August 2013 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding: getting enough?

I talked to the nurse at my pediatricians office this morning and she wasn't concerned so I don't know why I am panicking. That being said, my milk came in this morning and LO has been feeding almost every hour but he won't stay on for more than 5-10 minutes and won't take the other side. He is meeting his goal on wet diapers but has only had two spoiled and hasn't had one since around 4am. He's never fed for the 15-30 minutes like what is considered normal. My mom said he may just be full from having milk instead of colostrum but I was curious if any of you experienced this. We weighed him (I know, could be way off) on our home scale and he still seems within normal range but I'm worried. How long would you wait between spoiled diapers before taking him in? He is supposed to have 4-6 wet and soiled diapers based on his 4 day age. Thoughts? I know you're not doctors but just seeing if you've had this happen.

Also, does anyone have experience with a baby that only will feed on one side? I have been manually pumping the other side and dumping to make sure it stays producing. He is getting milk from the other one the entire time he feeds.

Thanks in advanced!

Re: Breastfeeding: getting enough?

• Options
    tanabeanstanabeans member
    edited August 2013
    First of all don't dump the other side, save it.
    When my milk first came in she was still nursing around the clock and only for short bursts. She will let you know when she needs more. Just feed in demand until se gets more of a schedule. Remember her belly is just learning how to work.

If she is not soiling diapers . You may want to pump a little while before you give her your boob so she gets more hind milk. I have read that's where the poop comes from. I wild read more in this though cuz I haven't researhed
  • Options
    I wouldn't be overly concerned if your milk just came in. In saying that I'm new at this! but I do know that my lo was behind on diapers until my milk came and now she's making up for it. If his weight is okay I wouldn't panic I would possible hand express a small amount to maybe make it easier for him to latch.
    ITS A GIRL!!! TTC 8/11 November Clomid 150mg+trigger+IUI+TI= BFP<br>
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Both my kids have only fed on one side. No big deal. They also eat anywhere from 5-20 min for a feeding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    My dd is the same way. She has gained enough weight but I was still concerned and saw an LC for a weighed feeding.

Turns out she is a strong sucker and I have a fast flow/ bit of an oversupply. She also still nurses very often (14 to 20x a day) so each feeding is only 5 to 7 min. I also do block feeding to ensure she gets hind milk.

Also I pump once a day for the freezer stash and so DH can feed her occasionally.

She's a month old and has gained over 2 lbs since birth. I think we're doing something right.

• Options
    My little guy usually feeds for less than 15 mins. Pedi said as long as the baby takes their self off the breast, they get enough. They know when they are full. It's not uncommon to go days without a poop, ESP in a BF baby. Pedi said not to be worried as long as they are passing gas, wet diapers, and don't seem to be in distress, and are feeding well. BM is so absorbable that there's not always a ton of waste.

Go by wt and number of dirty diapers, not by the length of the feeding. And save the milk! It's perfectly good milk.
  • Options
    Girl that stuff is liquid gold don't dump it. Freeze it. DD loves my left side compared to my right. She will nurse anywhere from 8- 15 on a side. When she was 4 days old didn't have a poopy diaper all day but plenty of wet. Called pedi and they said wet is what you wanna see bf babies can go days without bm. That night she had a big poopy diaper. As long as she gains and has wet diapers don't stress.
  • Options
    Have you tried changing your hold style on your other side?

My LO is a month old, and only nurses 5-7 minutes at a time. Shes gaining well. You could have a quick letdown/strong sucker. Just keep counting diapers. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    LO only eats about 8 minutes or so. He has a good suck on let down. He weighed 9.8 at birth and 8.13 once we left the hospital. This week at his 2 week check he was 10.5. Sometimes it isn't always how long but how much they are getting.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    You can try doing before and after feeding weights to make sure baby is getting milk, but at 4 days don't stress it too much. At 4 days we went almost 24 hours without a dirty diaper, then 2 days; bam. Just keep offering both breasts whenever baby wants.
    You may want to contact a LC about latching on your neglected breast. We have trouble with latching on the right sometimes, and the LC showed a bunch of helpful tips.
    Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Options
    I also have oversupply and a strong letdown (if DS isn't eating when I letdown it actually hurts and stops me in my tracks) and DS eats one side per feeding for under 10 minutes at a time and DD was the same way once she was a little older. You will be super thankful about this when baby is older! :)

The only thing I have to add is that I wouldn't pump the other side especially since your milk just came in. By doing so you're setting yourself up for oversupply issues because you're telling your body that you had more than one baby.

The first 3ish weeks you only want to pump or manually express enough to make yourself comfortable if you absolutely have to. As long as you alternate which side you're feeding on and you BF on demand around the clock you won't stop producing.

My Dr said that with BF babies really any frequency of soiled diapers is normal as long as the texture and color are normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"