February 2014 Moms

Weight gain?

This is my first baby and I'm worried I'm not gaining enough weight, I'm 17 weeks and have gained 3 pounds. What has everyone else gained? Everything I read says 6-10 lbs is average. Thanks!

Re: Weight gain?

• I've gained about 3 and am almost 17 weeks. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • If your doctor isn't concerned, you shouldn't be.
    If you want to gain more, try more calorie dense foods- nuts, avocado, etc.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've gained 5 Pds and I'm 15 weeks and some change...but after that breakfast I had, I probably gained 10 more
  • I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and I'm still down 5 pounds, originally had lost 10. I don't think there is really a "normal" and you will probably start gaining more after the 20 week mark. Baby is still on the small side right now. What does your doctor say?

TTC: 8/11    BFP: 5/13   EDD:2/2/14   Born 1/13/14

• I'm 16 weeks today and down a few lbs. but my dr is worried. As long as your weight is not drastically changing in either direction and your baby is growing your fine.
  • Thanks! I go see my dr this week so I will see what she says. :)
  • I'm nearly 18 weeks and have only gained 3 lbs to date. Just saw my OB on Thursday and everything was fine with LO. As long as your OB isn't worried and you're eating a healthy diet, try to enjoy this time. My OB reminded me that I'd be gaining weight soon enough. :)
    October Siggy Challenge "Scared People"
    BFP#1: 10-20-12 Missed M/C: 11-30-12
    BFP#2: 5-26-13 Due Date 2-2-14 
    COUNTDOWN BEGINS
    COMING 2-2-14
    BABY K

• Omg... I'm going to pregnant mommy hell...I have gained 12... My doctor is not concerned but after reading about all you tiny little women I am! I'm 16 weeks exactly
  • 3 is great, so far I think I have gained 5. I think. I really haven't been keeping up with it. Bout my pregnancies I have lost weight in the first tri. gained some in the second lost in the 3rd. 

Gaining is really nbd yet. :) 

*BFP m/c  *BFP b/g twins *S/B 20w  *BFP DS A  1-12-12  *BFP m/c  *BFP m/c  *BFP *It's a boy again* EDD 2-5-14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Auto correct! Sorry I meant isn't *** worried!
  • I've gained 4 lbs and am 18 weeks
  • I'm still down the 10 pounds I lost in first trimester! I wouldn't worry too much like everyone else is saying. Trust us it will eventually come!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've gained about 5-6 lbs so far, so if you're only three as long as the doctor isn't concerned I wouldn't worry about it. You gain most of it in 2nd/ 3rd trimester anyway, so I wouldn't be too worried.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• In my first pregnancy I think I only gained around 3 lbs at 18ish weeks.  Then two months in a row I had big gains - i think 7 lbs each month. It is likely to all even out, if your dr isn't worried you shouldn't be either!  4 months from now you will be happy you didn't gain too much too early :-)
    DS 3.7.09
    mm/c 5.3.10 at 10 weeks
    DD 4.1.11
    mm/c 9.25.12 at 11 weeks
    c/p 3.20.13
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Tally06Tally06 member
    edited August 2013
    I am also still down the 10 pounds that I lost in the first trimester and haven't gained anything back.

Last pregnancy, I was up 14 pounds at this point.

Each pregnancy is different.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 17 weeks and am still two pounds less than I was pre-pregnancy.  My doctor said it was nothing to worry about and that if I hadn't gained anything by 25 weeks he would start to check into it but even then it could be no big deal.  He said he's seen women who never gained anything the entire pregnancy still have normal weight babies.  But as PP have said, my doctor isn't concerned with me but that doesn't mean the same for you necessarily.  I would just bring it up to yours at your next appt, but in the meantime, I wouldn't sweat it.
  • jennylryanjennylryan member
    edited August 2013
    I'm up 12-13 pounds prepregnancy weight but according to BMI, was consider slightly underweight. I'm also carrying twins and really working at gaining more now because I know when third tri hits, I won't be able to eat as much. I agree with others though, this really isn't something to compare to others, we all had different starting points, metabolisms, morning sickness, etc. See what your OB says!
    ETA: I'm 16w2d for mobile users
    Jenny-34, DH-39, Furdog-Nissa
    TTC#1 since Aug '05, CP: 10/05, 8/12; BO: 1/13;
    IUI #8: BFP, beta 1, 6/4/13: 267, beta 2, 6/6/13: 765; First US 6/18/13-Twins!!!
    Due February 13, 2014 with two BOYS! 
    Henry Leo, 4# 13oz, 18.75 inches and Samuel Thomas, 6#, 18.5 inches arrived via c-section January 30th!  

• Okay now I'm getting a complex....I'm only having one!
  • I've only gained 3 lbs. at 16 weeks and my doc said that's good. Don't worry about it this early on. Depending on how much extra weight you carried before pregnancy, you may not need to gain much anyway. Your doc will let you know if/when your weight becomes any concern.
    Batman_dickbutt photo 328_batmansmall.jpg

Feb. 2014 Moms January Siggy Challenge: Cute & Clumsy Animals
    Maru!
  • I know bookshelves.... It will happen again after giveing birth too....I manage to just smile at one of my frienda who recently exclaimed " I actually lost 15 pounds this pregnancy... You might be that lucky too! " I have never lost weight while pregnant, but I know people do. I just envision myself as Violet Beuregard (sp) from Willie Wonka!
  • It really depends on what your weight was pre pregnancy.  we're you underweight, healthy weight or overweight.  If you are underweight you should gain more weight, if you overweight you should gain less.

I was a healthy pre preg weight but if you did my BMI calculation I was on the edge of underweight.  I've gained 10lbs and I'm 17 weeks.  I gained 48 lbs. with DS and was the same pre preg weight with him.  Everyone's body is different and your body kinda knows what it needs to gain with each pregnancy.

• Don't eat buttered pop tarts and you should be fine (oops, that's now an outdated joke I am sure, it was the height of comedy last pregnancy)

• I'm 16 weeks and thought I'd gained several pounds...but according to the doctor's scales this morning, NOTHING. I didn't get scolded, but she did tell me that if I haven't gained some by next appointment (at 20 weeks), I WILL get scolded. Sounds like this is fairly normal.

Pregnancy Ticker

• notreal2 said:
    Don't eat buttered pop tarts and you should be fine (oops, that's now an outdated joke I am sure, it was the height of comedy last pregnancy)
    How about peanut butter Pop Tarts? {{Drool}}

Pregnancy Ticker

• I've gained about 12 @ 17 weeks, which freaked me the hell out, but from what I can understand everyone is all over the map and different, so I wouldn't be concerned, and yes your doctor would definitely tell you if you should be.  

I'm trying really hard (and often failing) not to focus on weight as much.  It's very hard, though--I was overweight to begin with and I can gain weight even eating healthfully and exercising.  

It's definitely one of the harder parts of being pregnant--everyone keeps telling me to relax about it, I should be gaining, I'm pregnant, but it's still a really hard thing to adjust to, especially if you had body image hangups to begin with--and I totally did, despite my better efforts.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am fifteen weeks and have lost about 11 pounds now due to sickness! My doctor isn't concerned, you shouldn't have a problem :)
  • I'm 16 wks, 6 days and since I've stopped loosing I've gained around 1-2 lbs.

Everybody is different.

My life, my love, my boys
    imageimage

DS: Liam born 8.30.10 at 35 wks (PPROM, Pre-E, C-Section)

DD: BFP 6.9.13, EDD 2.12.14, A/S 9.20.13... It's a Girl!

Adeline Leigh born sleeping 2.11.14 at 39 wks 6 days

How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts. - Dorothy Ferguson

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"