April 2013 Moms

Toddler constipation

DS is almost 2 and has had issues lately with constipation. Unfortunately I think he is now holding it in because the last couple of BMs were painful. Pedi office nurse suggested a small dose of Miralax to try to regulate him after clearing him with a suppository. Anyone have any experience with Miralax? I am a little reluctant to start the little guy on meds for an indefinite period of time. We have tried juice, fruits, activity, etc without success however. Any advice or reassurance re using miralax?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Toddler constipation

• I haven't used Miralax for Ava but when she does get constipated we use probiotics. That plus a few prunes seems to do the trick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My nephew and a friends daughter are both on miralax for chronic constipation. Nephew is 7 been on it since 5, friends daughter is 5 started at 4. Actually I used it when pregnant by order of my doc. Your system does not become dependent on it. It also isn't like a lot of laxatives where it can cause diarrhea and cramping. Super calm to the system!
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Loading the player...
  • I could have written this post myself!! We tried everything.... Fresh fruit smoothies, prunes twice a day, pear juice, dried cherries.... You name it, we tried it! Didn't work. Her poops were rock solid and HUGE! She'd hold it for DAYS and in those holding days he would become more and more difficult to handle! Sometimes it would take 2 days for her to actually poop and she appeared to be in as much pain as I was giving birth. I finally read this book called "the ins and outs of poop" and it finally convinced me to try Miralax. After starting her on miralax in April after baby was born she was a completely different kid! Before Miralax we couldn't even get her to come in the same room as the baby.... After miralax we got her to sit down and take pictures with him and give him kisses. She was happy and easy to manage again. We had no idea how much pain she was in from her poop until she wasn't in pain anymore! We played around with her dose to find the right amount. It seems like half a cap every other day is just right for us. I know it's undesirable to put your kid on meds for an unknown amount of time but in my experience it has been totally worth it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One more thing about miralax.... It's not a laxative... It's a softener. It pulls more liquid into the poop so it's not hard when it comes out. No cramping or discomfort.... Just really stinky poop :)
  • Thanks for the reassurance. We have tried it now for 3 days with no results. Unfortunately we are going to have to try the suppository now to get it out and then do the miralax to keep things moving. The kid loves fruit and never stops moving, so I'm not sure why he's having problems, but I can't watch him cry again while pooping. That was miserable for both of us. Glad your daughter is doing so much better. Hope to be in that club soon!!
  • We never did a suppository. Just kept pushing the miralax and it finally worked. I know the feeling of watching your kid cry while pooping. It is horrible!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"