September 2013 Moms

I know it's not HTT, but...

...I couldn't wait! I feel like this letter regarding Miley Cyrus's VMA performance could be entertainingly addressed on this board. (Man, even typing the word performance didn't even feel right!) Feel free to join in if you can't sleep and/or are in a mood where you'd like to debate.

Dear daughter, let Miley Cyrus be a lesson to you

This article on the blog post discusses her father's reaction to the performance. 

Any thoughts?
VOTE on my Name List
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I know it's not HTT, but...

• mrskeyte9mrskeyte9 member
    edited August 2013
    My DH said he needed to rinse his eyes out with gasoline after her time on stage (because he refused to call it a performance of any kind). I completely agree with him AND this letter. DH and I talked about how we're 23 (which is part of her "target audience") and that "show" of hers made us feel old and "stuck in the olden days". None of what we saw was totes sexy, cute, hot, or adorbs. **eye roll** We did read an article afterwards how she said even if you hated her performance, you still helped her break a record with YouTube or something. She said even if we hate her we helped her and promoted her. Bless your heart huney, because I did not help or promote you in a good light. All I could say after she got off stage was "bless her heart...her achey breaky heart..." X_X

ETA: clarification
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • msronziomsronzio member
    edited August 2013
    @mrskeyte9 I thought maybe I was just being obnoxious, but by the reactions of those in the audience, it really seemed like everyone's eyes were violated there and no one was really impressed. She's 20 years old for fuck's sake. 
    Publicity stunts irk the living crap out of me. When I heard about it the next day (because I don't watch worthless VMAs -- my music is too weird to ever present itself here) I just rolled my eyes due to how much more attention "crazy" child stars get. See: Amanda Bynes. 

Anyway, I thought the letter was cute. That mom can definitely write her thoughts a hell of a lot better and more constructively than I could ever hope. This also epitomizes why I was scared shitless going to my gender U/S. I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to baby boys, but hot damn would I be terrified if I was having a baby girl! I can't say I despise Miley or anything like that, since I know her producers are just rolling in ratings right now, but she is the last thing I'd want my little girl to grow up to be. Seriously. Zillionaire or not. 
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @msronzio I loved that article! I will say I'm somewhat of a hypocrite though, I like MOST of today's music but some of it just flat out scares me. For instance theres a song that pretty much repeats "bubble butt" the entire time...how is this music?? No matter the song, I'm not out twerking or attempting to procreate on the dance floor. Our extent of listening to today's music is in the car and maybe singing along if its one that we really like, which it tends to be country 80% of the time. That being said...DH and I have made it very clear, when our daughter is in the car that music will not be played. We have a friend who's 4 yr old sings the lyrics "were up all night to get lucky" anywhere we are. And we've had a previous friend who's 2 yr old sang "shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots..." Not adorable. How did they hear such things? In the car of course. Having a girl, we're terrified. We can only hope we do our best to place proper values and environment around her to where she doesn't end up 90% naked twerkin her booty to a song singing about "big booty hoes" or "baddest bitch in this place".
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • https://ericclapp.org/2013/08/28/how-to-talk-with-your-sons-about-robin-thicke/

okay, but also read this article (I hope the link works!) my friend posted a link on fb, and I'm glad I read it. We need to teach our sons and daughters how to have self respect & respect for other people. I'm especially passionate about ending violence against women and there are deep psychological roots in our culture that need to be addressed.

• I hadn't seen it yet because I had no desire to watch the VMA's (not really my style of music) so, yeah, I watched it on YouTube. Oh. My. Goodness! It makes me so concerned to raise our daughter! I mean yes, I know that we have some control over what she see's and we will influence her and everything but if THAT is what a role model now looks like what in the world will they look like in 15 years when she hits high school? I know even though my parents tried keeping some of the more radical stuff away from me while growing up I still had friends I would watch and do that stuff with when I went over to their house because it was "cool" (you know, typical high school girl attitude). I just hope Zoey is smart enough not to emulate every silly thing she sees on TV etc. 
  • I can't believe her father would actually support that behavior. I think self expression is great, but she has gone off the deep end. Miley exhibited no respect for her self, Robin Thick's wife, or anyone who looked up to her. It doesn't matter if she likes it or not, the fact is that she is a role model to little girls everywhere and she should be ashamed of herself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • She's not a role model:

role model - (noun) someone worthy of imitation

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• redfallon said:

She's not a role model:

role model - (noun) someone worthy of imitation

I agree she isn't anyone to idolize, but people look up to her as a role model and she should act accordingly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"