February 2014 Moms
Options

Doula experiences

I don't know if it's to early to be thinking about this (FTM) but I'm thinking about getting a doula. Did any of you have a doula with your prior pregnancies? Anyone getting a doula for this pregnancy? Basically, I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the money and if you thought it helped with the labor process. Thanks for any input!
Married July 2008
IVF started Jan. 2013, 14 retrieved, 9 mature, 6 fertilized
BFP #1: 3/18/13 MMC at 5 weeks
BFP #2: 6/10/13  Thank God for our precious daughter! She's more than I could have asked for!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Doula experiences

• Options
    I'm not sure, but since they are a support, I would think now is the perfect time to get one. At the very least you will want to know this person bond a little.

*BFP m/c  *BFP b/g twins *S/B 20w  *BFP DS A  1-12-12  *BFP m/c  *BFP m/c  *BFP *It's a boy again* EDD 2-5-14

• Options
    Any doula STMs willing to share- I have no idea about this... How much do they usually cost?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We debated on hiring a doula. We took a great hypnobirthing class (5 3-hour sessions) and DH decided he felt educated enough about our plan and all the instruction we received, that he could act as my labor support. It was just the two of us and turned out to be a great experience. I told him my main goal was for both of us to have a good birth experience, so if he didn't feel totally comfortable in that role, we would have hired a doula.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options

FTM here so no personal experiences. But I looked into it myself. While doing some research I did find out that many get booked up MONTHS in advance. Like...when I was looking a couple months ago, a bunch of doulas were almost booked all through Jan. So I would start looking now for sure! Also, I had asked some people on here also regarding cost, and I think someone mentioned theirs being around $500? I'm sure it depends though!

Good luck!

First BFP 5/29/13 : )

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My first labor and delivery was beyond awful. It was 60 hours, 3 hours of pushing and an epidural that didn't take. I was thrust into the most painful experience of my life with no clue on what to do since drugs weren't working. Thankfully I had a nurse sent to me from God or something and an empty l&d floor which allowed her to stay with me the entire experience. She guided me through and helped me end up delivering vaginally, when I never thought it would be possible.

When I got pregnant the second time, I just knew I had to have someone trained in the birthing experience given my first nightmare. I was scared to death of l&d but knew I could do it. Just needed some support. So I went to the local "doula days" and met some fantastic women and heard some amazing stories. I ended up hiring one ($700) and we developed a phenomenal relationship. She was great. It was so nice to have someone to text and get answers from immediately. When labor began, I knew it would likely be another long one so I settled in for the ride. 18 hours in, my water broke. I was able to handle the next 6 or so hours or so and then asked for her to meet me at the hospital. She walked me through everything. She helped both me and my husband understand what was going on, asked staff questions I would have never known to ask and kept me sane. She also put my body into positions that helped comfort me and move baby down. I am so glad she was with me because I felt like I could do it this time around. My second labor turned out to be a freight train labor. I was a 1 for like 24 hours and went from 3 to complete w head out in about 1-2 hours. Talk about hard. But I did it. And I did it without drugs again!

This time, I'm pregnant with twins. She has been in contact since reading my announcement on Facebook and will likely be with me at their birth. I just need to find out the hospitals requirements for twin births.

I highly recommend a doula to everyone. While you think you have l&d planned and its going to go as you expect, it might not. And you don't want to be unprepared like I was my first time. Had my nurse not been there the entire time, I know I would have ended up w a c/s.
  • Options

My first labor and delivery was beyond awful. It was 60 hours, 3 hours of pushing and an epidural that didn't take. I was thrust into the most painful experience of my life with no clue on what to do since drugs weren't working. Thankfully I had a nurse sent to me from God or something and an empty l&d floor which allowed her to stay with me the entire experience. She guided me through and helped me end up delivering vaginally, when I never thought it would be possible.

When I got pregnant the second time, I just knew I had to have someone trained in the birthing experience given my first nightmare. I was scared to death of l&d but knew I could do it. Just needed some support. So I went to the local "doula days" and met some fantastic women and heard some amazing stories. I ended up hiring one ($700) and we developed a phenomenal relationship. She was great. It was so nice to have someone to text and get answers from immediately. When labor began, I knew it would likely be another long one so I settled in for the ride. 18 hours in, my water broke. I was able to handle the next 6 or so hours or so and then asked for her to meet me at the hospital. She walked me through everything. She helped both me and my husband understand what was going on, asked staff questions I would have never known to ask and kept me sane. She also put my body into positions that helped comfort me and move baby down. I am so glad she was with me because I felt like I could do it this time around. My second labor turned out to be a freight train labor. I was a 1 for like 24 hours and went from 3 to complete w head out in about 1-2 hours. Talk about hard. But I did it. And I did it without drugs again!

This time, I'm pregnant with twins. She has been in contact since reading my announcement on Facebook and will likely be with me at their birth. I just need to find out the hospitals requirements for twin births.

I highly recommend a doula to everyone. While you think you have l&d planned and its going to go as you expect, it might not. And you don't want to be unprepared like I was my first time. Had my nurse not been there the entire time, I know I would have ended up w a c/s.

Woah... You are such, such a strong woman! You are amazing! Thanks to you and the OP because I was just thinkinf about doulas today.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm going to jump on this and see if I can find someone I like soon.
    Married July 2008
    IVF started Jan. 2013, 14 retrieved, 9 mature, 6 fertilized
    BFP #1: 3/18/13 MMC at 5 weeks
    BFP #2: 6/10/13  Thank God for our precious daughter! She's more than I could have asked for!

• Options
    I have never heard anyone regret hiring a doula- only those who wished they had.

• Options
    I AM a doula, and so obviously will encourage you to look into it! It can take some time to interview around and see whose personality and style suits you and DH best. It's never too early to start! Doulas can be very very valuable to both you AND DH (often I hear most from husbands about how helpful we were, even just making them feel more calm), no matter what kind of birth experience you're looking to have/end up having. Their fees can range according to area and experience. Doulamatch.com is a good website to start looking.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I live in the Cincinnati/NKY area and ours cost $250. Best money I ever spent! I was able to labor at home with comfort until my water broke and then we headed to the hospital after arriving I deliveried 20 minutes later. She was amazing at keeping me calm and comfortable. She also kept docs/nurses to my birth plan because my obgyn didn't make it to delivery.

Highly recommend we are using the same doula this time!
  • Options
    STM here, but DS was a preemie and csection baby. I hadn't hired a doula for his birth (was going the typical epi route).

I really want to hire one this time around. My XH and his GF used one for their birth (non-medicated, hospital) and raved about it.

Basically a doula is there for support, physical, emotional, etc. they are advocates to the staff for the birth you have planned. They allow you and your partner to relax and focus on each other and the labor process.

A doula will do anything from give yiu a massage to talk you through contractions... Basically it all depends on what you want and what each particular doula offers. Although most of them offer the typical two prenatal visits and one post birth visit.

I'd highly recommend looking into one no matter what type of birth you plan. They aren't just for med free births.

My life, my love, my boys
    imageimage

DS: Liam born 8.30.10 at 35 wks (PPROM, Pre-E, C-Section)

DD: BFP 6.9.13, EDD 2.12.14, A/S 9.20.13... It's a Girl!

Adeline Leigh born sleeping 2.11.14 at 39 wks 6 days

How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts. - Dorothy Ferguson

• Options
    The hospital we are delivering at also has volunteer Doulas. I think we may go this route. As a FTM I am not sure once I get into full force labor if I will want someone else I there with us or if I will be the "I am in pain,don't touch/talk to me type". You could always see if your hospital has something like that too, then its free!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"