September 2012 Moms
Options

So I registered DD for part-time daycare, and MIL made me cry over it. Fuck.

So I toured this daycare today, and loved it. The teachers seemed like a great fit, it's literally 2 minutes from my office, and overall, I just really loved it. I registered Hannah for 3 days a week, starting September 16th. Shortly after, MIL called and I shared the news. She seemed a little put off by the fact that her offer to occasionally watch Hannah on a Thursday, when they're not on vacation, wasn't enough. I got off the phone with her, and she called back 10 minutes later. She asked if I 'really wanted to sacrifice my time with Hannah for MONEY' (she emphasized money) and that I was lucky that I didn't need to work for money, and that Hannah was so young, and wondered if it was really worth 'missing out on so much'. So I naturally felt like shit, and called H bawling as soon as I got off the phone, and now feel completely not-confident in my decision. Just venting in the only place that I really can. Carry on.

Re: So I registered DD for part-time daycare, and MIL made me cry over it. Fuck.

• Options
    That sucks. Obviously you going back to work isn't totally about money because you don't need to. It's about doing something for you. They baby will get the benefits of day care and still have mommy time. She is quite lucky!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsKipperMrsKipper member
    edited August 2013
    She has no right to make you feel bad about a decision you've thought long and hard about! If you and YH have decided that this is what is the best fit for y'all, then that's the final decision! Shame on her for making you question any of that!

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Your MIL was out of line. She's likely of a different generation that didn't place much value in a woman's fulfillment outside of the home. Doesn't make it right though.

The interaction she gets at daycare will be good for her. The interaction you get at work will likely be good for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Your MIL is a bitch. What you are doing is good for both of you. Don't feel guilty. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options

It's good for Hannah to socialize and interact with other kids.  It's good for her to know that women can work and contribute to the household.  It is good for her to have a mom that is fulfilled, and if that means you want to work part time and have adult time, then that's what your family needs.  Period.

Your MIL sucks. 

• Options
    What Lois said!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Your MIL sucks! This is a great thing for Hannah and you. I'll call your crazy ass MIL and tell her to STFU, I'm in that kind of mood today.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Don't feel bad about it. We plan to send DD as soon as we can afford it. She currently spends three days a week with MIL which is amazing and free. But we'd really like to get her more social interaction with more children. So we're looking into twice a week or even half days. I found a place I love and think would really benefit her. And I'm hoping it gives us a chance to meet more people with kids, we're the first of our circle to have a baby so we don't get playdates often.

You have to do what you think is best for your child whether others agree or not.

• Options
    mrsbhk22 said:
    Your MIL was out of line. She's likely of a different generation that didn't place much value in a woman's fulfillment outside of the home. Doesn't make it right though. The interaction she gets at daycare will be good for her. The interaction you get at work will likely be good for you.
    ITA!

• Options
    BPerBPer member
    And now H just called me because MIL called HIM crying...over me sending Hannah to daycare. I need a bottle of wine, with a fucking straw.

• Options
    BPer said:
    And now H just called me because MIL called HIM crying...over me sending Hannah to daycare. I need a bottle of wine, with a fucking straw.
    He's not entertaining it is he?  Oh goodness, I would be livid.
  • Options
    BPer said:
    And what was your H's response to that (her calling and crying about it)?

Your MIL is seriously overstepping her bounds and needs to be put in her place by your H!  

You have thought about this, and you know that you made a GREAT decision for you and for Hannah!  She has absolutely no right or authority to tell you differently!  If Hannah is anything like my Luci, she will flourish at daycare and enjoy the interaction and you will get to experience wonderful things, because she will talk more and play more and you will be personally fulfilled by your job!

I am so sorry you are going through this @BPer!  Creepy internet stranger hugs

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    I don't have to work, I work because I want to work. Not everyone is cut out to be a SAHM. Don't let her make you feel guilty about wanting a career. I promise you my kids are thriving, way more than if they were home.

Example: I am pretty picky about the menu at daycare. One thing I make sure to check out before deciding on a daycare. Daycare is closed today, James had a donut for breakfast and a slice of pizza with a pouch for lunch. Obviously, daycare is way better at feeding my kid than me.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    BPer said:
    Somethings DHs need to keep to themselves. What was the point in telling you this? I sure hope he shut that down.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    BPerBPer member
    H says he'll support me either way, but he also feels like part of me wanting to work is me thinking that I'm always spending his money, and not looking at it as our money. I'll admit, that is in the back of my mind sometimes, but I've alway worked in fast-paced careers, in good positions, and I'm having a hard time adjusting. Plus, we don't have a lot of 'mommy & me' activities in our area, and I think it'd be great for her socially, to be around other children. Maybe it will be different a year from now, but there's just not a whole lot that I can 'do' with her at this point.

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    I don't have to work, I work because I want to work. Not everyone is cut out to be a SAHM. Don't let her make you feel guilty about wanting a career. I promise you my kids are thriving, way more than if they were home.

This x1010.

• Options
    melody921melody921 member
    edited August 2013
    I'm sorry she said that. Her response sucks. Working is not going to harm your child. Ignore her and be confident that you're giving yourself something to call your own and giving LO a chance to socialize. What did your DH say?

ETA: Your MIL sounds like she spouts the same kind of crap I hear from my grandmother all the time.

• Options
    BPer said:
    H says he'll support me either way, but he also feels like part of me wanting to work is me thinking that I'm always spending his money, and not looking at it as our money. I'll admit, that is in the back of my mind sometimes, but I've alway worked in fast-paced careers, in good positions, and I'm having a hard time adjusting. Plus, we don't have a lot of 'mommy & me' activities in our area, and I think it'd be great for her socially, to be around other children. Maybe it will be different a year from now, but there's just not a whole lot that I can 'do' with her at this point.

You don't have to justify your reason for wanting to go back to work. I work because I have to but I would also choose to work even if we didn't need the money. Men work while raising children all of the time and they aren't expected to justify their reason for working instead of staying home, why should if be any different for women.

It is none of your MIL's business. Her calling your husband crying is clearly an attempt to manipulate the situation. She needs to stay out of it. If you think working is the best thing for you, do it! Your LO will do great at daycare.

imageimageimage

• Options
    hmp1 said:

Example: I am pretty picky about the menu at daycare. One thing I make sure to check out before deciding on a daycare. Daycare is closed today, James had a donut for breakfast and a slice of pizza with a pouch for lunch. Obviously, daycare is way better at feeding my kid than me.
    Totally agree. I kind of feel like I get the best of both worlds by being a SAHM mom over the summer and a working mom during the school year.  But I don't think I could ever be a full time SAHM.  DDgets so much rich interaction with other kids at daycare.  I feel like I don't do enough with her to keep her stimulated.  Plus I think I'm a better mom when I'm busy because I know that any free time that I have is when I have to get stuff done.  Over the summer I have spent waay too much time lounging and being lazy. (read: bumping) 

• Options
    I really hope your husband told her to mind her own business. What a wench.  You are doing what you need to do to make yourself happy. I wish you could just tell her to shove it.
  • Options
    maybe you should buy your MIL a bottle of wine.  make her feel better.  and tell her to calm down, it will be ok.

• Options
    miss50 said:
    maybe you should buy your MIL a bottle of wine.  make her feel better.  and tell her to calm down, it will be ok.
    Only if the bottle is corked.
  • Options
    miss50 said:
    I think she should buy you a bottle of wine...right after she apologizes
  • Options
    Your MIL is a bitch. What you are doing is good for both of you. Don't feel guilty.
    This about sums up my thoughts. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    Your MIL is crazy. I know you already know that. No matter what decision you make, she is probably going to try to make you feel bad. I bet if you stayed home with H for a while more, she would be harassing you about why H isn't with her more or why she doesn't get more socializing time with other babies, etc.

She sucks. I hope you enjoy your wine.

• Options
    "MIL, we make the decisions for our child as we see fit. Because you cannot respect our decisions, we will be taking a break from you to focus on our family and re-evaluate the role of extended family in our lives. We will contact you again when we are ready to hear your apology and slowly resume contact, as long as our decisions are respected. We love you and want to have a relationship of mutual respect, but right now that can't happen. We'll try again in a few weeks/months."

Ideally this would come from your DH, of course.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh. Your mother in law fucking sucks.

Don't doubt your decision. If you hate it and you feel like you're missing things with H, you can cut back on work. It's not a life sentence, going back to work p/t. It sounds like the best of both worlds to me :)

And congrats on finding a great daycare!
  • Options
    Tell her to mind her own business. It is gonna be great for her to socialize and for you to see something else.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"