School-Aged Children

Any of your school agers share a room with infant/toddler?

I may be in this situation soon and just wondering how it is working for you.  I have an 8 year old (almost 9), an almost 2 year old, and have another due in a few months.  So I have the choice of bunking the 9 and 2 year old in the same room, or the 2 year old and infant in the same room.  Not sure which is worse, LOL...

The oldest is a hard sleeper, but I worry about him needing privacy soon??  The 2 year old is not a good sleeper so I hate to imagine an infant waking him up.  I will keep the infant in my room for the first 6-8 weeks like I did for my other 2.  I guess I could always put the 2 year old in his own room, and but the baby in the room with my oldest.

All 3 will be boys.

Re: Any of your school agers share a room with infant/toddler?

• All three of mine are girls :) 14, 5 and almost 9 months.

The oldest has her own room (as she needs her privacy, plus she stays up later reading and doing homework)

I have the 5 year old and the baby together and honestly, at this point, baby still sleeps in her pack and play in our room. I want to be sure that she is fully sleeping through the night before we put her in her shared room crib.

It can totally be done, but I second the previous poster- keep the small ones together and let your oldest have space.

• I am all for room sharing and believe older ones do not need strict privacy. My brothers were 4 1/2 years apart and they shared a room  since the younger was 1 and until the eldest was 18 and moved out.

Although, you have 2 closer in age. So I would keep the 2 closer in age together. It makes more sense. I have 3 little boys who began sharing rooms young (9 months for one, 3 months of age is when the last went in to share). They have learned to sleep through noise and a baby waking up. I also never made a point to have a quiet house for nap  time. Things kept going as they did. So the kids sleep well through a lot. They are now 6,5, and almost 4.

Due to construction, they did sleep with their 22 month old sister for a bit.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"