Preemies
Options

Ah help. Acid reflux

I feel helpless, I have elevated his bed at night and tried to burp him well, tried keeping him still after feeds and it's so hard to watch him constantly swallowing. Is there anything else I can do. Help preemie moms, my baby is roughing it with acid reflux.

Re: Ah help. Acid reflux

• Options

My son had reflux.  We had to go to a occupational therapist and have a wedge made for my son.  And we lined it with burp clothes and receiving blankets. He would sleep on this at night, and we kept it on the floor.  We also put him in a bouncer. 

And when I had my daughter, we just put her in a Rock n' Play. 

This is what it looked like:

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    anna2089anna2089 member
    edited August 2013
    That is so nifty, It's especially hard to let him lay on the floor bc of it, man I wish I had one of those, I might talk to my ped about it. And my son has been in the bouncer a lot it's a god send. What made ur son have to get the wedge? Was the reflux keeping him up at night and how long was he having reflux?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have so far been lucky enough to control Anna's reflux with behavioral changes:
    • burp her often during feeds (when she nurses I burp her every time she pulls off, my DH burps her every oz during bottle feeds)
    • hold her upright while she takes her bottles 
    • hold her upright for at least 20 minutes after she eats
    • sleep in a rock n play

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    anna2089 said:
    That is so nifty, It's especially hard to let him lay on the floor bc of it, man I wish I had one of those, I might talk to my ped about it. And my son has been in the bouncer a lot it's a god send. What made ur son have to get the wedge? Was the reflux keeping him up at night and how long was he having reflux?
    The first day that I was home with him, my son had like 3 reflux episodes, and it was during the day--like there was stuff coming out of his nose and his eyes were like up.  It scared me, and I contacted the pediatrician.  We had to learn how to hold him while feeding him and keep him at an angle for a while after we fed him.  As well, when we took our son to his first pediatrician appointment, the pediatrician decided to send us to an occupantional therapist for the wedge.  And we were also going to the same pediatric outpatient therapy department at the same hospital for other issues-they were checking on his progress, and he would sleep more on his right side so his head was a little flat on one side. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    My DS had bad reflux too. He was on Zantac so that helped his pain. He a quite a few episodes where it came through his nose and it scared us but as he got bigger they became fewer. Have you seen a pedi GI yet? Ours recommended adding rice cereal to his formula and that also helped a lot too. We always held him for 20 min after feeding and if had to put him down, it was only in the rock and play. He also slept with a wedge under his crib mattress and that seemed to help too.
  • Options
    One of my boys has reflux. He screamed all day every day. No happy awake time. His little body was so tense from the refluxing and the crying. You couldn't lay him flat without having him do the silent cry. It was awful.

Zantac helped him sooooo much. It's like 90% better. He still gets unhappy if he's close to his next dose and he still spits up (which is expected on Zantac) but his face isn't screwed up into this perma-scream anymore and turns out, he's a pleasant little baby.

I'm not into medicating babies at all, but this has so drastically improved his quality of life that it makes sense.

• Options
    One of my boys has reflux. He screamed all day every day. No happy awake time. His little body was so tense from the refluxing and the crying. You couldn't lay him flat without having him do the silent cry. It was awful. Zantac helped him sooooo much. It's like 90% better. He still gets unhappy if he's close to his next dose and he still spits up (which is expected on Zantac) but his face isn't screwed up into this perma-scream anymore and turns out, he's a pleasant little baby. I'm not into medicating babies at all, but this has so drastically improved his quality of life that it makes sense.
    Pretty much this.  M's been on Zantac for ages now and though it doesn't reduce the amount of spitting up at all, he's clearly not in as much agony as he was.  

Have any of you ended up at the chiropractor for reflux?  LO's been going for about a month now and I can't say that I've seen any improvement there.  He has a bit more range of neck motion which has mildly helped his plagiocephaly but no GI improvement yet.
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My 26 weeker had to be on reflux meds. He has been on Prevacid forever and there were times when we have been able to reduce the dosage and was even off of it for a couple of months. But he is now 5 and still on it because he still gets flare ups. I would definitely look into getting him reflux meds. I hope it gets better for him soon!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"