Infertility

Let's Talk Bloat

I have a work conference to go to and am using this as an opportunity to go buy new clothes. I'm just wondering how much bloat/weight you all gained when doing IVF? Was it mostly the stims that put it on? Did you go buy new clothes or just wear dresses/skirts, etc?

TIA :)

Re: Let's Talk Bloat

• I didn't need to buy new clothes just felt bloated but not noticeable to anyone else. Well I also don't wear tight clothes, they are still form fitting though but i had room in my clothes to begin with. The only thing i did notice was my tummy felt hard and heavy versus getting bigger if that makes sense. I would say just buy something your size but that the style is a little forgiving. I only gained 3lbs last ivf cycle. hope that helps lol good luck! (I hate shopping for clothes when I don't feel my best) 
  • I did not have any bloat until the day after the ET. And that was gone the next day.

dx:  Unexplained IF
     TTC since May 2011, 1 year trying, and then 3 TI, 2 IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 (May 2013):  Antagonist Protocol: 
    24R, 18M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 2 early blasts, no frosties = BFN
    IVF #2 (August 2013):  Lupron Stop Protocol: 
    28R, 23M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 1 partially hatched blast, 7 frosties = BFP
    EDD 5/23/14, blighted ovum (6w6d), D&C (8w6d)
    FET #1 (April 2014):  transferred 2 5d blasts = BFP
    C.J. born 01/09/15

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys! I think I was overthinking this bloat thing... sounds like it shouldn't be too bad!

• Well everyone is different but I heard some ladies saying to drink a lot of water and to lean towards proteins V.s carbs
  • Yes keep the fluids up! I have to say I did bloat quite a bit but I just wore my looser clothing rather than anything with a tight waist band. I found coconut water great for keeping my fluids and electrolytes up :)

TTC since mid-2011---Husband and I both late 20's---
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and dye test in Sep 2012- moderate endometriosis removed---
    Diagnosed with unexplained infertility---
    Clomid cycle 1 in Feb 2013- BFN---
    Clomid cycle 2 in Mar 2013- BFN---
    IVF #1 in May 2013- BFN---
    IVF #2 in August 2013-BFN---
    Endometrial biopsy identified high natural killer cells---
    FET #1 in Oct 2013-delayed---
    FET #1 in Nov 2013 with Intralipids-BFN---
    FET #2 in January 2014- BFN---

IVF #3 in March 2014 (new doctor new plan)-BFFN
    IVF #4 in June 2014 (last cycle with own eggs)- BFN
    IVF #5 in September 2014 (with donor eggs)- BFP plus 6 frozen blasts :)

http://tryingtoconceiveafamily.blogspot.com.au/

May Emerald / August Shooting Star / October Precious Pumpkin / November Harvest Hopeful / January Snowdrops / March Shimmering Shamrocks / June Bugs

• Wow, I am so surprised that you ladies didn't need different clothes! Oman average height/weight (5'8" and 150ish) and I bloated noticeably. I inherited a pain of maternity leggings and lived in those with forgiving dresses and empire waist tops during my march IVF. For my may IVF, I bought a pair of Capri maternity leggings to match my others. Lived in them through the second half of stunning and the week to two weeks following ER. If I could go back, I would wear loose leggings and tunic style tops and tees throughout for work and casual time.
    | Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
    PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

• Oh, and other gals here have used a Bella band to get through it. I could NOT wear my jeans again until 3 weeks after ER. My RE said that's normal.
    | Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
    PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

• @RosyGlow - oh wow, ok that is what I am talking about!  I don't want to spend a fortune right now on clothes (since our fortunes are being spent on IVF!) but I definitely want to be as comfortable as possible! Leggings + tunic tops are a good idea. I don't feel so silly now buying a pair of work pants in the next size up now :)

• New York & Co. makes a city knit pant that is kinda like work out pants/pj's but are dressy for work. The light colors show off every bump imaginable, but the darker colors are good. I swear by them whenever I am bloated, or after the holidays. I'm pretty curvy all around so no one would notice any extra weight, but I gain weight easily and would say 8-10 lbs per cycle is my average. (I gained 3 lbs from stress eating during my no drug IVF- so who knows how much hormonal eating occurred in the previous cycles)
    ***WARNING***

TTC Since 12/2008;  DH: 32, Azoospermia     me: 33, DX during IVF #4: Low AMH (Normal FSH) / SER due 
    to IVF Meds (causing failure to fertilize) Recent DX: Hashimoto's, Lupus Anticoagulant, White Blood Cell Disorder 
    High ANA, ATA, & APA, PAI-1 Heterozygous= blood clotting disorder; connective tissue disorder 
    IVF w/ ICSI #1 2/2011     IVF w/ ICSI #2 5/2011    IVF w/ ICSI #3 12/2012   *New RE* IVF w/ ICSI #4  5/2013
    IVF w/ ICSI #5 8/2013 (Natural Cycle- No drugs)- One follicle->one blast. CCS normal. FET 9/10- 6BB blast. m/c @ 5w
    IUI #1 12/23- BFN  IUI #2 Cancelled (ovulated during AF)  Prep:CoQ10 (300 mg); DHEA (25 mg); Melatonin (3 mg), Folgard 2.2, Metformin 500 2x, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Aspirin 81mg w/ calcium, B12,  Vit. D 4000 & Prenate Elite Daily; Cabergoline 1/2 pill 2x week-  Cycling: Estrace Priming; Prednisone 10mg, Lovenox 40mg 2x,  Femera & Menopur   
    IUI #2.1 6/30 & 7/1. 1st Beta: 90 (7/15); 2nd Beta: 226 (7/17); 3rd Beta: 766   EDD: 3/23/2015

**ALL WELCOME**                                    My Blog 

• ***sig warning***

Oh heavens! I wish I was like some of you who didn't bloat! I was HUGE in my gut from about day 6 of stims until a week after ET. It was an ugly sight! The bruises made the bloat that much more lovely. I did my stims in the Summer since I teach, so I lived in sweats. Sexy, huh? But, I could have never in a million years buttoned regular pants. I was at least 1-2 sizes bigger in my belly. I didn't actually gain weight, just bloat. I even drank loads of water. Your ovaries go from the size of golf balls to the size of softballs, so that will show up somewhere. This all being said, I'm only 5'2" tall and have a petite build, so maybe that's why?

Even if you don't (and hopefully you don't!) get bloated, you should definitely use it as an excuse to shop :) Of course, I'll use anything as an excuse to shop!!

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• I have struggled with my weight my whole life, but only gained 3-4 lbs stimming. I walked every other day to keep up my physical activity (that was the only approved exercise, but is my favorite anyways). I wore skirts or dresses to hide my belly at work and lived in workout pants (danskin brand, loose fitting style) from Walmart when out of work. You would think 3-4 lbs wouldn't be noticeable. But for a 5'7" girl that is mostly abdomen, every pound in my middle is over-pronounced. If I had gained it in my thighs, it would have been normal for me. Of course, I did discover maxi dresses during stimming...way more comfortable and still professional when done right, and they hide EVERYTHING! I say try a few styles on and make sure you have a little room to spare. Whatever is most comfortable...go for it!
    Me: 36 DH: 38 Married: 2/14/2010 TTC since: 5/2012
    DH: Average motility and count
    Me: Hysteroscopy 1/2013 to remove fibroid, chronic PID, infection treated internally by antibiotics, bicorneate uterus, both tubes blocked
    Consult with RE to explore options 3/2013
    IVF #1: 7/29 BFN
    IVF #2: (FET) September 2013
  • My worst bloating - I mean I was the size of a house - was after my ER.  NOTHING fit and it took several days to get back to normal.  
  • Those NY and CO pants are the bomb for work! IF makes my body crazy. I have gained so much weight and those pants are forgiving. Like @poohniki said, get the darker colors.

DH 38- Low Everything
    Me 33- AMH .9
    Married 11 years
    2002-current IUIs, meds, natural = All BFN

Aug. '13  Attempt at IVF #1 with Lurpon Flare- Canceled due to ovulation through Lupron.
    Sept. '13 - We will try again with EPP.

October '13 Started BCP for December IVF. Long Lupron protocol. Canceled due to ovulation through Lupron.

April '14 Planning IVF attempt #3. Adding Cetrotide. Doc consult at the end of this month. 

imageimage                                                   

• I was very bloated AND gained real weight. The most weight I gained was actually on this latest FET cycle. From the Lupron alone, I was up 7 pounds for a little while. I bought some nice knit skirts and dresses, which helped, and actually had a maternity dress from Old Navy. I bought a few pairs of cheap pants a couple sizes bigger than normal. I was so glad that I bought some clothes that fit because I was already really self-conscious about the weight, and wearing tight clothes made me feel worse.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you all for your insight! Sounds like I'm going to have to stock up on some NY&C city knit pants (in dark :) ) Thanks @poohniki!

My fear is having anyone at my new job ask the dreaded "are you pregnant?!" question due to bloat. Sadly, that happened to me at my old job - belly rub included *facepalm*. I am starting to break out the bloat hiding clothes now so when I do stim/ER/ET then they'll all just be used to seeing me in nice comfy clothes!

• I have a work conference to go to and am using this as an opportunity to go buy new clothes. I'm just wondering how much bloat/weight you all gained when doing IVF? Was it mostly the stims that put it on? Did you go buy new clothes or just wear dresses/skirts, etc?

TIA :)

I understand your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing when I shopped yesterday. I found 75 - 80% off clothing at Talbots for work and was able to get elastic band skirts and a few tailored tops but in the next size up. I wanted to look professional for work and have some room to spare should "the bloat" be as difficult as others have mentioned. Here's hoping it's minimal for you.....and for others here incluing myself. What do they say? Expect/prepare for the worst and hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised.  
    :)

************** Siggy Warning************

Married August 2012 -- Me (40 yrs old) My husband (45 yrs. old) 

RE referral from ObGYN in late Jan. 2013 -- Testing Confirms Unexplained IF 

IUI #"s1 - 3 (Femara + IUI) April - June 2013 - all BFN

Decided to do IVF... Began stimming on September 10th!  Egg Retrieval 9/20/13.  19 eggs: 6 to mature to freeze after 6 fertilized with ICSI

3 morula stage embryos transferred on 9/25/13.....Beta #1 on 10/4/13/ = 7.5  Beta #2 on 10/6/13 =  negative

IVF#2 - Lupron plan  (set to begin on 10/28/13)  (Planning on thawing and fertilizing our 6 eggs with ICSI as well as all of the mature eggs they retrieve with this fresh cycle.)

Late October 2013 - ectopic pregnancy - methotrexate injection....benched 3 months

CD1 - 12/5/13...Lupron set to start on 12/26/13; CD1 - 1/2/14....Baseline 1/3/14....begin follistim tonight and continue with lupron.  (Got my calendar today!  IVF#2 is a go!)

ER = 1/14/14  (11 eggs....9 were mature. 9 fertilized.  Of the 6 mature eggs we thawed, only 4 fertilized.  At this time, we have 13 eggs fertilized and growing.  Waiting for news about a 3-day or 5-day transfer.)

ET = 1/19/14  (5dt).....3 blastocysts transferred!   (All nine embryos didn't make it to freeze.  =(  )

Beta #1 = 1/28/14   (2 weeks after ER)  BFP! 209 (9dp5dt)   EDD 10/7/14

Beta #2 - 1/30/14  (11 dp5dt) 302

Beta #3 - 2/3/14  (15 dp5dt)  1222 

Ultrasound set for 2/17/14......TWINS!        Twin A - HR 124 bpm; Twin B - HR 126 bpm

Final Ultrasound with RE 3/10/14 - Twin A - HR 176 bpm; Twin B - HR 177 bpm.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome! 

imageimage 

imageimageimage

• Mimaloo said:

My worst bloating - I mean I was the size of a house - was after my ER.  NOTHING fit and it took several days to get back to normal.  

I am the same. Day 3 after ER and I look 5 months pregnant. Nothing fits and I'm uncomfortable. Have some non-form fitting pants and dresses around. I'm normally a size zero and can't fit into anything..But it will go down.. :)

• @mmhopeful - exactly! hopefully our bloat won't be too bad! FX for us :)

@50feet - oh man! I just keep repeating to myself, it's only temporary, it's only temporary!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"