April 2012 Moms

Hello again! Need help weaning my 15m old.

I used to be apart of the "April 12 Moms" but kind of got busy with other things so I haven't been on here in a loooong time. I need help! I'm trying to wean my 15 month old son. I LOVED nursing him but now it's time to stop. My DH & I have thought about trying to get pregnant again so I think now is a good time. However, I'm at home with DS so it's even harder.  He rarely takes a bottle (even if I pump).  I can usually distract him during the day but once nap/bed time comes around he is NOT a happy camper. It breaks my heart to listen to him cry. What should I do?! Help!

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Hello again! Need help weaning my 15m old.

• Are you only nursing him right before you put him down to sleep?

I was having trouble with DD2 waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to comfort nurse because she was used to nursing to sleep.  I started putting more bedtime steps in between nursing and sleeping.  Now at bedtime we'll do bath, diaper, nurse, PJs, book, crib.  I'm hoping to break that connection between nursing and falling asleep.  So far it seems to be helping.

You could always try cutting them out one at a time (first the before-nap nursing and last to go is before-bed).

• ream02ream02 member
    When you find the solution let me know. I have the same issue with my DS. He associates nursing with going to sleep at night and night waking to comfort back t sleep. He's so stubborn I give in. :o)

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageream02:
    When you find the solution let me know. I have the same issue with my DS. He associates nursing with going to sleep at night and night waking to comfort back t sleep. He's so stubborn I give in. :o)

.I have the same issue. What I found that helps a bit is wearing dh shirt since it smells like him. LO never tries to nurse dh. It worked with me dropping a few nursing but i still nurse him to sleep since it is so easy. I cave in when he cries or if I am too tired myself.  I would love to hear suggestions too!

• I started by eliminating 1 feeding a week.  When I started weaning I was down to 3 feeds a day. 

I first eliminated the AM feeding.  I fed breakfast/offered a sippy of milk right away.  It was so easy.  LO didn't even seem to care.

I next eliminated the afternoon feeding.  I made sure to feed LO a big lunch right before nap time.  This one was a little rougher but it really wasn't that bad.  I knew he wasn't hungry so I wasn't too concerned about him being upset.  LO cried maybe 5 minutes for a couple days.

Lastly, I eliminated the PM feed.  I did the same thing as the afternoon.  I made sure LO was full and I also offered a sippy right before bed.  Sometimes he takes it but most of the time he doesn't.  It took 4-5 nights of whining right before bed but that was it.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited September 2013
    I weaned my LO at 15 months. He was still nursing 6 times per day! My suggestion is to spend a lot of time outdoors ESP as a sahm. This way your LO is distracted. When we would go to the park or play dates I could easily distract him with a snack or playtime. At night was a diff story. That was the last sessions to go. When I noticed that I hadn't nursed my LO for an entire day I noticedc my LO didn't need nursing. It was comfort. I continued nursing him once at night instead of the usual 3x. I know...he still nursed a lot but I knew it was for comfort. I only nursed him at night for a few days then poof I just stopped. I knew it was time and I think he did too. Just drop sessions gradually. See how long you can go without nursing but if your LO really demands it just go with the flow. Gl! Btw I weaned him over the course of 3 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"