Special Needs
Options

list of best states for services and special ed?

My DH and I are in limbo and trying to decide our long term future (location wise). We live in Michigan and have access to a lot of services here but haven't been impressed with Early Intervention. DD will likely start preschool in January. She has ASD, developmental delays and vision issues.
Are there resources that rank the best states or cities for services or for special education?
We are still considering moving to VT to be close to family but want to male sure the quality of services and special ed is the same.

Re: list of best states for services and special ed?

• Options
    I have wondered this since our ASD journey.

I do know big cities have more to offer when it comes to services. There are also several school districts and schools to choose from.

At DS preschool they started an Autism class sponsored by the University this year and DS got in. I fear for his kindergarten year because I don't know anybody. This town is new to what autism is.

I would move to my hometown based on school districts and schools.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't found any rankings for special education services by state, but United Cerebral Palsy ranks states by availability of developmental disabilities services.  https://www.ucp.org/the-case-for-inclusion/2013/

Vermont actually ranks very well (third, I think this year, and first last year).  The report and our knowledge of some of what's available solidified our decision to move there in a few years.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    https://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=health&url=https://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57405482/what-are-top-places-to-live-for-people-with-autism-/&catid=57405482

Sorry, can't make it clicky.
    I live in Long Island and I have to say that I will never move because of the services we get, compared to friends out of state we are very blessed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the resources!
  • Options
    I agree that it can fluctuate within a state, county to county, school to school, and across providers. My sister-in-law who lives, 3 hours away, but within the same state, had a VASTLY different experience with services than we did. Our boys were similar ages when evaluated by EI, were being evaluated for similar issues, and the whole process was completely different. They go to another branch of our therapy center, that is closer to where they live and its different. She is having trouble getting her son an IEP, or even a 504, or any accommodations. Their parish is dragging their feet about any and everything, while my son's curriculum coordinator/AP told me when we met before school started that she would try set in motion the process to get extra speech for him, in addition to what he receives privately. So very different, and all within the same state. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Zeidy01 said:
    https://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=health&url=https://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57405482/what-are-top-places-to-live-for-people-with-autism-/&catid=57405482 Sorry, can't make it clicky. I live in Long Island and I have to say that I will never move because of the services we get, compared to friends out of state we are very blessed.

Same here, we live in Brooklyn/Queens and pre Dx we had talked about eventually moving out of state but not so much anymore.  I read about people on waiting lists in other places and we never had to wait for anything.  It was literally like today approved, tomorrow therapist calling to set up schedules.  You can't beat that.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    It varies. I would be wary of areas with low funds, law suits, and missing service providers or that have trouble getting insurance and Medicaid to pay.
  • Options
    I think it varies provider to provider and it seems too risky to me to choose my long term location based on a subjectively compiled list.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    -auntie- said:

What you need is to contact a local SEPTA of support group and get the local 4-1-1 about any area in which you might settle.

Auntie...can you elaborate on what you wrote above, please?

I am looking to move out of state (to NJ) and am trying to narrow down and determine which town/district would be best for my son. I'm curious how to go about doing that.

Thanks!

• Options
    Auntie, thanks so much! I've been looking at the school data, but couldn't make much sense of it bc I didn't know what to focus on. Your suggestions are excellent!
  • Options
    My son has profound developmental delays and went to a UCP school when we lived in NY. When he transitioned to Kindergarten and into NYC's K-12 system, I was very disppointed in the services and equipment. I found a school I loved for him (CPNJ) and then figured out where we'd have to move in order for him to go there. (I asked the school which districts their students came from and would therefore be willing to pay for transportation.) In our case, a good school is a major priority because he receives all of his services there. Additionally, since we are living in an urban area outside of a major city (Newark) there are numerous services and choices. Now, my son is thriving at his new school and we've pieced his medical care together. We kind of worked backwards by finding a school first, but we also took a lot of "chance" out of the equation by doing so. Couldn't be happier with the outcome!
    Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"