Pre-School and Daycare

Kids and email

DD broke her elbow last month and DH got her an ipad to survive the summer she was suddenly sidelined for.  He set her up with her own email because it was necessary for her to download games  (he learned while in Estonia for work that everything she downloaded went against his usage on his phone- the account he had her on- and her free downloads, charged internationally cost hundreds of dollars- oops).

ANYWAY.  She just asked for my friend's email (she is close with our family).  I am inclined to say no and only allow her to email DH and me because she's 5 and doesn't need access.  On the other hand I love that it is encouraging the writing.  On the other hand, she is 5.  I don't want her pestering friends/adults, asking if she can play or watch her baby... On the other hand I can check with the friend and make sure she doesn't mind.  But then I open the gates... sigh.  DH thinks I'm ridiculous. 

THoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Kids and email

• I think that is way too young. I think handwriting skills are more important. Have her write on paper to friends

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that is way too young. I think handwriting skills are more important. Have her write on paper to friends

I agree it is too young to have email.  Unfortunately because of the extent of her injury, she can't practice writing easily or without exhaustion after forming 2-3 letters.  Before injury she would write forever. She wrote out the Pledge of Allegiance as a present for her friend... Since the injury I have been letting her do word docs and then send them for her.  We will stick to that, I suppose, so I can monitor.  I tend to be overprotective and was curious/hopeful that was the case here.

• Loading the player...
  • Idani said:
    I'm on team too young as well.  If she wants to write hand-written letters that's great OR if she want's to write an email with you or your husband to a family member that is great as well. Her own....no.
    Thanks.  Usually when DH laughs at me for being overprotective I let him "win" that one.  I'll stay put on this one.
  • I think there is a difference between the content of what she is writing and the method used. I wouldn't have a problem with a young child having an e-mail address. If DS wanted to type out an e-mail to Nana, go for it. Having a personal e-mail address is NBD to me. He would still need my assistance to access it. However, writing to people and essentially "bugging" them about playing or whatnot wouldn't be okay with me.

• Other interesting points.  She emails me and DH- and I think just got hungry to expand her freedom in this grown up venue.  I think I'll compromise and put the grandparents' email addresses in there and that will expand her world.  No doubt her great-grandmother would flip out happily to get an email from her.  I foresee this landsliding into bigger demands, and DH views it as building her repertoire.  Mama's on damage control, Daddy's about giving her a technological edge- lol. 
  • Other interesting points.  She emails me and DH- and I think just got hungry to expand her freedom in this grown up venue.  I think I'll compromise and put the grandparents' email addresses in there and that will expand her world.  No doubt her great-grandmother would flip out happily to get an email from her.  I foresee this landsliding into bigger demands, and DH views it as building her repertoire.  Mama's on damage control, Daddy's about giving her a technological edge- lol. 

One of the "jobs" at DS's preschool this year is "iPad cleaner". I laughed when I saw that next to floor sweeper. And I kind of agree with your H. : ) Technology is such an intergral part of most people's lives, and I think it can be used in an appropriate way for kids.

• Too young IMO!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"