October 2013 Moms
Options

So bummed out!

After looking for a house for nearly a year we thought we finally found one. Did everything we had to do with deposits and bank stuff. Everything was approved and we got a closing date of September 30th. My EDD was 10/7. We were cutting it close, but I wasn't freaking out until I went to my last OB appointment and they told us to get ready. So anyway we moved up the inspection of the house to yesterday and we got the report this morning. The inspector was amazing and really went through each and every nook of the house.
The report was not good. The roof needs to be replaced, the water heater didn't work, there was mold in the attic, the 2nd floor bathroom wasn't usable, a tree had to come down that was in danger of falling over onto the house and the icing on the top of it all there were sever cracks in the foundation that he recommended we have a structural engineer come out to look at the house.
Hubby and I just got into a huge argument because he still wanted the house and I don't! I'm not bringing my boys into a house that is so unsafe. He tells me I'm being ridiculous and we need a house because our 2 bedroom apartment is too small. Now we have to find a new place to live all over again and I'm so over it and worried about little one coming early and half the apartment is packed already.

What do you ladies think am I being unreasonable?
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: So bummed out!

• Options
    I don't think you're unreasonable at all.  See if the seller will fix the major issues (roof, water heater, and foundation), and if not, pull your offer.  I completely get the wanting to move into a house, but there are so many incidentals that really add up quickly that the massive amounts you would spend on top of it all just don't seem worth it (unless you are really under budget).  I think a small 2 bedroom apartment is better for the time being than a ticking time bomb of a house!  
    photo 2465-1_zps83b1ff09.jpg
    Married 6/26/10  TTC 1/13  BFP 1/31/13   Wills born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think you are right. Unless you were already prepared to do that work. A roof can cost a pretty penny. Also we have a two bedroom, 700sqft house and are bringing home our third. You work with what you have.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Seller refuses to fix anything in the house. It
  • Options
    It's so hard to find the perfect house but its a big investment and I wouldn't make a quick decision. We just purchased our home and the inspection said we needed a new roof and we asked the seller for the money and he didn't give us any problems about it. Maybe you can ask for a credit? If not, I'd keep looking because it sounds like you could have a large bill of updating on your hands!
  • Options
    Then that makes your decision easy.  Why do a home inspection if you plan to ignore the results and buy it anyway?  Sounds pretty foolish.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    If seller refuses to fix anything then I personally would pull out now. Even though inspector was thorough this could just be the tip if the iceberg.

As for hubby, sit him down and make him watch the money pit that might change his mind.

Seriously though, good luck with whatever you choose.

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• Options
    Sometimes the seller is willing to fix stuff. We have an old house and seller fixed a bunch of stuff on engineers report.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Options
    Uh pass! Those are the just the tip. There is always something else that you don't know about until you are a year into the house. Even if you had the money for the renovations, you'd have a baby and trying to fix the place up. Uh no thanks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    We searched for well over a year for a home. Anything with mold or structural damage was an immediate no for us. Mold is a pain to deal with properly and structural damage can get very expensive very quickly. If the seller won't front the money and you guys are set on the house then I suggest the following.

Have people come out and give you an estimate on what it would cost to fix all the problems. When you get those ask to have a large portion if not all of those expenses taken off the selling price of the home. For ex: selling price is 200,000. Estimate is for 30,000. Ask for the seller to drop his asking price to 170,000-175,000. If they still refuse walk away but keep an eye on it. Now that they know of all these problems they HAVE to disclose it, meaning it won't sell for asking price. Good luck and be paitient.
  • Options
    Whether or not you take a home with that many significant issues depends largely on the price of the home and/or whether the current owner is willing to do anything about it before the sale.

That said, with an infant at home I wouldn't really want to be facing all of that work unless you can afford to keep your apartment while the work is being done.

We did a lot of work to our house (and bought it well below the asking price because of it) when we moved in but we had no kids at the time. 

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • Options
    I would walk away to if the issues weren't fixed or price dropped. You're not being ridiculous for wanting to bring a newborn or any other children home to somewhere safe for them. The whole point of the home inspection is to let you decide for yourself the mess you're getting into so you can opt out if it's to much. Who knows maybe if you wait a little while you might find a better deal or a better house. 
    Mommy to 2 handsome boys, expecting a princess!
  • Options
    I don't think you are being unreasonable.  With that many issues they are going to have a hard time selling it then unless they drastically reduce the price.  My family flips houses, and I wouldn't touch one with that many problems unless the seller came down enough in price to justify it.  I would also get a structural engineer out there before deciding, just to get an idea of what needs to be done and now much it will cost if I were still considering the house.

Honestly it sounds like this isn't the house for you guys if you are arguing over it.

Foundations are a huge expense and can take quite a bit of time to repair, and in some cases you cannot be in the house while the repairs are happening, it all depends on what needs to be done.  A new roof can also cost a lot, if it's just new shingles and they can go over the old ones (only ever have two layers of shingles at a time, if there are already two layers than they need to be stripped before the new ones are put on) it's not too bad, but if they need to be stripped, that adds to the cost, and if the wood under the shingles needs to be replaced than that really jacks up the price.  Water heaters are not the worst repair/replacement thankfully.

BFP #1 09/15/09, MMC 09/28/09
    BFP #2 06/04/12, EDD 02/09/13, MC at 6w3d on 06/18/12
    BFP #3 01/16/13, EDD 10/04/13, Born 09/17/13

• Options
    I know the feeling of disappointment! We were trying to sell our house and get something bigger before LO arrives but that's not happening! We are considering taking it off the market for awhile bc I don't want to be under the extra stress while also adjusting to life with a newborn. It's definately a bummer but Im accepting it now!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • Options
    CousinVickiCousinVicki member
    edited August 2013
    no house is perfect, the hot water heater/tree wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.   i would need more info on an 'unusable' bathroom?  

Also, unless the roof is officially leaking, just having an old roof is not a reason for a seller to put in a new one for you.  i am lol'ing at everyone saying "oh a roof is expensive!"  hello welcome to home ownership, you don't walk into an older house with everything updated.

i would DEF. want the mold issue in attic taken care of though and a structural engineer to come in and tell me wtf is going on first.

• Options
    no house is perfect, the hot water heater/tree wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.   i would need more info on an 'unusable' bathroom?  

Also, unless the roof is officially leaking, just having an old roof is not a reason for a seller to put in a new one for you.  i am lol'ing at everyone saying "oh a roof is expensive!"  hello welcome to home ownership, you don't walk into an older house with everything updated.

i would DEF. want the mold issue in attic taken care of though and a structural engineer to come in and tell me wtf is going on first.
    All of this.  My house is over 100 years old, things pop up all the time.  I did purposely buy it to fix up, but when opening up walls you always end up finding something else hehe.

• Options
    My house is almost 100 years old. We knew when we bought it that there was some small immediate projects that had to be taken care of. They were small and within the budget.  We did have to take down a tree unexpectedly, and that was almost $1000 and we still have the stump. I've had friends get billed for close to $2000 for trees...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    allurea said:

All of this.  My house is over 100 years old, things pop up all the time.  I did purposely buy it to fix up, but when opening up walls you always end up finding something else hehe.

The house is only 40 years old. An the roof is leaking into the attic. The unusable bathroom on the 2nd floor is because both the tub and toliet leak and the bathroom vents into the attic which is whats causing the mold along with the leaking roof. Oh an I just found out the electrical is not up to code.

• Options
    Dont walk RUN far far away

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

The house is only 40 years old. An the roof is leaking into the attic. The unusable bathroom on the 2nd floor is because both the tub and toliet leak and the bathroom vents into the attic which is whats causing the mold along with the leaking roof. Oh an I just found out the electrical is not up to code.
    That is a LOT to take on if it's not something you are prepared to do.

• Options

I don't think you're unreasonable at all.  See if the seller will fix the major issues (roof, water heater, and foundation), and if not, pull your offer.  I completely get the wanting to move into a house, but there are so many incidentals that really add up quickly that the massive amounts you would spend on top of it all just don't seem worth it (unless you are really under budget).  I think a small 2 bedroom apartment is better for the time being than a ticking time bomb of a house!  

This!!
  • Options
    Walk away!! If seller refuses to fix anything it's not worth it. You are talking thousands and thousands of dollars to fix those issues!

Also, it's better to buy after summer, housing prices usually drop about 5%
  • Options
    Dealing with construction is one of the more stressful things you can do to a relationship.  Adding that stress to the stress of dealing with a new baby?  Oh hells no.

This isn't the house for you, however "convenient" it may seem at the moment.  You'll be regretting your decision within a year if you buy it, I guarantee it.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

March 24bimageimageimage
  • Options
    Walk away! This isnt the time for you to buy a house to fix up with this many issues.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"