Baby Names
Options

Emilio for a non-Latino/Spanish/Italian kid?

dollypardondollypardon member
edited August 2013 in Baby Names
I'm down to a solid top five list of names, and Milo has been in the running for awhile now. Even though it's in my top two, I think I'm going to let it go because:

1.) A friend has just called dibs on Miles, and, honestly, I'm expecting Miles to jump into the really trendy (Aiden/Sophie) list soon, and:

2.) A lady at the baby store the other day, when I listed my names to her, kind of winced and said "Yaaaaaa... we've been getting a ton of Milos lately" and strongly approved one of my other names as a better choice.

I'm bummed about Milo but just realized that I really like Emilio, which is sort of in the same family of names. My husband has a half-Cuban son from a previous relationship named Julien, and I think the two names work really well together...but my husband and I are both super white. I'm of Italian/French decent and he's Italian/Irish, but we're ethnically...nothing. 

Do you think the name Emilio would get side-eyed? I know that Emilio Estevez is a person, but other than that, what do you guys think about the name?

I'll leave the other choices out of the discussion for now as I'm pretty sure at least one of them would be an "OMG NMS" derailer.

Re: Emilio for a non-Latino/Spanish/Italian kid?

• Options
    I like it
  • Options
    dollypardondollypardon member
    edited August 2013
    Here's Milo at #10 on the most viewed baby names of 2013 so far on Nameberry...

Arlo's in there too, another one of my picks. But the inclusion of Django discredits the reality of the list as a real predictor :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I looooove Arlo. I'm having a harder time with that one with the husband, but Arlo and Emilio are my current faves.

He really likes Barrett and (name I just can't put on this board that we both really like). I'm hoping for an Arlo Barrett or Emilio Barrett for now.
  • Options
    mh89mh89 member
    edited August 2013
    I would assume an Emilio was Hispanic but if you like the name, use it.

Personally I love the name Miles much more.
    image image

• Options

He really likes Barrett and (name I just can't put on this board that we both really like). I'm hoping for an Arlo Barrett or Emilio Barrett for now.

Just a guess, is the unsaid name Emerson?

I like Emilio and Arlo a lot.

• Options
    I love Milo, I don't see it as the same as Miles, but maybe that's just me. I do like Emilio. Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like Milo could even be a NN for Emilio.
    ✯             ✯              ✯          ✯               ✯     ✯             ✯         ✯     ✯          ✯                   
  • Options

Meh, Hugo's on our list (and we're about as white as you guys are; probably "whiter" since I'm all Scandinavian), and it's basically as "ethnic" as Emilio. Also, lots of people have been using Emilia as an alternative to Amelia, so I wouldn't really sweat it. Like PP said, it's not exclusively a Spanish name.

As far as Milo...I don't know. The numbers don't lie, but it seems to be on about everybody's short list. I know one Milo about DD1's age. It's popular, but it'll likely never be Aidan-popular.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Emilio is a nice name. I wouldn't limit myself based on the origin of a name.
    Anniversary *TTC since 09/11 *Me-29 (low AMH) *DH-35 (moderately low sperm count) *First RE appointment 09/12 *IUI #1 with injectables 12/12 image
  • Options
     Well, if you and dh are part Italian, then why not Emilio? And you could use Milo as a nn if you choose.

Where I live and work, there are many people of Italian and Portuguese descent, so it's not unusual and neither is the nn. No one would bat an eye at it.
  • Options
    With Emilia becoming more popular I wouldn't think twice if I met a little Emilio.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"