Natural Birth
Options

postpartum pitocin

Has anyone had to receive pitocin postpartum? My midwife has told me I will receive a shot since I have an additional lobe on my placenta, and I was wondering what if any dangers there are of this ppt. I am doing my own research, just wondering if anyone else has had this?

Re: postpartum pitocin

• Options
    It's pretty standard. Pretty much anyone who delivers at a hospital gets it as part of the usual course of things. I requested not to unless I needed it and I didn't need/get it, but I would have been fine with it if necessary, like it sounds like it is for you.

The baby is already out so there are no dangers to the baby. Maybe the only "danger" for you would be additional contracting/cramping since that's what it's designed to do. The alternative can be hemorrhaging and bleeding out so I wouldn't resist at all if your midwife thinks you need it.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pdilly2b said:
    It's pretty standard. Pretty much anyone who delivers at a hospital gets it as part of the usual course of things. I requested not to unless I needed it and I didn't need/get it, but I would have been fine with it if necessary, like it sounds like it is for you.

The baby is already out so there are no dangers to the baby. Maybe the only "danger" for you would be additional contracting/cramping since that's what it's designed to do. The alternative can be hemorrhaging and bleeding out so I wouldn't resist at all if your midwife thinks you need it.
    Same here.  I never got it because the OB was very busy that night so they never got around to administering it.  IMO it has more benefits than harm after birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes - and lots of it. Turns out I was one of the 3% of women who experiences extreme post-partum hemorrhage. I still ended up needing a blood transfusion, but without the pitocin my situation would have likely been worse. I fully realize what happened was very much out of the ordinary, but I still wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

If your doctor or midwife thinks you may need it - get it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I delivered in a hospital both times and they do it on a case-by-case basis.  I didn't get it either time, because they never offered it.  Had it been routine I probably would have accepted it and would have definitely done it if it was recommended by my MWs.  The most current research seems to support using in after delivery.
  • Options
    Yes - and lots of it. Turns out I was one of the 3% of women who experiences extreme post-partum hemorrhage. I still ended up needing a blood transfusion, but without the pitocin my situation would have likely been worse. I fully realize what happened was very much out of the ordinary, but I still wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

If your doctor or midwife thinks you may need it - get it.
    This.

About 20 minutes after delivery, everyone was panicking and I said, "okay, you can give me the pitocin shot now," and they said, "we're past that, you're already getting it in a drip!" I hadn't even noticed...lol

Since the baby's already out, I think the risks of atonal uterus outweigh the risks of postpartum pitocin. I will get it again, especially since I'm predisposed to an atonal uterus, apparently...

• Options
    I had an extra lobe on my placenta last time and did not have pitocin. Administration of pitocin usually depends on how well your uterus is shrinking down. Never heard of it because of the shape of the placenta. I would question a little more. Because nursing your baby releases the natural form that essentially does the same thing...so breastfeed a lot.
  • Options
    I didn't have it with my first two, but had it with my third. My OB uses it on a case by case basis. With the first two I delivered the placenta very quickly. The third time it was taking awhile and my bleeding was pretty heavy so they gave it to me. I trust my docs to make the right call based on the situation. I really didn't notice any side effects or any reaction to it at all.
  • Options
    I had it, TBH I don't know whether it's routinely administered or if OB ordered it for a reason. At the time, I was so focused on baby and trying to stay still while getting stitched despite the lovely post delivery shakes, it just wasn't on my radar. The whole scene immediately post-birth is a bit of a blur at this point.

imageimage
  • Options
    I had it with my first birth and not with my second.

I didn't notice a difference between them. Post-birth pitocin is very low risk and generally not something I'd worry about. I only didn't have it this time because the paramedics didn't do it.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies!!
  • Options
    skioskio member
    I asked my OB about postpartum pit because neither he nor I were comfortable with using pit during labor since I was a VBAC. He explained the benefits to me, said it was standard at the hospital where I was delivering, and assured me that it posed no risk of rupture because the contractions that exist after the baby is out are not labor contractions. They are postpartum contractions and are much different. I trusted him and allowed the pit, no issues. And he was right...as soon as baby was out, I didn't feel and contraction pain despite the pit.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I asked my midwife last week. She said it is totally standard now. She was receptive to my request that I get postpartum pitocin AFTER the placenta is delivered. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They gave me pitocin and I had no idea until it was already flowing. It made me cramp and it was not comfortable but it was peanuts compared to contractions. Sounds like it depends on the hospital
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I might be wrong, but I think my midwife told me last baby that put icon IM or IV has become standard of care to manage third stage. With that being said, I am ok with it because I tend to bleed a lot. I need pit and cytotech. But otherwise, if it was my first baby or I never had any issues, I'd probably refuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"