37 Weeks Pregnant
Options

What to do?? Help!!

So, my dr says I'm 37 weeks and 3 days today but I had an ultrasound and the ultra sound says the baby is 39 weeks and one day today....I'm not dialated but my cervix is soft.  I am in so much pain, hip, pelvis, sacrum, back and now knee too (even though I'm going to PT!!) that it's getting harder and harder to take care of my very active almost 11 month old! And forget about the house, my husband has been cooking and cleaning after working all day. 

I was told today that they wont change my due date and that they can't induce me til I'm 41 weeks prego (that would make baby about 43 weeks) I have no medical reason for them to induce me...no high blood pressure, excessive water ect.  The ultrasound tech believes the baby is 8.5lbs to 9lbs right now.  I know I'm not a dr but the bigger the baby gets the more likely I'll have to have a c section, so is that not a medical reason???  Besides me becoming less mobile everyday.

Is it stupid of me to change drs so late in my pregnancy?  I don't think I can wait four more weeks, we can't afford a nanny and family tries to help when they can, my husband can't stop working for a month to help.  And since the baby is 39+ weeks I know he'll be healthy and everything.  I'm stressing out and I can't do anything about it!  Any advice or thoughts would be nice!

Re: What to do?? Help!!

• Options
    I'm so sorry you're feeling this way! I wouldn't change doctors this late... And I don't think you are able to anytime in your third trimester.  (according to my insurance) I have a similar experience... I am 37 weeks and at 35 weeks they said my baby was  measuring at 7 1/2 lbs and his measurements were at 39 1/2 weeks.  When the doctor came in though... He advised me that ultrasounds are accurate plus or minus one pound... And usually it is minus a pound, which would put my baby more likely around 6 1/2 or 7 lbs.  But if you are not feeling well, I would keep calling your ob and letting her know... Maybe with enough "bugging" she will do something about it :) Good luck!!
  • Options

My good friend was induced at 39 weeks because her Dr. said her baby was measuring over 9 lbs. He only ended up only weighing 7 when he was born.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you ar so uncomfortable! Just try to get through one week at a time, or one ay at a time! The baby will be here very soon. If possible, I would suggest you let mother nature take her course... Medical science is not an exact science that's for sure! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wish I could get induce soon. Im 36weeks  4days and the baby is already 8lbs according to the doctor. So I wish you the best maybe it will happen sooner than you think
  • Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Dr. says something else than what I feel and show. The Placenta (babies life) stops giving the baby nutrients at a certain time, however the baby knows when it is time to come out. Some times people get induced and it does not even take. after 37 weeks baby can definitely survive on there own, however there was a study that the brain weighed more at 39 weeks. Take it day by day, nothing else you can do so there is no point stressing about it. I can barely breath! I am 5'0 tall, and 136 lbs. I'm all BABY. It's driving me nutz! This is my 3rd and last child and I am really excited.
  • Options

My understanding is that it is only during the first half of pregnancy that gestational age can be determined accurately because it's only during the first half that all babies grow at the same rate.  After that, they start developing at all different rates and that's why you can have full term babies born at all different sizes.  

I think all the ultrasound is telling you is that you're going to have a big baby and that he/she is measuring LIKE a 39 week baby, not that it IS a 39 week baby.  Your baby will come when it's ready.  To induce too early because of a late pregnancy ultrasound could probably cause more harm than good for your little one. 

• Options
    I think that you should stress to your doctor why he should take the baby cause they don't understand and your the one going though all this not him i feel you i really do Ive been thinking of every reason for my doctor to take my baby to im having chest pain, rib pain, cold chills, trouble breathing, hip pain, back pain, and a lot of discharge and he times me that im fine he's gonna make me cuss him out for real this *** just doesn't make any sense im 35 weeks but still i cant spend the next 5 weeks feeling half dead i have a 5 year old, 4 year old, and a 2 year old with me during the day yeah this is not gonna work if i have to call his office and complain everyday that's just what ill do until he gets tired of hearing from me and takes the baby!!
  • Options
    I was told the same thing very early on in my pregnancy when we measured again and the due date was different.  I was told that we wouldn't change the due date from the original because the earlier on you first get your due date the more accurate.  I knew right away when I became pregnant and saw my OB to determine due date.  After 8 weeks or so, the error increases more and more because of the rate of growth of the baby.  My husband is a firm believer in the longer the baby remains in the womb the better for long term health.  He's not a doctor, but our bodies and babies know when it's time.  Have faith and trust in that.  
  • Options

The gestational age that you were given during the ultrasound is a reflection of the baby's size.  They determine the gestational age by measuring different parts of the baby, namely the head circumference, the thigh bone length, and the total length, among a few other things.  It is not accurate in late pregnancy because every baby does grow differently.  Ultrasounds are approximations of the weight, and like someone else said, can be plus or minus a pound on average.  It is not the size of the baby alone that determines starting labor, but the size of your pelvis in relation to the size of the baby.  If the baby is determined to be getting to large for your pelvis, then they would induce.  Not just because it is a larger baby.  

Changing DR's this late in pregnancy can be detrimental.  Most insurances wont cover it and most OB's wont take you on.  Also, if your due date set at the beginning of the pregnancy is the most accurate due date, so you are only 37 1/2 weeks.  Not 39.  

As for the hips and discomfort.  It can be difficult.  I have a progressive bone degeneration disorder in my right hip.  The pain can be agonizing and there isnt anything they can do. So I do understand.  However, there is some minor things you can try to see if they help.  I set myself a timer, I am up for about 20 minutes at a time.  Just enough to unload the dishwasher for instance.  Then sitting back down.  Make sure you have support when you sit, I use pillows to keep my pelvis in the right position when I sit on my couch.  Usually I am sitting for about 20-30 minutes.  Then I do it again, get up for about 20, reload the dishwasher, put in a load of laundry, pick up toys, anything you feel you can do.  But limiting your time up can help with the pain.  Because you are limiting the time you can decrease the pain while still getting things done.  There are also support belts for late pregnancy that can be of help.  

It can be extremely difficult with little ones already at home.  On the weekend with the help of your husband, try to make a weeks worth of breakfast and lunches for your little one.  Something you can put in the microwave.  That way it is easy for you, but still can be healthy for the little one.  Use baby gates or furniture to keep the toddler in a room with you.  You can take a few different bags (like diaper bags) and fill each one with different toys, activities, and snacks.  They have short attention spans, but you can switch bags as needed and it is something new each time.  I would do three bags.  By the time they play with all three and are back to the first one, they are interested in it again.  

I do feel for you in this.  It isnt easy.  But, it is only a short time.  You have already been through 37 weeks.  There is only a few weeks left and then you can start to heal.   You can do it!

• Options

Guessing the baby's weight at the end via ultrasound is notoriously inaccurate. I put no stock into it, and definitely wouldn't induce because of it. A doctor friend of mine explained it, the ultrasound tech measures the femur then the age is based on averages. And it really depends on the baby's position (if they are not facing straight on, the femur can appear shorter) and how good the tech is.

It can be pretty rough at the end, I know I am having a lot of hip and back pain. Plus I have had a cold for the past three days and it sucks not being able to take Nyquil! If the pain is bad you can take regular strength Tylenol. I use a heating pad for my back, if you don't have one then fill a cloth bag with dry rice and put it in the microwave for about 1 min 30 sec. I surround myself with pillows both on the couch and in bed and it helps to take some of the pressure off my joints. Good luck!

• Options
    Your baby will come when it is time for him to come. Due dates are just an estimate. But if you feel the time is now, Herblore.com has a great herb to naturally induce labor. It is called labor tincture. It is only $11. If you order it now, you will have it in about 5 days. I hope this helps and I hope things get better for you soon. Take it easy momma.
  • Options
    Its a big deal and you shouldnt take it out on your doctor. I was 35 weeks and measuring at 39. I am 37 weeks today and measuring out at 41. Its just a big baby and a big baby does not mean a c section unless you are a small woman yourself. My doctor told me that your pelvis size almost matches your shoe size so if you have feet above size 9 you are fine to deliver a big baby. Im all set for mine. It may hurt but it is worth it. Family can help with your 11 month old if they are close by and you can slack on the cleaning a little bit.
  • Options
    calm down it will be ok at this point you have to concider that not everything can get done every day so try spliting up the work to be done between two days if you stress over everything getting done then it can cause complications with yoiur pregancy and i know you dont want that you have to take it one day at a time instead of looking at how much time you have left. i was doing that and only causing more problems since i have started looking at it one day at a time things have ran alot smoother and more easliy through out the days try this i hope it works for you
  • Options
    Weighing the baby prior to birth is not possible. It is never right. You may be uncomfortable, but that is what you signed up for when you got pregnant. The safety of your baby is more important then anything. It sounds to me as though you have one of the few good docs! Your doc is more concerned with your unborn developing as long as possible then pumping you full of dangerous drugs that will greatly increase your chances of having a csection. Being uncomfortable is not a medical emergency and is absolutely no reason to induce. Your body was made to give birth, whether the baby is 6 lbs or 9. Doesn't make a difference. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying.
  • Options
    Weighing the baby prior to birth is not possible. It is never right. You may be uncomfortable, but that is what you signed up for when you got pregnant. The safety of your baby is more important then anything. It sounds to me as though you have one of the few good docs! Your doc is more concerned with your unborn developing as long as possible then pumping you full of dangerous drugs that will greatly increase your chances of having a csection. Being uncomfortable is not a medical emergency and is absolutely no reason to induce. Your body was made to give birth, whether the baby is 6 lbs or 9. Doesn't make a difference. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying.
    Thank you for the tough love.  I've been whining and complaining for weeks but you're absolutely right.  This is what I signed up for when I decided to get pregnant.  And even now knowing how hard it is I would not go back and change my mind.  Baby 1st, me 2nd and DH a close 3rd. LOL!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"