Special Needs

Halloween Costumes

What is your LO wearing for a Halloween costume this year? DS hates tags, long sleeve and basically any type of unusual feeling fabrics. I feel like there is not much out there for him to choose from.
proof-3 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Halloween Costumes

• Probably goldie locks again. DD is blessed with beautiful naturally curly blonde hair, and the costume is just a dress with three bears sewn into a pocket. Her babysitter tried putting on her DDs old "lion" costume on her the other day which has a "hood", DD politely stated "All done lion" LOL so I guess its a no frills costume for us again this year.
  • DS doesn't care about fabric/texture/etc, but last year was a train conductor. Pretty simple - t-shirt over striped overalls - that would probably work for most sensory issues. This year, I have no idea. I am guessing he might want to be a firefighter or superman, but it could change by then. 
  • Loading the player...
  • He screamed blue murder when we stuffed him in last year's costume (see below). He's gravitating toward Pixar characters this year, but I expect him to change his mind several times before October. I'm kinda hoping the wolf suit still fits. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • DS1 is obsessed with trains so he is going as a train engineer. He really doesn't have a preference or any understanding about Halloween at this point.

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For school this year I'm just going to stuff him into some sort of superhero costume so he at least resembles his classmates. Costco has a whole slew of them right now that are basically just polyester suits- he could wear them over his regular cotton clothing and skip the mask. Now for trick or treating, last year at the last minute I found some battery operated halloween lights on sale. I wrapped them around his costume (he was a "sewer monster" basically an ugly lizard costume from Target)- he LOVED the lights, of course, so I'm trying to think of some way to incorporate them this year. Does your son like balloons? I've seen some cute costumes with balloons- regular clothes and a "hot air balloon"? I've learned to let go of my expectations over the years, it really just isn't DS' thing. I try to reason that I've saved a boatload of money making expensive costumes.
  • I have no idea yet.  DH will actually be home for Halloween this year (the last Halloween he was here for was 2009 - thank you military) and I think it will be fun to do a family type theme since this will probably be the last year I can convince DS1 to do that.  I also want to incorporate DS2's wheelchair into the costume (when we used a wagon for the boys we always transformed the wagon).

DS1, DS2, and I were superheroes last year (Spiderman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) and we turned DS2's wheelchair into a psuedo Batmobile.

This year we may be going as Scooby Doo and turning the wheelchair into the Mystery Machine.  I don't know yet though.  If anyone has ideas for us that would be awesome.  :-)

• DD1 says she wants to be a dragon. This has been consistent for a couple of weeks now, so I think it might be her final choice. She really, really wants to have wings, so I might just dress her in color-matched clothes and order a set of fabric dragon wings from Magic Cabin, and a dragon hat to put on top of her head (rather than cover her face). 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • -auntie- said:
    mommy0411 said:
    I got real good at cardboard which was a shame because I sew really, really well and looked forward to making costumes for DS as I had for my nieces and godchild (who is a musical theater grad/actress) He was a shark on year- there's a pretty simple pattern and it's felt. DS's psychologist put the kibosh on being "things" but OK's being an animal. LOL, after I made it DS insisted I add the claspers which are the male shark's external organs of generation because he wanted to be a male shark. So yeah, I sewed shark dicks. He was very proud of them and pointed them out to his kindie classmates and everyone he saw trick or treating. 

Interesting re: the bolded. My son has asked to be a fan the past two years. We didn't allow him to be one last year, but I was considering making him a plane or helicopter costume for this year so that it would have some sort of fan-like apparatus on it. I'm conflicted over whether this would be indulging his special interest too much or if I should just let him be what he wants since it's just a one-time thing. I'm not really sure what we'll do for Halloween this year. Last year we cut trick or treating short because he had a huge tantrum over not being allowed to go  inside the houses to check out ceiling fans. He could've cared less about the candy he just wanted to get a look at all the neighbors' fans!

Also, lol about sewing shark dicks and the inadvertent klan costume.

• This will be the first year Lily has her wheelchair for Halloween. So, we're all going as Mario Kart characters. Lily will be princess peach in her peach kart, and DH is going to be realistic Mario (red shirt, blue overalls, a mustache and his Mario hat). I don't know who I'll be yet. But, I figure I still have a month to worry about it.
               image      image      image
  • d.fd.f member
    edited September 2013
    DS wants ALL of the costumes lately. He's loving playing dress up with his 6 year old cousin (princess and super hero or fighting over being just puppies or super (hero) puppies). I'm kind of loving all the pretend play she's forcing out of him.

Anyway I bought him the Iron man and Snake Eyes (he thinks it's just a ninja costume) at Costco . I think he'll be Iron Man but if I find a reasonably priced Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume he'll be all over it.

The year before last (we had no idea about anything yet) was painful. We did end up getting him in his lion costume on Halloween by putting pajamas under it. For events prior to Halloween we tied a bandana around his neck put a cowboy hat on his head. Still even today if he's in a costume and some one asks if he's the character he immediately tells them "no, I'm just DS". He might thrown in a "I'm just pretending"

DS 09/2008

• DS1 loves police so he and DS2 are wearing their police costumes (they already have matching ones that they use regularly) and DS3 is going to be dressed as "the bad guy" in a black and white striped outfit. DS1 has a power-wheels police car and we plan to let him drive it on the sidewalk with the lights flashing (with DH walking next to them) to trick or treat and DS3 & I will be behind them in with the stroller.

• DS is going to be Bam Bam and his sister will be Pebbles. She has reddish hair that will fit the part and he is a tough little wild man, so he will fit his part, too :) DH and I may also join in and dress as Fred and Wilma...Since they are only 2 and 3, we will just be taking them to their grandparents houses, no actual trick or treating.
    K, born 05/06/10 B, born with a few surprises 07/20/11  

• Auntie - thanks for that laugh.  Sewed shark dicks.  Awesome.

ODS has said he wants to be a police officer - fine by me, should be easy enough to find.  And I'm pretty psyched because this is not even remotely inside is "field of interests" so its a stretch for him, but he's been adamant when I ask him, every time, police officer.

YDS wants to be superman, even easier. 
  • I'm not sure how much DS gets about Halloween. He won't wear a mask or any sort of face paint...a hat or outfit with a hood is also probably a no-go. This could get interesting. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ginlyn0Ginlyn0 member
    edited September 2013

DS is going as a minion from Despicable Me. Overalls, yellow shirt & hat (he probably won't keep on for very long). I have ordered his overalls and I am still looking for a comfy long sleeved yellow shirt. I plan on knitting his hat later this month. He really likes the Minion Run game on the iPad so I figured this would be my best shot.

After I ordered the overalls, I stumbled apon this shirt on Amazon while looking for a plain yellow shirt. https://www.amazon.com/Old-Glory-Unisex-baby-Costume-T-shirt/dp/B0012PYVZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378236766&sr=8-1&keywords=yellow+zig+zag+shirt DH and I were like, oh that would have been a perfect, easy costume. Maybe next year.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"