October 2012 Moms

So discouraged and guilty (re:sleep training)

Most nights LO only wakes up twice - first one usually DH can comfort him just with 1 or 2 of the Ferber checks.  Second time it's usually around 4am and I just go in and nurse him.  We've tried to wean him off the last feeding couple months ago but we kept having teething, illness, then thrush issues.  I am gearing up to sleep train again, however last night, he woke up at 11pm.  DH went in to and did regular Ferber checks.  however he wailed and screamed and cried for at least 90minutes.  I even had to go hang out in the basement because the cries were getting to me!  I finally just took him and let him play around in the living room for 30minutes before nursing him and he fell asleep. 

Then this AM, he woke up and was all congested and had a runny nose.  I felt SO guilty for letting him cry that long when he was sick!  His nose was running last night but we thought it was from the crying.  Every time I try to gear up for weaning him off the MOTN nursing, something happens.  I think I will have to just give up and let him continue that MOTN nursing.  I just feel torn because I am tired and would like to STTN for once.  ANd there there is everyone else who says I need to get him off.  But every time I try, something happens and I just end up feeling guilty for letting him cry for SOOO long!

Sorry, just wanted to vent!  Hope everyone's long weekend got off to a better start!

Re: So discouraged and guilty (re:sleep training)

• Just echoing the previous posters... Don't do anything you are uncomfortable with. Follow your instincts. And most importantly... Try and not feel guilty. Easier said than done, I know. Hugs, I hope it gets better for you soon.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• People who give you sleep advice can FOAD. Do what you want!
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Don't feel guilty! The same thing happened when we first tried to ST at 5 months...LO woke up in the morning with a cold and I felt terrible. We are also still working with a MOTN feeding that I'd like to get rid of...what I've heard is that there will ALWAYS be something--teething is an ongoing process, kids get sick a lot, there are often changes/transitions, etc...so I wouldn't necessarily use any of those things as an excuse to not ST IF that's what you want to do, and to do it in a way that you feel comfortable with. Of course, it's possible that LO will drop the MOTN feeding on his own (that's what I'm hoping for anyway) so if you want to keep it for now, keep it. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Just wanted to say that we warned DD2 off MOTN feedings by shortening the time I nursed by a couple minutes every few nights, per our pedis advice. It went really smoothly. There were one or two nights where she woke up to eat and I just picked her up and put her back in the crib with a binkie and she took that instead of nursing with only a little crying. It's worth a try to wean the feeding a little more gently. fWIW, I also used CIO with both my girls so I'm not against it, but like most moms, I reserved that as the last resort!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hugs
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"