Birth Stories
Options

July 31 Birth Story (Long!)

My due date was August 10 and I had determined that my baby boy (as he was still unnamed) was going to be 2 weeks overdue.  Well he had other plans...

Saturday, July 27-I went a little crazy at the house...cleaning the back of ceiling fans and  unscrewing the light fixtures to be washed was just the beginning.  This type of behavior had been going on for awhile and I think DH was getting a little worried about my sanity.

Sunday, July 28-A friend and I went on a 2.8 mile walk in the evening.  The weather was beautiful and I didn’t even realize we had walked so far until her phone went off and announced the distance.

Monday, July 29-Probably over did it on the walking as I felt awful today.  I could not get up or move around without being in pain.  This was the first day of my pregnancy that I was truly uncomfortable.

Tuesday, July 30-Woke up at 5:30 to go to the bathroom and noticed a little something extra when wiping...it was the “bloody show”.  DH had training an hour from home and was a little reluctant to go, but I assured him it would be fine.  I continued to get ready for work and as I was about ready to walk out the door, I felt like I peed my pants just a little.  I thought this was a little odd, but I cleaned up and headed to work.  Through-out the morning I started to have period-like cramps, but didn’t bother timing them as they were very mild and seemingly infrequent.  

After lunch, I was in learning some new job responsibilites which involved being on my feet for a couple hours.  During this time I noticed the “cramps” were starting to be pretty regular and once again I had a moment where I felt like I peed my pants a little.  On my way back to accounting, I had a contraction (yes, this is the first time I actually felt like it could be more than a cramp) that lasted almost a minute.  It was 3:30 in the afternoon and I decided it was time for me to head home and relax for a bit as I had class that evening.

On my drive home, my longest and best friends convinced me that I needed to call my doctor to give her the heads up of what was going on as they were concerned the leaking was actually my water breaking.  The nurse conferred with the doctor and told me that I needed to go to the hospital to which I replied, “Do I have to go now?”  I knew the contractions were very mild and that not much was happening down there and I did not want to be stuck in the hospital laboring forever and risk the need for pitocin (which I had deemed my enemy).  She told me that if it was a matter of waiting thirty minutes for my husband to get home then that was fine, but not much longer than that.  Well I didn’t exactly heed the advice.

DH tried to convince me to listen to my doctor and go to the hospital, but I was adamant that I wanted to go to my class at 6:00 to take a test, and THEN we could go to the hospital.  We compromised and I stayed home from class and let him time the contractions.  They started out 7-8 minutes apart at about 4:30.  I walked around the house, had DH take a mini photo shoot, and convinced him we should walk the dogs.  During our walk I noticed the contractions were slightly more noticeable (still nothing more than bad period cramps though) and were coming about every four minutes.  At this point, he was not taking no for an answer so we packed up the car and headed to the hospital.  Note:  I was still in denial that anything was really happening.

We arrived at the hospital at 8:00 and entered through the ER entrance since admitting was already closed.  They wheeled (I protested that I was perfectly fine to walk, but once again did not win this battle) me straight up to labor and delivery where I was promptly hooked up to monitors.  Contractions were every 2-4 minutes apart at this point, but I was only 2 cm dilated and my cervix was “still way back there” according to the nurse (This was the first time I had been checked as my doctor does not perform internal check until 40 weeks).  She performed the test to see if my water had broken and left us to ourselves as we waited for the lab to provide the results.  I was so mad at DH at this point for making me come to the hospital I was almost in tears.  I was sure that I was getting sent back home...false alarm.

After an hour, my nurse came back in and said, “Well do you want to hear the good news or the....................good news.  Your water broke so you are not going anywhere...we’re going to have a Birth Day Party!”  I was in shock.  This was really happening.

They moved me to a labor and delivery room, hooked up my IV, and left me alone to labor. About 10:30, the nurse came back in the room to let me know she had called my doctor who was shocked that I was just now coming to the hospital, but she wanted to know what time my water had broken to which I didn’t really have any answer.  There had been the two instances of leaking, but no gushes.  Well to them I was on the clock since my water had "broken" and the nurse mentioned pitocin to which I promptly expressed my opinion on the subject.  She said she would let my doctor know, but that it may be necessary.  

Around 11:00 I was having a contraction and I felt the baby kick...next thing I knew water was gushing out of me uncontrollably.  I pushed the call button and explained that my water broke.  The nurse came in the room explaining that it was common for fluids to leak out during labor and that it probably wasn’t anything.  And then she saw the massive amount of fluid.  She checked me and confirmed that things had changed drastically as far as the baby’s position. I was still only 3 cm dilated, but the baby’s head was now “right there” as she put it.  It was game on from there.  The contractions intensified tenfold after that and I decided it was time for an epidural if I was going to get any rest during the night.  Epidural was administered around 12:30 and life was good after that.  I could still move my legs and I could still feel pressure every time I had a contraction, but the painful tightening sensation and my uncontrollable shaking subsided enough that I could snooze in between the 15 min blood pressure readings (very annoying by the way).

2:00-5 cm dilated 

3:45-7 cm dilated and feeling strong contractions.  The uncontrollable shaking had returned and I was having to breathe through the contractions despite the epidural.  By 4:15 I was feeling TONS of pressure.  I held off on calling the nurse because I thought I was just being a baby.  Well by 4:30 I gave in and called her to come checked me.  I think both her and I were doubting that anything had really changed, but when she checked me she said, “Yep, you’re complete.  I’ll call the doctor and there will be an “army” coming in to prep the room for delivery.”  *Another moment of shock:  I’m 10 cm dilated and this baby boy will be here before we know it!*  DH and I confirmed the baby’s name which had still been up in the air until this point.

I’m guessing it took them twenty minutes to get everything into place and then I started pushing with the nurses.  Well I only pushed 5 times and they decided I needed to breath through then next couple contractions while we waited on the doctor.  In my head I was thinking they were crazy!!!  Pushing felt so much better than breathing!!! But I just nodded my head and closed my eyes being the compliant patient for once.  

The doctor finally arrived and 5 or 6 contractions later, Gavin Frederic entered the world with a burst of fluid that made everyone in the room jump.  My beautiful, perfect little boy joined us at 5:40 a.m. weighing 7 lbs, 5 oz at 20.5 inches long (Not 11 lbs which was my husband’s guess while I was pushing.  The doctor promptly told him he could leave the room after that comment!)

I have to say that I felt spoiled during my pregnancy and delivery.  It was easy (I hate to use that word, but it really was!).  I had great skin, my hair was full, my weight gain was within the recommended guidelines, my epidural didn’t slow down labor as I had feared, and I didn’t need pitocin.  I feel like I owe a majority of the credit to keeping up an active lifestyle.  I continued to do crossfit, run, and go about my normal activities up until the day I gave birth.

I am not an avid poster, but really enjoyed reading everyone else's birth stories while I was pregnant so I wanted to share mine : )

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: July 31 Birth Story (Long!)

• Options
    One of the best stories I've ever read!!!! Post more! Start a dang blog! I love you!,,,,,!!!!! Congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Glad you had such a great experience!
    Pregnant with #3, after thee, three's complete!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glad you had such a great experience!
    Pregnant with #3, after thee, three's complete!!
  • Options
    We can all only hope to have a labor & delivery story as wonderful as yours!  congratulations on your little man!
    Me 35, DH 36
    TTC summer 2008
    Diagnose me. DOR, DH perfect
    IUI # 1 6/2010, BFN
    IUI # 2 8/2010, BFN
    IVF # 1 10/2010 Canceled poor response
    IVF 1.2 12/2010 BFP! mc 6 weeks 2 days
    Mental health break for 10 months
    IVF # 2 10/2011 BFN
    IVF # 3 5/2012 BFP! 10 eggs retrieved (best ever)
    7 fertilized transferred 3
    Beta #1 14dpo - 72, Beta #2 17dpo 145 Beta 3 20dpo 521
    First u/s June 15 saw HB 126 bpm missed m/c 7/5/12 10 weeks D&C 7/6/12
    IVF#4 ER 9/30 ET 10/3 Beta 10/16 BFFN. IVF #5 final with o/e. ER 1/21 only 1 retrieved, hoping my lonestar is the one. Beta #1 2/6/13 = 209.... please let this be it! Keep growing lonestar! Beta #2 2/8/13 - 586! , Beta #3 2/10/13 = 1898. First u/s perfect little heart beat at 116 bpm. Measure 6 weeks 1 day. EDD 10/14/13
    3/4/13 measuring right on track beautiful heartbeat 171 bpm, graduated from RE to OB... bittersweet.
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome! Its a girl! 

Maggie Grace is here!  10/5/13... 8lbs 6 ounces of pure joy!

TTC#2  No birth control since DD was born.  Getting ready to jump back in the saddle.  Weaning this month. RE
    appt scheduled 5/8.   Here we go again!

IFV# 6.  10/27  6 retrieved 4 mature 3 fertilized.  2 made it to 3dt 10/30. 1"very pretty 8 cell" and 1 6 cell.  Beta
    11/13.   Please stick embies!!!!  We love you so much already! 11/12/14  POAS, BFP... beta tomorrow!
    11/13 beta #1  924!!!  2nd bet 11/15 1906, one more on 11/17 3rd & final beta 3430.  First u/s 12/5, 7w4d, 2 heartbeats,
    both measuring right on track....2nd u/s... all is well... both beans measuring right on track... released from RE... first
    appointment with MFM 1/5.  Looks like this is really happening!

• Options
    Congrats! What a sweet baby!!
  • Options
    What a wonderful story! Congrats on your baby boy!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"