Working Moms

NWMR - Your Style/"Uniform"

Does anyone feel that their personal fashion style is somewhat of a uniform - e.g., in the summer: sundress and flip flops; or in the fall: jeans, boots, and a sweater? I used to hate the idea of looking like I had a personal uniform and I tried to mix things up a lot, but now (and I'm thinking it's because life just seems so hectic with working and taking care of DS), I just want to have a basic go-to outfit - and quite frankly, I'm not sure I even care if people see me in the same things repeatedly (this is in my personal life; right now I work from home so, thankfully, I don't have to think about work clothes!).  Maybe I would have variations of this "uniform" but in the end, it's still pretty much the same thing.  For me, this fall my "casual/dressy casual" go-to would be skinny jeans, flowy top, and flats (and maybe funk it up a bit with jewelry if I'm feeling sassy and I don't think DS will try to rip the jewelry right off me).  I just don't want to think about clothes on a day-to-day basis anymore.  Is this a totally boring approach to style?? (It's okay if you say yes! I'm truly curious what people think about this!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWMR - Your Style/"Uniform"

• I totally do.  My fall "uniform" is either boot cut or skinny jeans with a fitted t-shirt and a long sweater.  I'll wear it with either ballet flats or boots.  A lot of it is because I WFH and have no reason to dress up.  When/if we go out, I'll change things up a little - but even then I have a set style that I stick to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• I am not very fashionable. My work "uniform" is black or gray pants, a button up shirt or solid sweater, and black heels. At home it's sweatpants and a tee shirt, going out of the house it's jeans with flats or sneakers and a tee shirt or sweater. This is how I dressed before kids too, so I have no excuse. If I find a shirt or sweater I like I've been known to buy it in multiple colors. I guess I just don't care too much about style, maybe it comes from wearing a catholic school uniform all those years.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone! I'm in the throws of a style identity crisis so I appreciate the input! :-)
  • I try to look nice every day. I try to change things up but I have standards I don't change like i always wear pants to work and never dresses or skirts (too cold in the office).  Since work and my every day life is pretty casual I try to look nice and chic even though I could get away with super casual clothes likes jeans and t shirts every day. For me, I just feel better about myself and don't feel so frumpy. I try to paint my nails periodically which is an easy and cheap way to add style, I accessorize but mostly I organize my closet by category (work - non work) and then by color which makes it easier to get dressed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Having a uniform makes it so much easier for me to look put together.  In summer, pick flowy skirt, add solid top and sandals, throw on summer jewelry and go.  In fall, pull out skinny jeans, add on solid tee and a sweater, step into boots.  Once you have a system, you can go crazy with color or pattern of the shape you like (and that presumably works for you), without having to waste your time figuring out what kind of pieces (kind of top, skirt, jeans, shoe) to mix together.
    imageimageimage
  • I do this, too. For work, it's cardigan over something, black pants, flats or sometimes heels. Or a button up w/black/gray/brown pants. I rarely need to dress up more than that for work. On the weekends, it's jeans, t shirts and flips or casual shoes. I feel boring a lot of days, but I almost always gravitate towards the same things.
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think most people would have a basic "uniform," even if they don't realize it.  We all have things we're most "comfortable" in.  I'm trying to break the mold a bit, so I've been using stitch fix lately to try some things outside of my box.  It's been pretty fun to get some new pieces in my wardrobe!
  • Right now- whatever fits since i have a 10 mo old:) lately sheath dresses and slacks and collared shirt or suit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"