August 2013 Moms
Options

Spit up craziness!

I checked a few pages back and didn't see anything on this.

My 2 week old LO spits up like crazy. This mostly has to do with my supply. I have a big supply and she just guzzles. I pull her off to burp her during feelings, but she's literally done in 10 minutes! I have tried block feeding and not sure there is any difference.

I asked our pedi about this and she didn't seem overly concerned, but did say to keep her in her crib rather then in the RnP to incline which my son used at night until he was 6 months. I am just scared she's going to choke from spitting up on her back. She does sleep in the RnP during the day.

Anyone else have an LO who spits up like crazy? I have a lactation appt. this week and hoping I get some tips to help LO.

Re: Spit up craziness!

• Options
    I did, but it was formula. My too oldest ... One would spit up and was happy so not worried. My son had GI issues.
  • Options
    All of mine are spitters. Two happy, one refluxy. The happy spitters (my oldest and one of the boys) were just from a forceful letdown and self-regulating how much they needed to eat. The refluxy baby is clearly different. He was screaming from pain every moment of his awake time.

A BF baby can't overeat, they'll just spit up whatever is extra. So if you have a happy spitter, it's really not a big deal. Just keep well-stocked in burp rags. Fwiw, it does get better as they get older.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds similar to my LO, my MW isn't concerned. She said that if baby is happy and gaining it I'd completely normal. What gets me is changing her clothing so often- I feel like I get her all clean and dry just for to spit up again :(
  • Options
    mrs.JL said:

Sounds similar to my LO, my MW isn't concerned. She said that if baby is happy and gaining it I'd completely normal. What gets me is changing her clothing so often- I feel like I get her all clean and dry just for to spit up again :(

Ha! This is me exactly! :)
  • Options
    Yep. I find it interesting pedi wants them in the crib though. We find keeping her in the bouncer helps lessen the spit up at night. Laying her flat makes it worse. To me that is a suggestion, as the parent you can choose whether you do it or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    Surprised by your peds advice as mine advised the opposite. You can easily incline the mattress in the crib by putting something between the mattress and bottom of the crib. We did that with our first she she got out of the RNP and into the crib. Kept her head end up and foot end down but she was still in the mattress. DD2 is a spitter too, but she is hanging in the RNP.

If your LO is still spitting up in 2 months, I would revisit the issue as it may be GERD which can cause esophageal damage from stomach acid on delicate tissue. 

• Options
    Dd spits up maybe 2 to 6 times s day (not sure if this is a lot) but when she does it on her back, she just turns her head.

I think all babies have the instinct to turn their heads to the side when spitting up, so that may be why your pedi is still recommending the crib.

• Options
    Our little one spits up constantly, but she's not in pain. We asked our ped about it because we were nervous she'd choke in her sleep, and she basically said it wouldn't happen. Babies naturally will turn their heads and take care of themselves :)
  • Options
    This happened with my oldest. He was a happy spitter, so we just kept him in bibs during his hours awake. It saved us a lot of effort in changing his outfits constantly. Eventually it just went away as he got older.

If you buy bibs, if suggest ones that have a more water resistant backing. The pure cotton ones will leak through depending on the amount of spit up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"