Breastfeeding
Options

Breastfeeding Uncovered

Anyone else prefer to nurse uncovered? My mother-in-law asked me to cover up because it might make my father-in-law uncomfortable. How does everyone else deal with this?

Re: Breastfeeding Uncovered

• Options

My LO refuses to nurse under a cover.  If we're at the IL's house, I ask to use one of the spare bedrooms.  If we're at my house I go to LO's nursery.  Not because I think I have to accomodate FIL's discomfort, but because really, I just don't want him or my BIL seeing me that way.  If we're out in public I just find a quiet place, if they happen to see they just have to deal!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    I definitely do.  LO will tolerate a blanket or something over his head for a little while at best, but mostly he's just so flail-y with his arms while he eats that he takes it off himself.

I compromise by putting a small bit of blanket to cover what's most uncovered on me.  I did this at daycare, because when I would nurse in the morning, the DCP seemed more comfortable if I used it, and I certainly didn't want to get on her bad side!

As for covering up in case it might make somebody uncomfortable - nah.  Unless they say something specifically to me, I'm not going to alter my behavior.  I know my FIL is pretty uncomfortable with it, so he tends to go play with our dogs in another room while I breastfeed generally.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

M0ON said:
    I refuse to cover up or face the wall like I'm in time out. I'm not doing anything strange, inappropriate, or wrong, and if somebody thinks otherwise, the onus is on THEM to walk away.
    This is pretty much me too. In my house, if you're uncomfortable, you need to go elsewhere, I'm nursing where I'm comfy. In the homes of others, I'll nurse around people unless someone tells me otherwise. Fortunately, it never became an issue. Yay for awesome friends and family.
  • Options
    Do what's best for you and baby. I used a cover when out and about for maybe 5-6 months, but then DS got too nosy. He was always swiping at the cover trying to see what was going on, so it just wasn't practical. For a while, I used an a+a blanket to cover anything that might be exposed, but so be I typically wear nursing tanks under my shirts, there's a whole lot of nothing that anyone can see. I was pretty uncomfortable nursing around my FIL at first, but now, whatever. I'll nurse wherever and whenever we need to. My favorite NIP story is when DS decided he needed to eat while on a private tour of the US Capitol Building led by a retired representative. I just walked around nursing him, and no one said anything or gave it a second glance. So do what makes you comfy!
  • Options
    With my first I was all about beig covered, more for other people's comfort than my own. Now with my second I don't really care. If someone feels uncomfortable with me feeding my baby that's their issue. So far I haven't had any comments!
  • Options
    I feel like if I had to cover up in front of family, it's going to be a long 12 months. My little guy is almost 3 months and we are around family a lot because we live in the same town as my parents and inlaws. I don't LOVE doing it in front of my MIL because I feel like she stares at me and makes it awkward but I just deal with it. My family is great, they just carry on conversations like nothing is happening.
  • Options
    DD doesn't like to be covered up and since I usually plan outings around her schedule she just isn't used to it.  When possible I leave the room or just cover it up as much as possible.  It's a natural thing and we should feel comfortable doing it!  Also now that DD is almost 6 months it hard to feed her even at home with anyone in the room b/c she gets distracted so easy and stops nursing to look everytime someone talks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It depends who I'm with and where I am. At home, I don't cover up unless we have guests. I never cover up in front of my mom though. She BF and she's a nurse, so nothing fazes her. I don't always cover up in front of my sister or SIL either. I always cover in front of my dad, FIL and BIL. Not because they'd say anything, but I don't like to make them uncomfortable and really, it makes me more comfortable, too. That said, I'm not bothered by people who don't cover up. To each her own!
  • Options
    I never cover up. I nurse discreetly, but if someone else is uncomfortable, it is up to him/her to avoid the situation. If I were asked to cover up, I would say no. I've nursed her around both my parents, both my in-laws and my BIL and SIL, as well as in many public places and around most of our friends. I find if I'm nonchalant about it, and just make feeding her a matter of course, it's not weird for anyone else. 

I honestly think covering up makes it much more obvious what I'm doing, and it makes it harder for me to see what's going on, so I'm always ducking under the cover, etc which is annoying. If I dress appropriately, I can nurse her without anything showing unless she unexpectedly unlatches, and even then, her head will mostly be in the way unless your face is right there. People often come up to me to see her without realizing I'm feeding her and are surprised. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Options
    I have a cover, but prefer not to use it. It's hard to see what's going on with him. I typically wear two shirts so very little shows. I'll cover the back/ top of his head with a prefold or blanket to latch him on and then I move it. But keep it close incase he unlatches.

We had dinner at my moms house. And I went and got lo a bib since he spits up so much. I come back to the dinner table and she asks if I got the wrong bib. "Didn't I need one for me -- aka the nursing cover." I kinda shrugged it off and said no. I think she was looking out for my stepdad. But really if I'm okay with it and try to be a little discrete I think it's fine. I don't think my nip showed at all!

ILs we will see! ;) last time I nursed in the bedroom but we were still getting the hang of things. And I used the nursing cover eating out with them. Eh, the cover isn't the worst but I prefer without it already.
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    edited September 2013
    My sons were fine with a cover so in public I usually used one. At home I would usually go to my room and go uncovered. I preferred covering up.

With A I don't cover at home unless my sons are in the room. It's a natural thing but I would not feel comfortable with my teenage sons seeing me uncovered. Most of the time I will place a large pillow next to me to block the view and warn my son to let me know if he will walk by ecause baby is eating. I use a bebe au lait in public because it allows eye contact as you nurse. If she finds the cover annoying I remove it.

I now prefer to nurse uncovered in most situations, though not all. I don't want people to be uncomfortable but baby comes first.
  • Options
    I don't cover up. DS won't tolerate it and I think it makes BFing seem like something to be ashamed of, which it is NOT. I usually just wear a loose shirt that will pull up and drape over my breast easily. DS is large and covers my belly. :)
  • Options
    I don't cover up completely, but may take a bib or the corner of LOs blanket and cover what little breast you can see if I'm out. At my house I often don't even bother with a shirt. :D

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"