August 2013 Moms
Options

Leaving LO

DH and I were thinking of taking his mom out to dinner this weekend for her birthday and leaving LO with my sister for an hour or two. I trust my sister more than anyone but DS will only be 2 weeks.. It just feels too soon to leave him.. If only for a small amount of time. I've gone out on an errand run once so far and left him with DH, but that felt different. Anyone else struggling with when is the "right time" to leave LO with a (trusted) sitter?
Mason Lee 
Born 8/18/13 
A13 May Siggy Contest 

Re: Leaving LO

• Options
    I left LO with my sisters on Monday for a couple hours because I desperately needed to get my car tires checked before carting a little baby around. She was a little less than 3 weeks old. I fed her and then made a mad dash to the tire place to get everything taken care of before she needed to eat again. I felt like it was a race against time lol. When I got back, she had been whining for about 10 minutes to be fed so I didn't do too bad time wise. It was stressful but it just prepares me for times to come.
  • Options
    While I haven't left LO yet (he's less than a week old), my parents are still talking about how they had to leave my brother when he was about 2 weeks old to go to my uncle's graduation.  I think if it's something that you really want to go do and you feel comfortable doing it, then go for it.  Can you eat somewhere nearby in case you need to run back?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have left my LO with my mom for a couple hours everyday since tues. She lives in our neighborhood and its really easy to just have her watch the baby while DH and I run quick errands and such. Thursday we even went out on a date. I trust my mom 100 percent so that is probably why I have no problem doing it. She loves the baby days so I want her to spend as much time as she wants with her new grandson.

• Options
    I left Lo for two hours at 2 week old with my mom so dh and I could go out and grab an appetizer and drink. My mom was staying with us and leaving the next day. I figured it as the last time for a while I would have the opportunity of having a babysitter so we put dd1 to bed and went out. When dd1 was born we left her for the first time when she was a month ok and that's because my sister forced me to go out
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We left DD1 at a week with my mom. DH and I went out to get Chipotle and some ice cream. It was a fantastic little break.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • Options
    We will be leaving LO with my mom at just short of 4 weeks old to attend a dear friend's birthday party. My mom is actually more nervous than H and I are. We will be gone around 6 hours so I'm getting bottles ready to feed her.

• Options
    I've left him for a couple hours. Mil asked last night when he could sleep over, I told her when he is a teenager. We both laughed and she was like "yea maybe in a couple months" and I was all like "nope".

• Options
    Not yet. But our wedding anniversary is coming up on September 15. So that'll be our first outing without her. Plus nobody but me has spent enough time with her for me to feel comfortable leaving her. At this point even leaving her with DH would be hard.
  • Options
    We left DS with my MIL and had lunch at Panera at a week old. At two weeks old he stayed with my mom for 2 hours while I got a pedicure. I'm EBF right now so 2 hours away from him is as long as I would go.

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have only left LO with her Daddy for an hour, and she's 3 weeks old. I just don't want to leave her! I have already cancelled some plans I had just so I could keep her instead.

With DS, I left him for the first time when he was about a month old so I could go out for lunch on my birthday.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I haven't left her yet except for 30 min with DH so I could go upgrade my phone.

We don't trust any of our friends or family here with a newborn (either they are elderly or have no experience) and I EBF so it's pretty much all on me right now.

I have a fussy, high needs baby and I would really like to just escape for a couple hours, but Id feel guilty leaving DH alone with Dd during her colicky hours. She's 5 weeks 2 days.

• Options
    I never did that with any of my babies, I took them with me and they learned to behave in different situations. I couldn't stand to be away from my babies for more than a few minutes before I started to miss them, it's the same with my new baby (#4) 8/21/13, I finally took a little quick shower, only the 3rd since he was born 4th if you count the one I took before we left for the hospital in a cab. That shower was so nice and he was still napping when I came out, woke up about 5 minutes later to nurse.
  • Options
    My mom keeps telling me that DH and I can go to dinner while she watches LO while she's here, but I can't imagine leaving my LO with anyone other my DH right now.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    My ILs were coming over and we needed to run a bunch of errands and I thought it was too soon to take my LO with me, so I had my Pastor's wife watch my LO for 4 hours so I could get some stuff done. He was 10 days old. Everything went well.
  • Options
    At a week I left dd for an hour with mil and SIL while I ran a few errands. I came back before she needed to be fed but t felt good to get out. I did feel like I was racing the clock
  • Options
    This may sound bad, but I can't wait to leave LO for a few hours with a trusted family member once I start pumping. I am not sure that I was so eager as a FTM, but as a STM I know how good it is for me to get out and enjoy myself.
  • Options
    Dd1 was with me 24/7 until I had dd2. She was 18 months old.
    Dd2 was less than a month old before I left her.
    I quickly realized with more than one sanity breaks are much needed

Do what you are comfortable with
    Tara
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"