March 2014 Moms

s/o Niece stole my thunder

My niece is 24 but has delays, she tends to "like" every single thing i put on facebook. The other day she liked an ultrasound pic of DD2 from around 16 weeks. I commented "that's myla" but about 6 other people liked it too I then put "don't get too excited that pic is from 2010" Too late, BIL already called the husband at work & said congrats on the baby. DH thought I posted something so he just said thanks and continued to talk about it. I wasn't planning to tell everyone for another 2weeks. But now I definately can't announce with the ultrasound pic....ugh annoyed thanks a lot.

~*Christine*~ TTC #1 with PCOS since September 2005. 8 rounds of clomid- 4 HSG- 3 failed IUI's HSG 11/16 showed no fill in right tube-First RE visit 4/12/07 (my 26th b-day)started injectables with IUI- 75 IU's of Follistim- increased to 100 IU's- HCG 5/4/07 - IUI on 5/6 BFN 5/21 Increased Follistim to 125 IU's tested again 6/18 BFN & AF showed up. Last IUI before starting IVF 6/30/07 ******BFP 7/14/07,7/15/07 & positive blood test 7/16/07****** Our little Bean was due Easter Sunday, 2008 (March 23rd) Kaitlyn Jean arrived 1 week late 3/30/08 7lb 10.5oz 20" perfect! Myla Grace was our little gift, BFP first month off the pill arrived on her due date 12/16/10 BFP number three August 4, 2013 Due March 27, 2014

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (IgP9)

Lilypie - (LMHF)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: s/o Niece stole my thunder

• I could see where that would be annoying.  If BIL hasn't spread the news, you could still announce later.  If it's out early... meh.  That's annoying, but there will be other fun milestones, and now you don't have to be secretive, and you can start having people be all excited for you.
  • Sounds like an unfortunate coincidence that she happened to "like" an old ultrasound while you're pregnant. Didn't anyone notice the date on the picture though??
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i do not disagree, I just wish in general people would be nice

~*Christine*~ TTC #1 with PCOS since September 2005. 8 rounds of clomid- 4 HSG- 3 failed IUI's HSG 11/16 showed no fill in right tube-First RE visit 4/12/07 (my 26th b-day)started injectables with IUI- 75 IU's of Follistim- increased to 100 IU's- HCG 5/4/07 - IUI on 5/6 BFN 5/21 Increased Follistim to 125 IU's tested again 6/18 BFN & AF showed up. Last IUI before starting IVF 6/30/07 ******BFP 7/14/07,7/15/07 & positive blood test 7/16/07****** Our little Bean was due Easter Sunday, 2008 (March 23rd) Kaitlyn Jean arrived 1 week late 3/30/08 7lb 10.5oz 20" perfect! Myla Grace was our little gift, BFP first month off the pill arrived on her due date 12/16/10 BFP number three August 4, 2013 Due March 27, 2014

Lilypie - (IgP9)

Lilypie - (LMHF)
  • wait a minute, I "shouldn't be posting here" because no one loved/ understood how i felt?

Lilypie - (IgP9)

Lilypie - (LMHF)
  • I'm sorry your BIL made an assumption and your husband confirmed it? I don't see that your niece did any thunder stealing by liking a picture that is probably clearly dated 2010. So just don't people until you are ready
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • I think your husband "stole your thunder" more than your niece did. I would think you guys would have communicated about a reveal. Maybe that's just me though.
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    edited September 2013
    1) there is no such thing as thunder stealing 2) referring to someone as having "delays" is really rude, insensitive and screwed up. I really want to sympathize with you but because of your comment I just can't.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JAck5209JAck5209 member
    edited September 2013
    Yup, sounds like DH is the one who stole the thunder. Your cousin did something totally innocent that was completely unrelated to your pregnancy. Sorry that you feel like your announcement was ruined. I hope you still get to surprise some people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • Unfortunately facebook is one of those things that gets out of hands quickly especially when it's good gossip. A few years ago my friend posted something like "This is the year for babies" or "So many babies." We had 5 friends who were pregnant that year. I asked if she was referring to all our friends or if she was jumping on board too. Then all of a sudden people were congratulating her and what not and she had to post no she wasn't pregnant. I made an apology post which she said it was fine, obviously people expected her to be having baby #2. Sorry you feel that your thunder was taken.  :-<
  • I had a situation during my last pregnancy where my brother guessed I was pregnant during a family wknd away and badgered me and my husbandthe entire time even tho I told him to leave me alone. I felt like a bullied little kid cos the more he hassled us the more I was determined not to announce it. I know it didn't take away from how beautiful my baby was and how much we love our son but at the time I was devastated.
    I can understand how you would be disappointed, but at least noone intentionally put your news out there?
    Oh and once my sister thought I was pregnant cos she saw I'd done a stupid "when will u have your next baby" quiz on fb. She was so upset with me- to think I would let her find out on fb!!!! This time I text her as soon as I'd has a positive result!!!
  • If snarks have a right to be snarky, other pregnant women have the same right to complain. We are ALL on the same Discussion board. I remember reading in the rules something about putting in the post title "support only please" if you don't want negative feedback. Just FYI for future reference
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I would be frustrated in this situation too if I truly put myself in your shoes. My boss told one of my co workers 2 weeks ago and I had told no one at work yet! I was not too pleased. But the frustration eventually subsided. So I do understand. So now you should do a cute announcement on FB using a different pic that you know no one has seen. Good luck! :)
  • That does stink, because its exciting news that you wanted to share in your way. I hope that you don't get mad at your niece. But I UNDERSTAND and SUPPORT that you are frustrated. I agree that it isn't too much to ask for women to support each other. I also was raised that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Women should be able to support each other, but unfortunately it's just not reality, especially on this site 30 % of the time. I've pretty much not posted much because I don't want to hear negativity. There are women on here that are kind and supportive so I would just listen to them and ignore the negative ones. Best of luck with your pregnancy and family !
  • car seat said:

If snarks have a right to be snarky, other pregnant women have the same right to complain. We are ALL on the same Discussion board. I remember reading in the rules something about putting in the post title "support only please" if you don't want negative feedback. Just FYI for future reference

I've never seen such a rule. Please go find it.

And sometimes the best support you can give someone is to tell them when they're being ridiculous and gross. 

I feel bad for you if you grew up like that. "You're being ridiculous and gross." Really?!?! Even if its not a rule, and freedom of speech still applies to this pregnancy board, then she could still say "support only please" if she wanted to. And you would have no reason to post if you did not have any positive support to give.
  • Laura8388 said:

I don't think people were nasty or snarky.

Sometimes at home, I have a complete meltdown, over something stupid like, him eating the last pickle.... And it takes for him to hold me by the shoulders to calm me down with "LAURA!!!! It's not a big deal!!!!!" Which I HATE at the time.. But when my emotions subside a bit later, I realize he was right..... And it was what I needed.

I think that's all that happened here.

I think a pickle is completely different than this situation. Granted, I don't know the OP personally, so I don't have any feelings either way, which is why I did not post until she stated she felt she was being personally attacked for being "ridiculous and gross". Some women got on their high horse and told her "if you can't take negative feedback, then don't post", but it seems like they are the ones when called out for giving negative feedback that take it personally. Sometimes we just need to vent, can't a woman vent without everyone who doesn't agree with her telling her she's "ridiculous and gross"?!?! I think a poster is more likely to continue posting "ridiculous and gross" things when she's being singled out than if no one responded at all.
  • You're right, I agree. I'm just making my point, as all of you were. And I'm done.
  • OP - that sucks that it feels like your "thunder was stolen". Definitely frustrating which i understand. But at least it wasn't intentional. I've mentioned this before but both my step mom and MIL posted on Facebook that I was pregnant when I was only six weeks along without my knowledge or permission. Thankfully they didn't tag me so my friends didn't know. With PCOS, I learned I can't control everything in life - a hard lesson for me to learn. A good one though to learn before a kid arrives. The wonderful news is that you are pregnant, people are excited for you, and no one has intentionally done anything to spill your secret. Embrace the time and enjoy it! It doesn't happen that often in our lives! It may even be something you laugh about a few months from now.
    Officially started TTC January 2012
    Dx with PCOS November 2012
    2/2013 - First round of Femara - No O
    Took 2 months to get vaccinated from the chickenpox
    5/2013 - Second round Femara - No O
    6/2013 - Third round of Femara + HCG Trigger Shot = O!
    7/18/2013 - Found out I was pregnant
    Dx with Gestational Diabetes at 28 weeks
    Dx with Macrosomia at 33 weeks
    Taking Glyburide and Metformin to control GD
    Due date is March 29th but we are moving forward with a scheduled C-Section on March 25th

• You're right, I agree. I'm just making my point, as all of you were. And I'm done.

Really? If someone in your family had some challenges would you go around complaining about the person with delays? Would you say that to your niece, in this situation? How about your niece's mom? If you had a child with delays, how would you feel if your child had the nerve to like something that someone on FB had once posted and then that someone bitched about them and their delays on the internet?

It's ridiculous and gross. I stand by it. OP needs to have some respect for her niece. Her niece did absolutely nothing wrong by liking a fucking picture on FB. If you don't want people liking your pictures, don't post on FB.

No thunder was stolen. And people aren't going to care that much, anyway. Sorry, but if you think that people are waiting with baited breath to see if there's going to be a third baby, you're wrong.

Be excited. Love that you're pregnant. Don't freak out over something this ridiculous, and don't look for your joy in this news from other people. 

And don't feel bad for the way I grew up. If I was being ridiculous and posted about my ridiculousness on the internet, people wouldn't be doing me a favour by indulging that nonsense. Sometimes you need to realize when you're being really off, and most of the time people in real life won't tell you.
    My niece has autism, thanks for asking.

• mamamia866mamamia866 member
    edited September 2013
    Yea, it didn't need to be mentioned, but she was just venting. Though, she didn't specifically say "developmental delays" or "mentally challenged", and I am not convinced its implied. Like I said, I don't care either way. Your response was more disgusting to me, which is the only reason I posted in the first place. If we expect other people to be more considerate of their wording, then it should also be expected that we are considerate of ours. I'm not trying to convince you that you're wrong or I'm right, that would be ridiculous. And as I said before, I'm done. Don't expect any more responses from me on this post because its pointless.
  • I actually understand exactly what she's saying on this post. Her sister liked her ultrasound pic from 2010 thus putting it on people's new feeds making people think it was new cause not everyone looks at the very small dates on fb. I get it. A bunch of people liked it basically announcing the pregnancy and therefore stealing her thunder. Really not a hard concept, and yes there's a lot of snarky and sarcastic comments here. People who blindly say there isn't so the "meanifaces" won't start on them too is ridiculous. It's so amusing how so many grown women resort to their high school days constantly on here.
  • I post all the time, get over yourself.
  • Hrose7091 said:

I post all the time, get over yourself.

But you don't white knight all the time!
    Jus' saying.
    I'm not "white knighting" just pointing out that her post does infact make perfect sense and if someone did that to me falsely announcing my pregnancy I'd be kinda annoyed too. We could all sit around on here making sarcastic comments all day but what use would that be? I realize its for your own amusement but maybe take into account that no one treats you the way you treat others. Jus' sayin
  • Sanibel21Sanibel21 member
    edited September 2013
    Hrose7091 said: I actually understand exactly what she's saying on this post. Her sister liked her ultrasound pic from 2010 

I feel the need to point out if you understood
    exactly what OP was saying, you'd know it was her niece and not her sister... 

Edit: quoting fail

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sanibel21 said:

Hrose7091 said:

I actually understand exactly what she's saying on this post. Her sister liked her ultrasound pic from 2010 

I feel the need to point out if you understood exactly what OP was saying, you'd know it was her niece and not her sister... 

Edit: quoting fail

Yeah, cause that's the most important thing taken from this post. I understand the concept whether it was her niece, sister or SIL. :)

• If snarks have a right to be snarky, other pregnant women have the same right to complain. We are ALL on the same Discussion board. I remember reading in the rules something about putting in the post title "support only please" if you don't want negative feedback. Just FYI for future reference

thank you

Lilypie - (IgP9)

Lilypie - (LMHF)
  • Hrose7091 said:

I actually understand exactly what she's saying on this post. Her sister liked her ultrasound pic from 2010 thus putting it on people's new feeds making people think it was new cause not everyone looks at the very small dates on fb. I get it. A bunch of people liked it basically announcing the pregnancy and therefore stealing her thunder. Really not a hard concept, and yes there's a lot of snarky and sarcastic comments here. People who blindly say there isn't so the "meanifaces" won't start on them too is ridiculous. It's so amusing how so many grown women resort to their high school days constantly on here.

exactly. Thanks

Lilypie - (IgP9)

Lilypie - (LMHF)
  • Reading all of this makes me sad. Just sad. Grown women should not need to speak to each other so harshly. I can't understand let alone try to justify some of the meanness on here. It really breaks my heart. Some of the above content is bordering on bullying and as moms/moms to be we should know better.
  • Paying no mind to all the immature garbage on this thread and just getting right to the point...
    Facebook is the devil. I have one, but have had so many negative experiences with it I am thinking about disabling it. I think it's a good idea to disable it during 1st trimester, especially if some people know and you are trying to keep it secret from the broader population.
    My MIL is a Facebook addict. Hubby and I already told our parents and siblings pretty much as soon as we found out. Then I had hubby call MIL back immediately after we told her to say specifically "do not post this or anything alluding to this on Facebook."
    Fast forward less than a week. I have people coming out of the woodwork calling and texting and asking if I was pregnant. I asked them what makes you think that? Their response was my MIL had posted a drawing of a pregnant woman with a superimposed poem about an unborn child and God having a conversation. WTF!?! She did the one thing we SPECIFICALLY told her not to do. Then, she didnt see why it was a big deal when I confronted her, and told me to just lie to the people asking me. Seriously. Then she added a zinger in to tell people how could we possibly think if having a baby when hubby doesnt have a job? ughhhhhhhhh!!!! So I've deactivated my Facebook but will reactivate to post the announcement.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Kalpa521 said:

Reading all of this makes me sad. Just sad. Grown women should not need to speak to each other so harshly. I can't understand let alone try to justify some of the meanness on here. It really breaks my heart. Some of the above content is bordering on bullying and as moms/moms to be we should know better.

I just hate when people on TB talk about bullying--I think calling snark bullying really negates what bullying actually is.  No one on here has superior strength, no one is coercing others to get their way.  Everyone is free to come and go as they wish.  People are welcome to disagree and just because people aren't giving the "support" you may think posters deserve, does not make it bullying.

There was some name calling in the thread and what i perceive to be intimidation and meanness and I think that counts as bullying even though for the record, I said borderline bullying.

:P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"