February 2014 Moms

BV Diagnosis :(

I went to the midwives today and tested positive for BV.  I've had light spotting on and off for weeks, but didn't have any of the trademark signs of BV.  

I've actually never had any kind of vaginal infection before, so this is all a little foreign to me.  I'm also a little worried about the potential increased risk for pre-term labor, miscarriage, and low-birth weight.  Google can be a scary place.  Thanks for listening, loves.

Re: BV Diagnosis :(

• Thoughts and prayers sending your way!
  • Hopefully they can give you meds to take care of that quickly!

• Loading the player...
  • Don't worry! I went to my regular OBYGYN for my first pregnancy appointment before my OB referral, and the cultures she took then came up positive for Gardnerella BV. The OBGYN called in a script for antibiotics even though I had no symptoms, but I took her word for it. I brought it up at my first appointment with my new OB and he said he wouldn't have even bothered testing for it or treating it unless I complained of symptoms. He said he was surprised she even ordered antibiotics because he said it usually doesn't impact pregnancy and that they would just monitor it, but I know there are a couple of other bacteria strains that come up for BV, so I don't know if it applies to you. Remember, Dr. Google usually makes the worse-case scenario!
    Batman_dickbutt photo 328_batmansmall.jpg

Feb. 2014 Moms January Siggy Challenge: Cute & Clumsy Animals
    Maru!
  • mythaldo said:
    Don't worry! I went to my regular OBYGYN for my first pregnancy appointment before my OB referral, and the cultures she took then came up positive for Gardnerella BV. The OBGYN called in a script for antibiotics even though I had no symptoms, but I took her word for it. I brought it up at my first appointment with my new OB and he said he wouldn't have even bothered testing for it or treating it unless I complained of symptoms. He said he was surprised she even ordered antibiotics because he said it usually doesn't impact pregnancy and that they would just monitor it, but I know there are a couple of other bacteria strains that come up for BV, so I don't know if it applies to you. Remember, Dr. Google usually makes the worse-case scenario!
    Thanks for the reassurance!  

And @calimama2007 I already ran to a 24-hour pharmacy to get started on some meds, so I hope they start working away ASAP.

• Ohiomama81Ohiomama81 member
    edited August 2013
    BV really sucks, but is nothing more than your ph being off and can be taken care of with antibiotics (flagyl or clindamycin) I had bv my last pregnancy so took clindamycin since i cant take flagyl as well as probiotics because it kept coming back. Sending positive thoughts your way!!!
  • Thanks @Ohiomama81. I've been feeling irrational guilt for having BV and this makes me feel much better. Thanks for the tip on probiotics!
  • edited August 2013
    No clue why the Bump has me under my old Knot username, but this is LetoileDuNord. Technology.
  • Your welcome @MissSparkles45!! Its no need to feel bad or guilty about. Bv is actually quite common more than people think and many suffer from recurrent for years like myself which is why i now take the probiotics because bv is horrid :-) Glad i could help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"