November 2013 Moms

Baby shower date question

So today I was told about my baby shower and what was needed from me (address and guest names). I was really excited because I didn't think we were having a shower... But then I was told the date. The 20th. And no, not of September. Of October. The doctor now thinks baby girl will be here between the 26th of October and the 5th of November. How can I ask for the shower to be earlier? Or is that rude? My older cousin is throwing it with the rest if my family, and since the invitations haven't gone out I don't feel like its a huge deal to change the date. But I need opinions. I really want to be more prepAred before the baby gets here and I think it's too close to the due date. I'll be miserable, and then I won't be able to unpack the shower stuff at our home. I don't want to sound like a brat because I want the date changed, but it's a concern.

Re: Baby shower date question

• I think if you ask them to change the date and tell them why it shouldn't be a big deal. It's your shower and you should have some say in it. I would make sure to let them know that you appreciate them throwing it for you though. Good luck!!
  • It's perfectly reasonable to tell them that while you appreciate the thought, you are uncomfortable with a shower that close to your due date.

If they absolutely can not do any other weekend, then you have to decide if you are OK with it, or if you should just decline the shower all together. (I'm sure you want to hang out with family and friends, but it is an option if you're uncomfortable having the shower that late.)
  • Loading the player...
  • My hostesses have been pretty accommodating, I mean they're throwing the party for you, seems like they'd want you there. Just tell them strait out what the doctor thinks, and ask them how they want to handle it I'd LO comes early. Plus you'll want more than a week to assess what you get from the shower and what you need to buy additionally. I say just be up front and ask them to nicely move it up. I'd ask for sept 20 or oct 1 at the latest :)

• I think this is very reasonable. I have been to two showers where the guest of honor was not there because she was in the hospital. They had already been paid for so we went, dropped off the gift, ate, and went home. I'm sure the hosts would rather would be able to attend after all their work.
  • I agree with previous posters.... You DO have a say in when your shower is-- you are the guest of honor! Oct 20 is wayyyyyy too close!! I'd politely thank them but let them know what your doctor says, and also ask them if we can move it up to end of sept/ beginning of October.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"