3rd Trimester

I need to hear good birth stories!

I am 34 weeks, this is my first pregnancy and I am getting really freaked out about the childbirth process....the stretching of my girlie parts, crowning, and something that big coming out of something that small....oh yeah and the tearing! It prob didn't help the cause that I googled childbirth pictures...eeeek! Any veteran moms out there that want to share there experience to help ease my anxiety?

Re: I need to hear good birth stories!

• Here's an entire board of birth stories.  Birth Stories - The Bump
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am 34 weeks, this is my first pregnancy and I am getting really freaked out about the childbirth process....the stretching of my girlie parts, crowning, and something that big coming out of something that small....oh yeah and the tearing! It prob didn't help the cause that I googled childbirth pictures...eeeek! Any veteran moms out there that want to share there experience to help ease my anxiety?
    I am with you. I've been googling "positive birth stories" for the last week to keep myself from getting a full blown panic attack about the birth process. I am terrified of it, honestly just want that day beh  behind me as a bad dream lol. Hope it'll be not as bad as I think it'll be 
  • Loading the player...
  • mcg512mcg512 member
    edited August 2013
    Here's an entire board of birth stories.  Birth Stories - The Bump
    Ask and you shall receive!  

Edit -  You can also check out the August and September BMBs.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image
  • Don't worry, your OB/MW will do all they can to prevent you from tearing, just be sure to listen carefully and follow their lead. Don't tense up anxiously, that will serve to make it worse. 
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I wouldn't be looking at pictures, maybe look up different birth videos on YouTube instead.

A woman's body is meant to give birth,to stretch to accommodate the baby they grow and tearing happens, but while you're in the midst if pushing, the endorphins kick in and it's your bodies natural pain killer. Plus if it looks like you are going to tear badly enough, the doc can numb you up and you won't even know it.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not mine but I have permission to share it: 

My cousin, a FTM, who ate well and ended up with GD as well as Pre-E actually ended up having an awesome experience. She needed to be induced, but wanted to avoid pitocin. Her doctor was able to break her water. Her labor went quickly for her - it lasted about six hours. She pushed three times and delivered a healthy baby boy, all without any kind of medication. She had a second degree tear, but she said that she was on such a high that after he came out she didn't really notice her placenta being delivered or being stitched up. 

People will tell you their horror stories. But you're doing a disservice to yourself by Googling these things. Step away from Google. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Check out the 'birthing without fear' website too - some stories and pics are pretty graphic, but it's a good repository of honest birth stories.
  • As far as stretching of girly parts, your body is made to do it.  Your lower region will never be the same but for a lot of women, sex gets better after you have given birth.  That was true for me. Umm.. I don't even remember what it feels like to be crowning.  Too much going on to care really.  I enjoyed my birthing experience.   Induced at 42 weeks, labored allll night, pushed 2 hours in the tub, born at 8am.  For me it was easier and more pleasant delivery a baby than it was delivering the placenta.  I had a 2nd degree tear.  Took 2 hours to stitch me up.  I went med free.  So even after all of that, I am looking forward to giving birth again here in 5 weeks or so!  Its so empowering and rewarding getting to hold your LO and bring them home finally.  I actually had some weird post partum feelings and didn't want to leave the hospital!  I felt like I would be leaving all of those special memories behind.  My MW said it was normal to feel sentimental like that.  The real uncomfortable part isn't the birthing experience.  Its the recovery period.  I bled for about 5 weeks.  You will probably pass some blood clots too so try not to freak out too much about that.  Bowel movements wont be the same.  Stool softener and peri bottles with warm water helps.  Sits baths hurt me so I just used the peri bottle to keep clean.  Yeah, I'm not looking forward to having to wear those huge pads and mesh undies.  Having all the discomfort postpartum.  But it only lasts like a month.  And its obviously worth it and nothing to be afraid of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My story isn't horrible...   Went in to labor and delivery at 7pm, admitted and put in a room at 9pm, walked the halls and the contractions got a lot stronger, got to 6cm and they broke my water, got an epidural right after that (pain!!), got to 10cm about an hour later, pushed and couldn't feel a thing because of the epidural and DD was born at 3:57am.   Did not tear much, but I did get some stitches.   I know that I will not get this lucky again, but I had a really good experience and have my fingers crossed  that this delivery will go just as smoothly.

I'm with everyone else.  Don't watch videos of births.   I can't watch those.  Even though I already had a baby come out of me, I don't want to watch it happen.    And google can be your enemy.
    January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is full of positive stories. The whole first half of the book is just great birth stories, all natural, maybe one with some kind of intervention. I felt really damn good after reading that book in general and go back and read the birth stories over again to feel even more confident. Literally, there are dozens, so the first time through I only read three or four and then skipped on to the rest of the book. I'm actually glad I did that because I still have a few I haven't read yet.

You can get a used copy pretty cheap on Amazon or it should be at your local library.

My favorite thing from the book that I keep reminding myself is that we are not surprised by the way that a penis can change size and shape so rapidly without damaging itself, we should believe that our vaginas are capable of doing even better. So, I believe in my vagina! is my mantra.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto on Ina May's Guide to Childbirth AND the website birthing without fear.  It's mind over matter - just like most physical challenges. 
  • FWIW I've had two great birth experiences.

DD1 was 7 hours of active labour (1 1/2 hrs pushing) She was 9lbs and I needed 2 stitches, which were no bother to have stitched up and healed without any hassle. Peeing stung for a day or two and that was it.

DD2 was 2 1/2 hours of active labour. Took about 6 contractions to push her out. She was 10lbs 2oz and had no tearing.

Both were med free.

I went into labour thinking, no matter how things panned out, it would be just one day out of my life and that I could handle it.

I agree with pp that the discomforts of post-partum recovery are no worse than the discomforts of late pregnancy.

We've all heard all of the horror stories, but that's because easy straight forward births and recoveries are kind of boring, so no splashes them around.

I was really scared of tearing badly but in the end it was a non-issues.
    Best wishes for your upcoming birth.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Mine isn't too bad, actually had a wonderful experience even though my labor was 10 hours.

Water broke on my chiropractors table at 3:30pm. Was at the hospital filling paper work out at 4:30, contractions just started. They didn't believe me my water broke so I was on the triage area from 4:30 till 7:30pm. Finally got my own room, terrible contractions till I got epidural at 10. Sebastian was born at 2:30am after 30 min pushing. No tearing whatsoever!!

And just an FYI, my mom had me in under an hour so it's not genetic :(
  • kcs7kcs7 member
    annasi83 said:
    Ditto on Ina May's Guide to Childbirth AND the website birthing without fear.  It's mind over matter - just like most physical challenges. 
    and double ditto on Ina May's Guide to childbirth! :) I haven't looked at the website birthing without fear, but I think I shall! You will be ok. :) 

• My advice is to think about the fact that even if your labor and delivery isn't exactly as you hope it will be, it is only one day in your life. By that time you will have already survived 9 months of pregnancy, and you were strong enough to handle that. You can handle anything for one day! My labor with DS1 was long (about 22hrs), but I had no major issues, and a healthy baby boy, who immediately wiped out all the bad stuff just with his presence. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Coastal Living Mom Blog: http://thecoastallivingmom.wordpress.com/
  • I was terrified too with all the horror stories and from our birthing class, but you're going to be great! I started getting contractions around 2 pm the day they were going to induce. When I arrived for my induction at 7 pm I was already 3 cm dilated. By midnight I was 8 cm and ready for an epidural. Once I got the epidural I was in heaven. The contractions really hurt but I could've handled more. I was just worried of hitting the point of no return or there being a rush of women needing an epidural and waiting an hour to get mine, so I was happy with when i got my epidural when I did. The epidural was HEAVEN and I slept till my water broke at 3 am and at 6 am i was ready to push. I pushed 4 times over a 15 min period and out popped our 7 lb 13 oz son. I needed 2 stitches but they didn't hurt. They sent me home with 2 kinds of pads normal tucks and others that had a cream with cocaine on it. I didn't need to use the cocaine one. Honestly the birthing process was MUCH better than I imagined and once you hold your LO it will be all worth it. It's the one time in your life that you go into a hospital and leave with an incredible gift.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• JCWhiteyJCWhitey member
    edited September 2013
    Definitely check out Birth Without Fear, it is amazing for positive birth stories!  https://birthwithoutfearblog.com/  I spent hours reading stories on there.

I plan to submit my own birth story, actually.  I had a 5 hour and 14 minute labor from my water breaking to the moment he was born.  My contractions started an hour after my water broke, so I really only had 4 hours of contractions.  I had no meds at all anytime during the labor or after (well, I took a Tylenol a couple of hours later because I was sore), an IV for about 10 minutes before I had them remove it, pushed for 45 minutes, and had an intervention-free vaginal delivery.  Pushing was AMAZING!  When he was out and on my stomach I looked at my husband and told him I wanted to have another baby just so I could do that part again.  I felt empowered and, for me, it was completely painless and I'm not even kidding about that.  My Mom claims the same thing.   The worst part for me was being told NOT to push when I really wanted to because I wasn't completely dilated when the urge started.  Once I was able to it was pure bliss! 

I was a first time, mom, too.  My birth wasn't very typical at all and you shouldn't expect to have one like mine, but even long labors can be tolerable and, of course, as long as it all ends iwth a healthy baby that's what really matters!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"