Adoption
Options

African American Hair Care

I am not adopting but I am caucasian and am currently a foster parent for a 16 month old African American boy. I am clueless about his hair. I looked on the internet and settled on washing it once a week  and adding some coconut oil hair milk. His scalp still gets dry but this seems to be working ok. Thursday afternoon he had a meeting with his mom and she put his hair in plaits and now I am unsure of what to do. Can I wash it with them in or do I just take them out? How long do you leave them in? Do you use a separate conditioner when you wash his hair? Or just regular baby/kid shampoo?

I apologize for my ignorance but I just want to do right for my little guy.

Any advice on how to care for his hair is really appreciated.
Thanks!
Jennifer

Re: African American Hair Care

• Options
    https://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/ this website is a fabulous resource for working with African American hair.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since June 2009
    01/10- Femara
    03/10- Femara
    07/2010- Clomid with injectables and IUI #1
    08/2010- IUI #2
    06/2011- IVF #1 BFP!
    09/2011- Miscarriage at 10 1/2 weeks
    11/2011- FET
    01/2012- Start Home Study process
    03/2012- Home Study approved and now waiting on our child to find us!
    07/2012- matched with a BM who is due in October!
    11/10/12- our son is born!
    11/13/12- court grants us custody!
     12/28/12- finalization! Always ours in our hearts, but.now also ours forever

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

http://keepingupwiththejoneses-dana.blogspot.com/

• Options
    Does your foster care agency have meetings, trainings, etc. where you can talk to other foster parents?  If so go up to one of the African American parents and ask for help.  The parents at my agency were very willing to help out.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with Fred, and when you take them out get a rat tail comb with a metal "pic" at the end, and put some water and conditioner on a spray bottle. Spray before taking out, using the pic to undo braid and comb/detangle gently as you go. Depending on how much hair he has it can be a timely process.
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    Agree with Fred, and when you take them out get a rat tail comb with a metal "pic" at the end, and put some water and conditioner on a spray bottle. Spray before taking out, using the pic to undo braid and comb/detangle gently as you go. Depending on how much hair he has it can be a timely process.
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    You can also skip using shampoo when you wash it.  You can "co-wash" the hair.  Just use conditioner to wash it.  This keeps moisture in the hair.  I oil my scalp at least once or twice a week with coconut oil.

Definitely do like MayDayGirl and use watered down conditioner or a de-tangling spray when you take the braids out.  Combing from the bottom up also helps with any tangles and keeping it from getting knotted.
    image   image   image
    TTC since 2010 | 3 miscarriages | Diagnosed with stage IV endo | Adopted our little girl Aug 25, 2014

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! 
  • Options
    I'm lurking. I am a cosmetologist/ salon owner who specializes in multicultural hair care.

Two lines of hair products that I'd recommend. Aveda anti humectant ( white jar blue lid). It looks like hair grease. However it's light. Use it on the scalp and it will keep the scalp from becoming dry. Carols daughter has a complete line of hair products that you can look up on www.hsn.com. sephora has the line too. If the hair is a loose curl , look for mixed chicks hair care.

For maintenance, please shampoo and condition the hair at least once every other week. It will /can get a build up if you don't.

To take the plats out , the rat tail comb method is the best method. You take it out once the hair starts to go from neat to unraveling.

Shampoo with normal baby shampoo & conditioners.

Best wishes..
  • Options
    This. I would add that to wash the braids weekly with water and regular washout conditioner. Depending in his hair texture this might make the braids frizzy but I hate the smell of dirty hair.... Consider asking mom to cut his hair---- my son's hair is so much easier now that we cut it.... blockquote class="Quote" rel="fredalina">I would leave it in as long as it looks (and smells) good, even up to a month, and just add leave in conditioners and the coconut oil treatment. I would try to avoid shampoo.

33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"