Baby Names

BNR Homework Assignment

Hi ladies,

I haven't posted here in a while, but thought of you when DS1 received his first kindergarten homework assignment. They're discussing why each of them is special and as part of it, they'll present the meaning of their names and why they were selected. He has to fill out a worksheet about it, as well as orally present it to the class. I'd love to be a fly on the wall!

Just had to share :)

P.S. I'm also thrilled to report that although DS1 has a name that's constantly deemed "too common" on this board, he's the only one out of literally 97 kindergarteners. These are the kids with which he'll by and large grow up. WOOHOO!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BNR Homework Assignment

• I am giggling thinking about if my students had to do this assignment. "What does your name mean?" "I have no idea. My mom made it up."

It is a cute assignment, thought. I hope Nora gets to do something like this for school some day.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• This is why it's important for people to really think about the names they pick! You never know when stuff like this will come up. But I gotta know, how does a kindergartener "fill out a worksheet?" That sounds a bit excessive to me but I know nothing about education these days.
  • Loading the player...
  • Worksheets are a big thing in K and the early grades, around here anyway. At this point, though, the kids typically dictate and the parents, in turn, put pen to paper. It's a collaborative effort.
  • So cute. I'd love DD to have this assignment

• Lamb29 said:
    I love this! DS1 never did this at his school, I would have loved it if they did.  Maybe with DS2 :)

Is this one of the things they might keep posted on the wall for awhile? It would be super cute to see!
    I wish, but doubtful.
  • mh89mh89 member
    I hope my kids have an assignment like this! How cute! I always hated that my mom basically name-jacked my name from a friend's kid because "it sounded pretty" and there was no personal meaning behind it. This is why I only use names that mean something to my family. 
    image image

• Yeah, it was fun filling out the worksheet with DS and explaining the meaning behind his name to him. His MN is significant for 3 distinct reasons, but I left out 2 b/c it seemed too complicated for him to communicate to his class. I'll save it for when he's a little older.
  • Grade school teachers who post here on the regular, take note! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Grade school teachers who post here on the regular, take note! :)

I was just thinking I'd love to do this! Some names make you really wonder...

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"