September 2013 Moms
Options

WWYD NBR

My aunt has decided to buy herself a new car and has offered to give us her old one. It is a 2008 Chevy equinox with about 140,000 miles - it was used as her personal vehicle as well as on & off a delivery vehicle for our flower shop. It always been well maintained since it was used at the shop and has no problems/ damage that makes it a bad car. It just has a lot of miles. 

My current car is a 2002 Ford Taurus 95,000 miles that my mom had shipped up from Florida from her sister. This car has always given me a lot of mechanical and is easily at the body shop 2 times a year.

My husband's only concern is that the chevy has so many miles on it.. but I still personally see it as an upgrade since my car never runs right IMO. I also think that he doesn't like the idea of a "hand me down" from his aunt. Realistically too we wont be able to look into a new car for me until maybe 2015. I also don't drive much/far since everything i need/go to is in about a 5min radius of our apt. and at max 15mins. So I won't be putting a ton more miles on the chevy if thats what we decide to do.

Thanks for any input ladies!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary 

Re: WWYD NBR

• Options
    When you say give, do you mean free? Or does she have a payment that you would take over? Also is the Taurus paid off? Those would be the main deciding factors for me. Mileage isn't really that big of a deal if the car has been well maintained. With regular maintenance cars can easily run over 200k miles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Yes my Taurus is paid off as is hers and she would be giving us free her car and I would give her mine to trade in

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I THINK the equinox is bigger. If I'm right, considering the other factors that you've mentioned I'd take the equinox. I'm thinking the space would be nice in case you decide to take LO anywhere with a stroller or travel any type of distance to see family/friends/vacation etc.
  • Options
    I'd take it as long as you're cool with paying more for gas. No question!
  • Options
    Do it. You'll pay for the mechanical issues until your current car could've paid for another in repair costs. High miles isn't a factor with good maintenance. My suv has over 250,000 miles on it and runs perfectly. My husband is a mechanic and so is my dad so its always been maintained really well.
  • Options
    I'd take it! I agree, mileage isn't always the biggest factor. Fords usually aren't as good as Chevys. I say this, being the owner of a Ford, and with a father who owns an auto repair business.
  • Options
    I'd take it. Cars always require maintenance, but it sounds like the Equinox is better anyway. Plus it's 5 years newer, even though it has more miles, it's seen less winters (depending on where you live)!
  • Options

We have a 2007 Equinox with 160,000+ miles on it. We had lots of issues with it last year and had to put about $3,000 into it - right after we bought it w/out a warrenty (dumb mistake on our part). We had a blown head gasket that we weren't aware of and it created other problems, which is apparently a common problem with them once they get high miles according to my brother who is a mechanic. Since then we haven't had any problems with it - *knocking on wood*.

If she is giving it to you for free and she has kept up on the maintanence of it I would take it. Other than the issues we had I really do like the Equinox. I went from a Malibu to the Equinox and as much as I love my Malibu I love the extra space the Equinox gives me - you will appreciate that with a LO.

• Options
    Sounds to me like you should take it, first because you want to and for reasons others mentioned: more space, runs better than yours, it's newer even though it has more miles.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for you input!! I really am pretty car stupid so to me it seemed like a lot of miles especially since that was what my husband was upset about. But after hearing all your thoughts I am going to tell him that I am going to switch the cars and take the equinox. It definitely gives us more space, it's newer than mine, has waaaaay less problems than mine does. So to me it sounded like a no brainer. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"