Special Needs
Options

Not off to a good start

DS1 had his "meet the teacher" event. He refused to speak to anyone including the teacher, the principal, the nurse, and the school psych. and would only whisper to me. Once we were all allowed into the classroom, he immediately wanted to leave. We found his desk and he rearranged his folders that were inside. At the end, I spoke with his teacher and he whispered to me "my allergies" so I reminded her that he has his milk and soy allergies. She bent down to his level and explained to him that she knew about his allergies and had it written on a special paper. When we were leaving, she reminded him to take his welcome to class bag that was on his desk. Unfortunately it was a bag of goldfish crackers which he knows that he can't have due to milk. So as soon as we left the building, he said "I am not going to this school. If my teacher knows that I can not have milk, why did she give me goldfish?"

The first day should be fun.

Re: Not off to a good start

• Options
    Poor little guy! My DD has peanut/tree nut allergies, and I know how much it sucks to have to be vigilant all the time. Good for him for knowing that the goldfish weren't safe and protecting himself. They actually don't allow any food in the classrooms at our school, and they rewrote the kindergarten policy manual this year because of a student with a severe dairy allergy. Still, I'm super-nervous about her starting kindy anyway...sigh. I hope his first day goes better.
  • Options
    Rink08Rink08 member
    edited August 2013
    Auntie- We are "on the list" to have an IEP meeting once school starts.
    Last year, his teacher had me bring a box of snacks that he could have which they kept in the nurses office along with his daily milk substitute for birthday celebrations etc. So I may suggest that to make it easier for her.

@Mrszee2b It make things so much nicer if they'd do that at the school. They had implemented a "no sweets" for in class birthdays but were able to send gift bags for the kids to take home and they usually contained things that he couldn't have either and once contained a boxed cupcake.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Auntie- We are "on the list" to have an IEP meeting once school starts. Last year, his teacher had me bring a box of snacks that he could have which they kept in the nurses office along with his daily milk substitute for birthday celebrations etc. So I may suggest that to make it easier for her. @Mrszee2b It make things so much nicer if they'd do that at the school. They had implemented a "no sweets" for in class birthdays but were able to send gift bags for the kids to take home and they usually contained things that he couldn't have either and once contained a boxed cupcake.
    I'm really glad they don't do food for birthdays anymore at our school. Last year when DD was in pre-k I baked so many cupcakes I felt like I should open my own bakery. We got a new principal two years ago, so I'm not sure if that's why things have changed. I know our policy is different from others in our county. I like that it cuts back on the junk food, too.
  • Options
    The classroom policy for my DD1 encourages parents to send "stuff" rather than food -- knickknacks, basically, so that they don't lose class time eating/eat junk/exclude kids with allergies/sensitivities. I'm kind of looking forward to getting creative with it. 

I don't know what the class parties will be like, but I know her first year of preschool (same school) we could only do fresh fruit or vegetables (but not strawberries). Things were a bit more loosie-goosey her second year. But the first year kind of made me realize that if you change the norm, kids often go along with it quite well & it's really the adults with the hang-ups over things like having cupcakes & cookies at parties. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"