July 2012 Moms
Options

Healthy breakfast ideas

So on Tuesday I'm going back to work for the first time since my little guy was born (I'm teaching elementary school part time).  I'm freaking out a bit but I'm happy that my son has adjusted really well to spending a few days a week with my mom and sister, who will be our childcare. 

Anyway...I'm hoping to get some suggestions for quick healthy breakfasts for me, H, and LO...Before I got pregnant I was always a bit of a carby breakfast eater (toast and cereal), which leaves me feeling exhausted and hungry, plus it's not great for LO.  So on my mat leave I did lots of eggy stuff, wraps, etc but I'm looking for suggestions for easy, quick, possibly make-ahead or freezable breakfasts that me and my son can eat but that also contain fruit and/or veggies and a protein.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Healthy breakfast ideas

• Options
    My FIL will make HUGE batches of biscuits and pan sausage, sandwich them up, and then freeze the sandwiches so he can have a 'snack' whenever he wants. They're pretty good and reheat really well.

Other than that, maybe a breakfast burrito that you can freeze and reheat? I've seen a few recipes floating around those "40 freezer meals in 1 day" type blogs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Everyday I eat a hard boiled egg white and a whole wheat English muffin. I boil the eggs on Sunday so all I have to do is peel it and toast the muffin. So easy.

Oatmeal and fruit is quick too.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mmm, some awesome ideas, thanks ladies!!

• Options
    jfresh said:

I know not everyone is a smoothie person but I had these everyday this last week and really liked them. I chopped and bagged it all two weeks in advance and stuck them in the freezer, all I did in the morning was add the yogurt and milk (which you could do a separate full fat for baby).

1 cup kale, 1/2 cup spinach, 1 apple peeled and chopped, handful of blueberries. I add about 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup skim milk. I splash in water if its still too thick. I ate a banana along with it.

@jfresh you said you usually eat a banana alongside your smoothie. Have you tried putting it in it? I won't even make a smoothie if I don't have a frozen banana it gives it such a great smooth texture and adds sweetness!

Ok, and the yogurt thing with mashed banana and oats, it is really good? It sounds very intriguing but is the texture weird? Obviously I'm a texture person.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    zyaszyas member
    we do the smoothies too, with lots of added greens and we add protein powder to our smoothies (but not to Ava's). Also we do hard boiled eggs a lot, french toast, oatmeal & fruit, greek yogurt and fruit, crustless quiche (usually eggs, spinach, cheese), or muffins (I make a healthy raspberry muffin with oats, applesauce, flax, and other good stuff - both Ava and my H love them). Pm me if you'd like the recipe.
  • Options
    zyaszyas member
    edited September 2013
    emilypc said:
    we do the smoothies too, with lots of added greens and we add protein powder to our smoothies (but not to Ava's). Also we do hard boiled eggs a lot, french toast, oatmeal & fruit, greek yogurt and fruit, crustless quiche (usually eggs, spinach, cheese), or muffins (I make a healthy raspberry muffin with oats, applesauce, flax, and other good stuff - both Ava and my H love them). Pm me if you'd like the recipe.
    I'm on mobile and can't PM you, but is love the muffin recipe please @zyas!
    @emilypc

No problem! I just sent it to someone else, so I copied and pasted below for you. :)

Raspberry Muffins

Preheat oven to 375

In one bowl mix together:

1 cup applesauce (I use unsweetened)
    1/2 cup milk (I've used both almond milk and regular and they turn out the same)
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp olive or canola oil
    1/2 cup agave syrup (or sugar)
    1 tsp vanilla

In another bowl mix together:

2 cups old fashioned oats (not the quick oats)
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup flax meal
    1 1/4 cups flour (I've used regular flour, whole wheat and rice flour and all work equally as well)

Mix the wet into the dry and stir until combined. Mix in about a cup of raspberries (we like a lot so I always put in lots - sometimes more than a cup)

spray a muffin pan and spoon into pan. I fill each pretty full so we get big muffins! It makes 12 big muffins.

Sprinkle a little brown sugar on top before you pop them in the oven for an extra treat.

Bake for about 20 min but check on them at about 15 min. All ovens are different so cooking time will vary. As soon as you can stick a cake tester in and it comes out clean, they are done.

A really delicious variation is doing this exact recipe but using 1/2 cup of chocolate chips instead of the raspberries. My husband begs me to make these all the time so lately I've been making them every few days. :)
  • Options
    @zyas those sound amazing! Can't wait to try :)

• Options

@zyas how much flax seed do you add?

@daniellesa1220. Whoops!! That was supposed to say 1/2 cup of flax meal. Sorry!
  • Options
    You can make oatmeal ahead of time. Have you ever tried chia seeds? Soak them overnight with some oats and almond milk and toss some fresh berries in the morning. Healthy and tasty.

You could also hard-boil some eggs in advance and have one on a piece of toast with some fruit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"