Parenting

15 worst cities to raise kids

Someone just posted this on FB. I find it odd and funny that my city is on here. Since we're kind of not on the map really if it weren't for the military.

https://www.wetpaint.com/moms/articles/2013-08-23-15-worst-us-cities-raise-kids
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: 15 worst cities to raise kids

• My city made the list as well- same city I was born and raised in. I turned out okay!
  • It seems like some of the places on the list would be amazing places to raise children if you have a ton of money. For the average person, however, many of the world-class educational, extracurricular and healthcare options that cities like New York and SF offer would be out of reach.

• Loading the player...
  • I find it a little odd that Portland is on the list. I think it's pretty family friendly. The bad thing about Portland is the economy (a lot of unemployed and underemployed people) and the terrible public schools. However, Portland has a ton to offer as well and you can make it work, assuming you're able to find a decent job.

We're planning on either moving to one of the suburbs with better public schools or doing private school and sacrificing a little bit of disposable income for awhile. It's worth it to us to stay in Portland because we love it and feel like it's a great place to raise a kid.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I feel as if the only reason my city is on there is due to the high populace of military and shipyard workers. None of them get paid a ton, unless your higher up. Houses are OK priced, school district sucks, and childcare is astronomical. Other than that we're alright.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"