Pregnant after 35

Constipation & enemas

Hello ladies! 

I understand that constipation is normal during pregnancy and maybe even expected if you are taking Zofran for nausea/vomiting.  Well, last week I was so constipated and sat on the toilet for a long time straining and so forth.  I could tell the crap was there but just not coming out.. like it was too big or too hard or something disgusting like that.  After sweating and crying I called the OB and asked what I could do.. I was extremely desperate!  I tried looking up some info online and just figured to call her office because I had too many questions. 

She told me the usual stuff about fiber and stool softeners or even de-compacting it with my fingers if I was up for the challenge which I nearly was.  Then she told me it was okay to use an enema!  She said that once or twice was ok but to not do this regularly.  Oh, btw, the one she recommended was Fleet and although it stung (due to straining so much I believe) it worked!  The thing is, I have now used them 3 separate times - over the number she said but it's just that it gets so bad and I am so miserable.. anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of things that have worked for them when they are SUPER constipated?  Has anyone had to use enemas?  I am not going to use enemas any more and I have upped my fiber intake and am trying to drink a ton of water.  Also, I do not need Zofran much anymore- not like before.  I just don't know what to do when the crap is literally right there, ready to come out and yet doesn't!
Sorry- TMI for sure but any help would be appreciated. 

Re: Constipation & enemas

• I feel for you, I really do. I had the exact same problem in first tri and no matter what excellent advice I followed, nothing made a difference. I was in pain so often it wasn't even funny. I used dulcolax suppositories a few times and at first it helped but about the third time it didn't seem to do the trick anymore. I hate to tell you but I did have to resort to digging eventually because it just wouldn't soften up or budge in the least. It was so painful. I ended up compacted having to do this 3 times before things finally began to improve.

I wish I had a magic answer for you. Mine got better in second tri and eventually things got moving again. I think all you can do is diligently follow the tips...drink lots of water, get some exercise, get plenty of fiber, take colace on a regular schedule...I don't know if anyone recommended miralax to you but it really helps some people. Also try eating a banana every day and get plenty of other fruits like plums and grapes.

So sorry you're going through this. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I feel like I already gave birth several times. Just know that it will get better. If it gets so bad nothing works you may just have to get brave and resort to manual labor...it's gross but you'll feel so much better when it's over you won't even care. Hugs!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Haha!  I was just thinking the other day that if I can't handle this pain, what on earth will child birth be like and will I be able to handle that!  Thank you @Guennie for your advice and best wishes.  I will try Miralax.. or at least purchase it and keep it on hand. 
    Gosh, it's just the worst thing in the world isn't it?  If I need to do the manual stuff then I guess I will.  Seriously, when in that situation I think I'd try pretty much anything!  Thanks again for the tips.  I have my little shopping list now.  I'm so glad to know that it will get better and I just have to be super mindful right now.  Glad you aren't dealing with this kind of stuff anymore!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, it was a HUGE relief when I finally started feeling back to normal! And there were seriously a couple times I was in so much pain I almost asked DH to take me to the ER.

One more word of advice, try not to stay sedentary all day. I was also on Zofran with horrendous nausea and the days I didn't manage to get moving around at all were the days it got the worst. When I started feeling better and was able to walk around it really helped.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • I just spent time at the OB Triage today for this VERY ISSUE.  I feel for you. Everything Guennie said is right on.

One more thing I've tried with miralax : Warm a glass of apple juice and add the miralax to the warm apple juice.  That eases things a bit.

I haven't found anything that keeps me regular right now.  My OB told me today to cut back on the Zofran and try Zantac with tums to calm some of the nausea....

Best of luck to you!!!!

Me = 39 DH = 50 TTC (since 01/2009 after a short break, I stopped counting *cycles* in 2010)
    DX 2010 : Unknown Infertility , AMA
    HSG 2005 = Normal / HSG 2010 = Normal
    SA 2005 = Normal / SA 2010 /2012 = Slightly low count : motility, morphology GREAT!
    Chromosomal analysis, MTHFR, ANA's, Lupus, Protein C, Protein S, APCR = Normal 2011

M/C : 2005 (7wk), 2010 (6wk), 2011 (7wk)

8 IUI's 2010-2011 all BFN

IVF/ICSI antagonist 01/2012 #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI antagonist long 06/2012 #2 = BFN

IVF/ICSI/CGH MDLF New Clinic/New RE 11/2012 #3 = One beautiful boy blasty frozen PGS normal

IVF/ICSI/CGH MDLF 02/2013 #4 = One more beautiful boy blasty frozen PGS normal

FET 6/20 : One 5AA PGS normal transferred Beta 1 6/28 = 53.9 / Beta 2 7/1 = 220 / Beta 3 7/3 = 550!

1 U/S  6w3d - Heartbeat 119 /  2 U/S - 7w5d- Heartbeat 169 / 3 U/S (OB) 8w5d - Heartbeat still great!

Baby G welcomed into the world 3/7/2014

SAIF / PAIF always welcome ****

• I just spent time at the OB Triage today for this VERY ISSUE.  I feel for you. Everything Guennie said is right on.

One more thing I've tried with miralax : Warm a glass of apple juice and add the miralax to the warm apple juice.  That eases things a bit.

I haven't found anything that keeps me regular right now.  My OB told me today to cut back on the Zofran and try Zantac with tums to calm some of the nausea....

Best of luck to you!!!!

OMG I'm so sorry! I hope yours will ease up faster than mine did! BIG HUGS!!!
  • ok, I'm an RN and I've been in your shoes with this pregnancy.  Its horrible and painful and you're literally desperate.  Now on to your questions:

1. does anyone have any suggestions of things that have worked for them when they are SUPER constipated? Try eating more fruit to use their natural laxative effect.  I have found watermelon works perfect for me.  ;)   now we go through a bunch of water melon here weekly, lol
    You can take Colace stool softener over the counter twice a day, its safe for you and the baby. 

Has anyone had to use enemas? No but I have resorted to the disempacting.  Its not something anyone ever wants to do to themselves and I've been there.  :(

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Just a step short of "disempacting" you can use manual pressure inside you vagina (pressing back towards you rectum with a full fingers length) to help direct the BM out of your rectum as you push.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OK, thanks all. Yup, so disturbing but hey, if it's got to be done... :/
  • One more thing...pay attention to what you are eating. If you can manage to add more foods with a lot of moisture like soups and such it might help. I ate a lot of very solid foods such as potatoes and bread in first tri because of the nausea and I think it made the constipation worse.
  • Guennie- that's totally me.. potatoes/breads with the occasional salad.  Well, that was until 2 days ago and I've been trying to eat leafy stuff, fruits and all the items recommended in previous posts.  It's hard to eat stuff when so nauseous but I think fruit is starting to get tastier so thank goodness for that.
    I'm so fearful that I will need to resort to doing this myself (manual) but I see it can be done and I will survive.  Hopefully I will regulate at some point in the near future. I walked around a lot this evening and am trying to keep more active.  Somethings gotta give, haha.
  • Push the fruit, and berries!! I almost forgot, my DH brought me home some fresh raspberries and it helped!
  • You can also push around the rectum opening to help move it out :/
    man I never thought I would be discussing this on a forum board, lmbo

Pregnancy%20ticker

Anniversary

• So I am normally irregular, but with the pregnancy, vitamins, extra iron it's at an all time high! I have tried EVERY food/drink item ever suggested by anyone and no food works for me. I am literally on a regimen. 1 colace a day and 1 dose of miralax a day. Now neither of these meds work quickly, they both say the will produce a movement in about 3 days. So it's not like an aspirin you can take when u have a headache. You have to take them for several days to get results. But for me every night I take my prenatal and 1 colace and then during the day a dose of miralax. I finally got my combination right and after about 2 weeks started to go daily and smoothly. Good luck!
  • fairy_diva:  OK, I have used the method of pushing around the rectum and it did work without getting too freaking gross. 

winecheese&grapes: I am now taking Colace as well as Miralax but have only just started so we shall see in a few days I suppose.

I guess this is something that will just take a lot of extra effort and diligence.  Ugh!  Thanks for the tips/advice ladies!  I would never wish this on anyone that is for sure.
  • Lol. No me either, and its amazing what you will do for relief. I'm sore down there from this constant constipation. It's ridiculous!

Pregnancy%20ticker

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"