Infertility
Options

Valium before ET?

MrsC430MrsC430 member
edited August 2013 in Infertility

Happy weekend ladies! :)

I've got a question for you. For our past ETs, I was offered Valium beforehand but didn't take it. Besides for relaxation purposes - has your RE mentioned another rhyme or reason for taking it? Planning to ask my nurse next week, but curious if anyone here had insight.

Thanks a bunch and enjoy your (hopefully long) weekend!

It's twin girls!! Born on 11-2-14!

Re: Valium before ET?

• Options
    I haven't been through it yet, but the RN told me my doc will give it to me because it also relaxes the muscles down there. When you're nervous, apparently they contract

TTC since April 2012

BFP #1, 10/03/2012 - EDD 6/15/2013 - MMC 11/15/2012 - D&C 01/04/2013

BFP #2, 04/06/2013 - EDD 12/17/2013 - MC 04/19/2013

6/12/2013 Diagnosed with Balanced Translocation (12 & 16)

IVF #1 with PGS: 10/2013: Canceled 9/27/2013 for issues with genetic lab

IVF #1.5 with PGS: 11/16/2013: Canceled. 11 eggs retrieved, 9 mature & 9 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #2: 1/22/14: Canceled. 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 7 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #3 with PGS: 5/10/2014: Switched to FET in July. 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 healthy embryos!

FET #1: 7/31/2014: Transferred 2 nearly perfect (6AA, 6BA) healthy embryos- BFFN

Laproscopy: 10/2014: Healthy uterus

IVF #4: 12/8/2014: Canceled. 17 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 10 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Everyone welcome on my posts

• Options
    I was given Valium before ER and would have been given Valium before ET if we had made it that far. I think it is supposed to help relax your entire body (including your uterus). I tend to be a worrier so I was happy to get Valium before ER, it really helped me relax. DH was cracking up because I kept telling him that I really like Valium. :)

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Iv never had valium before with ET. Never even been offered it... I honestly dont think I would take it as an option. Its not that bad and I dislike putting meds in my body while hopefully pregnant or trying to get that way... the worst part for me is the full bladder. Good luck. :)
  • Options
    I was never offered it either. I will say, the ET was the best and most exciting day of the whole process for me so I wouldn't use it even if I was offered on our next ivf. It's uncomfortable because of the full bladder but that's the only discomfort I had. Nothing like the practice ET - which hurt!
    TTC Since 2008; me: 30, DH: 33
    DH: Low count, low motility/morphology Me: Prolactinoma 
    IVF w/ ICSI #1 June 2013 ER12, M10, F8 - 4dt of 1 morula and one 8 cell grade 1.5 (1 being best)- BFN
    None to freeze
    IVF w/ICSI #2 .....November 2013 - Cancelled - Once again, my eggs matured too quickly. Converted to IUI BFN
    Added prenatal, metformin, coQ10, DHEA and acupuncture. 
    IVF w/ICSI #2 (again) January 2014 ER 11, M9, 4F. Transferred 3 embryos (2.5 grade) - BFN 

Moving on to Adoption!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options
    I had one. Pretty common. Not sure if it helped me to relax. It's all a blur because I was so emotional.

Three ectopic preganacies in left tube in 1999, 2003 and 2004. HSG in 2010 concluded left tube blockage. IUI with femara in 2012 BFN. IVF #1 June 2013, 20 retreived, 14 mature, 12 fertilized via ICSI, one transferred, four frozen, BFN.  FET in September 2013 - BFN:( FET #2 April 2014 - BFP!!!!

Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God,the Maker of all things. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Ecclesiastes 11 4:5  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Hi- I was a lurker before our (successful) IVF cycle in April and come now and lurk occasionally.

My doctor highly recommended Valium for ET, as he felt relaxation was important. I actually paid OOP for anesthesia for my ET. I obviously can't say whether it contributed to our success, but it did give me peace of mind. 

• Options
    PAIF response

My re uses it because it helps relax the uterus and not contract so your embryo stays exactly where he put it. It def can't hurt. Sometimes you just have to trust they know what they are talking about. After all they do make the big bucks. It's a very low dose and wears off quickly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was given Valium I think for my HSG..i was told they would give me something to relax day of transfer too..i liked it for my HSG since I tend to be very anxious with procedures, etc..it definitely made me relax :)
  • Options

PAIF response

My re uses it because it helps relax the uterus and not contract so your embryo stays exactly where he put it. It def can't hurt. Sometimes you just have to trust they know what they are talking about. After all they do make the big bucks. It's a very low dose and wears off quickly.

Exactly this... It's really not about our comfort, it is to minimize uterine contraction during transfer and increase implantation

Me (32) DOR, elevated NK Cells/ 2 copies of MTHFR mutation/ MH (35) azoo/high DFI   (TTC#1 since 2009)

IVFs#1-4: (4/10-2/12) all BFN

Surprise Bfp (9/11) - c/p

DS IUI#1-2 (9/12, 10/12) - BFN

DS IVF: (11/12) - BFN

DE/DS IVF#1: (10/13) - 2 day 3 embies transferred-BFFN

FET of 2 day 6 blasts: (12/13) - c/p

DE/DS IVF #2: (4/14) - 1 day 5 blast transferred...BFFN...again.

FET 5/14: 1 day 5 hatching blast transferred...another BFFN

Repeat SHG 6/14-normal / Endometrial Receptivity Array biopsy 7/14-Receptive Uterus

New RE, additional testing reveals elevated NK Cells

FET of 1 day 5 blast (RE recommends transferring 1 due to elevated NK cells) with lovenox, steroids & intralipids in October

• Options
    I was given it for both transfers and it definitely helped me relax, and I think I had less pain. (I'm a cramper, probably due to endo). Especially this last time around, I think it kept me from contracting during the actual procedure.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all for the info. I think I might give it a try this time around. Can't hurt!

It's twin girls!! Born on 11-2-14!
  • Options

I had one. Pretty common. Not sure if it helped me to relax. It's all a blur because I was so emotional.

Same. It isn't a big deal. I took 2, and I think it helped me calm down and relax my muscles.
    | Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
    PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

• Options
    I haven't been offered Valium, but I'd take it if they did! I have major anxiety and feel that it may have been the largest contributor to our BFN. I will be asking my RE about it for our FET cycle. :-)
    Me: 36 DH: 38 Married: 2/14/2010 TTC since: 5/2012
    DH: Average motility and count
    Me: Hysteroscopy 1/2013 to remove fibroid, chronic PID, infection treated internally by antibiotics, bicorneate uterus, both tubes blocked
    Consult with RE to explore options 3/2013
    IVF #1: 7/29 BFN
    IVF #2: (FET) September 2013
  • Options
    It wasn't offered to me for my ER or ET - maybe because I wasn't nervous?  It was, however, offered to a woman next to me because she was clearly freaking out - I could hear her hyperventilating on the other side of the curtain.  

Even if offered, I wouldn't have accepted it.  The ET is nothing.  Slight cramp when the catheter goes in but it lasts all of 3 seconds.  

GL to you!
  • Options
    It has never been offered for ET. I've taken Valium for other procedures (MRI) and it's always put me to sleep almost immediately. I don't think it would be a good idea for me to fall asleep during the transfer with a bladder that's overflowing. Or maybe the full bladder would keep me from falling asleep altogether, I don't know, but that would worry me.
    Me:PCOS, fibroids DH: no issues 
    TTC for 3 years. IVF #1 in Jan 12 - severe OHSS; miscarriage at 11 weeks
    2 myomectomies and 6 hysteroscopies in 2012 and 2013.
    FET in Aug 2013 BFP

• Options
    My IVF nurse said it relaxes your ute muscles as much as your anxiety and it's more for that then your head.  Made sense, since they're sticking a cath up there so why not?

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options
    I was given 2, one for an hour before ET and one for about 4-6 hours later. i was told it keeps the uterus from contracting. It also really helped mellow me out! I was totally chill throughout the process while my poor DW was biting her fingernails off!!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    me:33 my wife:32      married in June '12
    LONG road through IF ending in heartbreak and frustration.
    Moving on to Adoption : matched 5/14! 
    Our beautiful son was born August 25, 2014!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• Options
    I have made it to 2 transfers at 2 different clinics.  I declined the valium at transfer #1, took it for transfer #2. The reasoning my RE said was to decrease uterine contractions and improve implantation rates. 

I'm not at all an anxious person and hate taking meds, but figured at my second transfer that if it was recommended, I might as well stick with the program (since the first time didn't work). Both ended up being BFNs but at least I feel like I did everything I was supposed to! Made me sleepy and mellowed out for about a day and a half. Which maybe was a good thing to keep me quiet since my RE recommends 2 days of sitting around and being a couch potato after the transfers. 
    ***Signature warning******

me: DOR, DH: counts are good

IVF # 1:BCPs then antagonist. Cancelled for poor response
    IVF #2: no BCPs then MDL: 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred at day 2-BFN
    IVF #3 New RE! BCPs then MDL: 8 retrieved, 8 fertilized, 2 transferred day 5-BFN
    IVF #4 October 2013. BCPs then MDL: 8 R, 8F, 2 transferred day 5 in Nov--BFP!! 
    December 2013: Ultrasound shows a single intrauterine pregnancy! 

• Options
    PAIF response My re uses it because it helps relax the uterus and not contract so your embryo stays exactly where he put it. It def can't hurt. Sometimes you just have to trust they know what they are talking about. After all they do make the big bucks. It's a very low dose and wears off quickly.

I'm glad to hear this! I was going to ask Dr. G about it if it wasn't offered for the FET. I have a nervous bladder and definitely could have used Vailum for my ET.

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"