March 2014 Moms
Options

Need some advice..

So here's the situation: I'm pretty unhappy with my current job and have been looking for a new place of employment. I'm not so much worried about quitting my current job as I am having to explain to a new (potential) employer that I'm pregnant. Now I'm only 10 weeks so I'm not super far along. So I guess what I'm asking is do I tell them right away during the interview or do I wait until I (hopefully) get the job and let them know? I know they would provide leave but I'm not sure for how long or how long I will have had to work there to receive it.

Re: Need some advice..

• Options
    I would provide it after specifically because it does not affect your potential as a prospect. Unless the job is something that has major physical requirements that you will not meet.
  • Options
    The way I see it, it's non of their business. It's a need to know basis.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd probably tell them after you get the job. Keep in mind a lot of employers require you work for them a full 9 months before you qualify for Maternity leave. Check their employee handbook
  • Options
    Depending on your hate for your job, I would honestly suck it up and take advantage of the benefits (FMLA?) if you have them.  If there's nothing keeping you there like that, then I definitely wouldn't bring it up in an interview.  It's so early you "may not have known you were pregnant" (long shot but hey - it happens!) and so if you DO get a new job - you can say you found out a little late?  Just make sure they know your dedication to the new position :)
    1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I figured I shouldn't bring it up in the interview but its one of those things that I needed just a little more reassurance. And the job I'm at now allows me to take leave but can't guarantee that I would have a job when I get back. This new place is a solid career that would be much more stable. :-bd
  • Options
    I personally would not tell them. Yes, legally they're not allowed to discriminate against you because you're pregnant but they can find other reasons to not hire you. They can just say you're under qualified even if you're not just so they have a legal reason for not hiring you. It's none of their business. (I've thought a lot about this because I've also been looking for jobs). Good luck in your job hunt!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I wouldn't tell them, but it's hard to know for sure if you'll qualify for FMLA. I work for a Fortune500 company and you have to work a specific number of hours to qualify--I'm not sure if that's part of the federal guidelines or not, but my company is very by the book so I would guess it is. I wouldn't qualify with only 6mo of employment.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree with what PPs have said. I wouldn't tell them at the interview. But I think that big thing would be the FMLA leave. If I remember correctly I needed to be employed for 6 months and in good standing with my company, before I was able to be eligible for FMLA.

• Options
    Put on some spanx and interview away! They do t need to know!
    BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • Options
    I'm struggling with this too. There has been a lot of change at my company lately, and it's making me nervous so I've been interviewing. I'm planning to not mention it until when/if we get to salary negotiations.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm working on getting a permanent position in my job, and I am choosing not to say anything until after the permanent jobs come out. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"