August 2013 Moms
Options

After pains

I've tried mr.google and maybe I can't seem to word it right or it could be completely normal. I don't remember what I was like after having DS.. But having DD has been completely differently, anywho.

I'm 10 days postpartum and I have really bad right abdominal pain, fairly low down.. I would say above, but to the right of my who-ha, and It's only the right side. Example: whenever I stand up I tend to limp because it will kick in and I honestly can't walk normal, picking up LO or DS it will hurt..

Anyone else have something similar??? The birth was uncomplicated.. I didn't have stitches either, and labor was quick as well (4 1/2 hours) and med free. Only thing I can say about it is LO hand was stuck while I was pushing and the doctor had to go in and unhook it from my insides.. But I'm sure that isn't uncommon.
photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif

Re: After pains

• Options
    It could be your uterus contracting, but I really wouldn't know. That's what I attributed my pain to, which tends to be worse after pumping for feeding DS. It's gotten better the last week, but those first two weeks were occasionally rough.
  • Options
    It could be after pains they can be more painful in 2+ pregnancies but if it lingers I would consult your dr.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey. I had the similar thing. I did not have any after pain with DD, so when I had those pain with DS it was a huge surprise and definitely unpleasant. No one had talked about the pain, so I was totally unprepared.

First several days were the worst, I thought I was having contractions again (went med free too) esp when I was nursing DS. Now I feel the pain site getting lower and lower and with less intensity, since the pain is from uterus contracting back to its original size, so I guess it's working...

When I googled it, it said the pain usually gets worse the more kids you have (yay :-( ) because your body knows what it is doing and speeds up the uterus shrinking process.

I found hot pack in the area helps and also drinking red raspberry leaf tea several times did help me. Motrin nor tylenol #3 didn't do much for the pain for me, so I stopped taking them. Hope you feel better soon!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had extremely painful after pains this time around too. When vicoden stopped working, I knew something was wrong and it turns out I had a bladder infection. 10 days pp seems kind of lengthy for the true "after pain". Maybe go get checked out for peace of mind
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had no after pains with my first, and it was a very nasty surprise with my second. This time, they are even worse. I am very thankful this was my last.

It is just like you describe on the lower right side of my belly (where my uterus is). I originally wondered if I was getting appendicitis or a kidney infection. It is worse when I nurse or if I have to pee. It gets extremely painful if I am gassy or if I haven't pooped recently and hit me at random times until I use the bathroom. (sorry if tmi).

If it is constant (and you have used the bathroom), call your doc. Kidney/uti infections aren't uncommon after delivery. But if it comes and goes it sounds normal.

Hope they pass quickly for you!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Options
    Going to preface this with a warning: this was my experience and in no way am I trying to scare you

After dd1 I had what I consider to be normal after pains. I would cramp while nursing and when getting up from a sitting position. Yes they hurt but only needed ibuprofen for pain

After dd2 I had similar after pains. They were just a tad stronger. At 5 days pp I had pain low down near my pubic bone. They were so bad I called my midwife and asked if it was normal. She said with baby 2 they should be stronger and I should "suck it up" it's part of motherhood. I delt with it for another day and by that evening I was hunched over crying in pain. Btw I did 15 hours of active labor at home without crying. We went to the er and had an ultrasound. I had tiny pieces of placenta left and had to have they removed. I had turned septic. It took 6 months to get rid of the infection. Needless to say they were not my doctors this time around

With baby 3 I had normal crampy ness while nursing. Nothing like the knife like pain after dd2

My advice is if you feel like something is off get checked out. I wish I would have listened to that inner voice a lot sooner
    Tara
  • Options
    Marvel1013Marvel1013 member
    edited September 2013
    Thanks ladies. It's usually always there. When I get up from sitting I can't really walk, and pills don't really do much. I take LO to the doctor soon (my family doctor) so maybe I'll bring it up then.. Hopefully it's nothing and just regular pains... Ouch @tarapike86!What an awful experience
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"