November 2013 Moms
Options

NBR: Suggestions for a dish to pass?

I think I posted it as my FFFC last week maybe, but tomorrow we're going to this family reunion my Dad's family has every year.  We're basically only going because my Dad has invited all of these people to the shower and I feel like I have to show up now (even though we're not close and I don't know half of them).  The whole saga is kind of a long story.  On the invite it says that everyone should bring a dish to share, which part of me thinks is tacky but part of me gets it because it's something they do every year so that way no one person/family is stuck paying for the whole thing (he has a large family).  But--we live 3 hours from there and everyone else is local.  I don't really want to spend a lot on something and it has to sit in my car for 3 hours, and I'd rather not do something hot because I don't know about the ability to reheat.  Ideas?

Re: NBR: Suggestions for a dish to pass?

• Options
    fitmama418fitmama418 member
    edited August 2013
    You can never go wrong with a pasta salad. Make it tonight and chill it and then by the time you get there it'll be perfect temperature. Just don't prepare it with onions or mayo that's my suggestion.

EDIT: to include my go-to recipe

Tri-color rotini
    Pepper jack cheese
    Italian dressing
    Black olives
    Green and red peppers
    Pepperoni (optional)

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options
    I did a tomato salad. Tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, kalamada olives, red onion, feta cheese. Add 1 part red wine vinegar and 2 parts olive oil. (I do 1/8 to 1/4 cup vinegar depending on size)

You can toss it on greens if you want or eat it as is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What about a dessert that doesn't have to be heated or cooled like cookies, brownies, 7 layer bars, cupcakes, etc?

BFP 9/4/12 EDD 5/9/13 missed m/c 10/10/12

BFP 2/26/13 EDD 11/1/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  This dessert idea is sounding more and more appealing--plus if I make something I like I can have some :-)
  • Options
    Chips and salsa. Cookies, Or else bring pop. I'm lame I guess.

• Options
    Chips and salsa. Cookies, Or else bring pop. I'm lame I guess.
    We have DH's family reunion this weekend and this is exactly what I'm doing.  I'm bringing chips and dip/chips and salsa and a couple 12 packs of pop.  It's only 15 minutes away, but I've been super lazy in the cooking department lately. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Funfetti cupcakes...mmmm.  I'm usually one of those people that makes everything from scratch but it'd be totally easy to do those.
  • Options
    I'm only suggesting this because I want it but Spinach dip in a bread bowl. Yum! You can put the actual dip in a small container and put in a cooler for the drive and just put the bread in a ziplock bag. Get to the gathering and pour dip into bread bowl.
  • Options
    Homemade rolls. Mmmmm.

• Options
    wedding06 said:

I have been dying for some funfetti cupcakes so that is my suggestion :P

The funfetti cookie recipe on the side of the box is super easy and makes bakery type cookies. Mmmmm...off to the store I go...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"