Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Is it normal to fear buying baby items?

DH and I went to a buy buy baby for first time ( we don't live near it but were in the area) and I was having wicked anexity. I found the cutest mittens and were gonna get them to start small but I could do it. Anyone else having this?

M/C found 2/27/13-- D & C 3/6/13

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is it normal to fear buying baby items?

• Options
    Yep. Our AC was out a few months ago so to cool off I walked around Target. I went into the baby section just to see if there was anything we'd need to get this time around. I was looking at clothes and they had a bunch of stuff on sale for like 2 dollars - but it was summer stuff so it would be more for next year and I almost broke down even thinking about spending $2 on something my daughter may never wear. It took me a few trips to buy baby stuff before I finally could. FWIW, I went to BBB for the first time a few weeks ago (they didn't have them here when I was pregnant with my son) and I found it to be totally overwhelming.

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• Options
    ejb23ejb23 member
    edited August 2013
    Oh yes totally happened to me too. I made myself get over it eventually because i got to close not to have stuff but for example i made DH install the carseat in only his car because I couldn't bare to have to take mine out if something happens

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Totally a normal PgAL thing.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    The only baby related item we have bought was furniture, it has been in boxes for two weeks. I have no intention of purchasing anything else at this time. When I was 12 weeks, buying things wasn't even in my thoughts.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• Options
    I looked at maternity clothes today. Got depressed and walked out. I don't quite need them yet, but things are getting tight.

I am scared too.

Pregnancy Ticker

10 year old boy - April 13th 2003
    MMC Feb 20th - May 20th finished naturally
    BFP on July 25th 2013 LMP June 28th 2013

• Options

It's okay if you're not ready.  It's completely normal.  DH and I didn't buy anything until after our V-day and we've almost finished the nursery now.

Stock pile the money that you would have spent on getting ready for baby.  You'll be ready later on.  It's perfectly okay to wait.  Baby doesn't care how early you bought things.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage
    BFP #1 - 01/12/12, EDD 09/12/12, Medical Induction @ 21 weeks 05/03/12
    BFP #2 - 10/30/12, EDD 07/04/13, Natural m/c @ 5 weeks 11/01/12
    BFP #3 - 02/07/13, EDD 10/12/13
    Dx: Incompotent Cervix

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Absolutely normal! As mentioned above,wait until you're ready,no rush as it will only upset and worry you both instead of being an exciting and happy moment. I was terrified as well but we started out small. After the gender u/s I told DH that I wanted to celebrate by buying a babygrow. We went to a clothes shop that also had babywear and took our time together and chose a babygrow each (very cheap as money is a very big issue for us). So cute! We were anxious but very pleased with ourselves. It was a big step after all :) I'd say it took about a week for that to soak in. Last week we bought a few more (secondhand) outfits and today we moved around our bedroom furniture to make room for the cot etc in ready for the day we will eventually actually have those items. I must admit that what made a huge difference was getting past the stage we lost out first baby. But everyone is different. We need to be able to enjoy our pregnancies as much as possible and fussing over baby stuff in part of that :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

(Always in our hearts baby Erwan 22/03/11. 22w + 5d)

• Options
    My DH and I have decided to not buy anything until we hit viability. My mom has bought stuff but she knows to not bring it over. At this point (13w) I am definitely not ready to be buying anything baby related.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I can also mention that I got my req forms last Tuesday and I put them in a drawer and have not attempted to make my appointments.

Pregnancy Ticker

10 year old boy - April 13th 2003
    MMC Feb 20th - May 20th finished naturally
    BFP on July 25th 2013 LMP June 28th 2013

• Options
    I was just about to order my carseat online and could not do it. Mind you I will be getting a csection at 37 weeks due to medical issues. This is only about 3 weeks away. Its very hard to buy things with a Pgal brain. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I have stuff from our loss that I can't bear to look at. I had a tough time with getting maternity clothes for this one, but I needed new pants. As soon as we paid I started thinking of people I could ask to return them for us if something happened. :/

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    Yeah, and I kind of freaked out on the phone with my mom yesterday when she asked me when we plan on starting to buy stuff.  I'm only 10 weeks...it is WAY too soon.   Of course, this is my mom who last time, completely disregarded my request to not get us baby stuff for Christmas, and made me an advent calendar of baby stuff (pacifiers, mittens, socks) mixed in with chocolates and Christmas tree ornaments, that I was opening in the weeks after our loss....
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    We went a few weeks ago and I cried when I got to the car :(

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I can't even begin to think about buying baby stuff. I found some cloths I had bought for my sister who is due next month. My DH said "Well, we can just keep it for our baby" I was like no way. Not happening. I am to paranoid that if I buy something for this one, something will happen. I have started to try to make myself look at stuff but I end up an emotional wreck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ((Hugs)). When or if you feel comfortable you can shop, there's no rush.

I had a similar experience to Avion where my family went nuts at Christmas last year and only bought me stuff for our baby, even after I told them not to buy anything. When I lost that baby a few days later on NYE I screamed at my mother and sisters that I had all this stuff in my house that I never wanted for this reason. My sister in law also offered to bring over all of her hand-me-downs 2 months after my second loss. I told her to donate them if she didn't want to wait to get rid of them.

Needless to say I still haven't told a single person that were pregnant now for the third time because of the above, but I have already forewarned my Catholic family that we're doing things like a Jewish family would, nothing baby related is coming into my home until our baby is here or I at least get closer to full term. It's so hard.

BFP #1 11/19/12  EDD: 7/25/13  Natural MC on 12/31/12 at 10w4d

BFP#2 3/1/13   EDD: 11/5/13   Missed MC 4/9/13 at 10w   D&C 4/11/13  
    Baby #2 diagnosed with Trisomy 16. Diagnosed Hetero MTHFR.

BFP#3 8/5/13   EDD: 4/13/14   Team Green Turned Team Blue! Our rainbow baby, Griffin R arrived via c-section (breech since 20w) on 4/11/14. 

.image            

~~Everyone Always Welcome~~

• Options
    Yup I'm still having issues, but we realized today that baby will be here in about 90 days and we're starting to freak, ha! Bought a crib yesterday, finally! Yes it's totally normal to be scared.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    I think that's totally normal. **hugs**

I'm the same way, too. I bought baby girl a pair of shoes a couple of weeks ago, and I almost took them back because the nerves kicked in full force. We're near a bunch of outlet malls this weekend, and I want to start buying more things, but I'm not sure if I can do it mentally. I bought a bunch of clothes and shoes for Devon three weeks before we lost him, and I just can't shake how I felt when I had to pack up all his clothes. I still have lots of time until baby arrives, but at the rate I'm going, baby will come home with nothing unless someone forces me to get things. :)
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    With my last pregnancy, we found it was a blighted ovum at 12 wks 5 days, which is the standard time for a 1st scan in the uk. We were devastated as we'd been looking at all the things we may need and getting excited over a baby that wasn't there. I'm now 5 wks
    and we're not doing anything until we have proof it's actually in there. I know it sounds callous, but we'll believe it when we see it. I'm entitled to an early scan because of my loss, so I should know for sure in a couple of weeks. If its all ok then that's when we can start buying things.
    We just bought a house though, so first things first!

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    I'm only 4 weeks right now but dh and I had a miscarriage last july and are pregnant for the first time since then and we're both a little on edge. It was difficult just walking through the baby dept at the store yesterday on my way to check out. Last time we also told everyone at like 6 weeks and this time around only 4 people will know before 14 weeks because of job/military reasons.
    *married June 18, 2011 to the most wonderful man ever* BFP #1 6/11/12, M/C on 7/11/12 @ 9 weeks 6 days, baby measuring at 6 weeks 2 days. We love you baby v! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers PitaPata Dog tickersPitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've bought a few pieces of maternity clothes, but nothing for the baby yet.  I hope I'll feel better after my anatomy scan and maybe will feel like I can start buying things then.  
  • Options
    I made my first ever baby purchase yesterday. It's a gorgeous, one of a kind vintage quilt. I actually told myself I could sell it if need be. I then decided that no matter what, it would be used for our babies. I'm only 9w5d so no matter if I was PgAL or not, it feels too early to buy baby stuff. But I'm trying really hard to act as if this is really happening. I cried tonight when I told my mom about the quilt.
  • Options
    It's so normal. I am 25 weeks and still feel uncomfortable at times. It depends on the day. I kept all the baby related stuff in one drawer for months so that I could avoid it if I got bad news. It sucks but it's normal when you know how much cleaning up and putting all that stuff away hurts.

• Options
    My husband desperately wants to start buying things but I am feeling like a big rain cloud on his joy. I am only 8 weeks and not comfortable enough at all for shopping. I have a limit of how much I will speak about the pregnancy before I shut down. Avoidance for self preservation :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"