September 2013 Moms

Checking yourself??

This may entertain some of you fellow insomnia/feeding Mama's!!

So I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, she just had a baby in March and was on a BMB (not TB but I'm not sure which one exactly). We were talking about cervical checks and she said lots of women on her board continuously talked about doing their own cervical checks. Um??? Huh? She said they would go into detail on squatting in the shower and feeling themselves. I CANNOT imagine doing this for several reasons!! We just laughed and said those women were "cray cray" (I don't use that phrase but it somehow felt appropriate for the situation) but then I thought...how common is this shit?!?! If at all. Any of you ladies heard of this craziness?!

I by no means am supporting this, have attempted this, or are even thinking of attempting this...I just am curious if this is like an "underground club" thing?? Good lord I hope not :/
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Checking yourself??

• Wow. I am so glad this post wasn't about you checking yourself. That is crazy. No, I have not and will not check myself. Ha! Just the idea makes me laugh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow. I am so glad this post wasn't about you checking yourself. That is crazy. No, I have not and will not check myself. Ha! Just the idea makes me laugh.

Haha! I could see how the title may be misleading! I told my friend "I can barely reach around the belly to wipe after I pee...how in the crap do you get up to your cervix?!?"
  • What the crap? It is absolutely gross just thinking about it. I am trying to imagine how someone can do this. I can barely put on my own undies ; this one is just MIND BLOWING!!!
  • mrskeyte9mrskeyte9 member
    edited August 2013

What the crap? It is absolutely gross just thinking about it. I am trying to imagine how someone can do this. I can barely put on my own undies ; this one is just MIND BLOWING!!!

I got my foot stuck sideways in my sweat pants earlier and had to yell for DH because I couldn't reach...if I'm having that bad of problem with my pants, how in the crap do you get up into your cervix?! Lol.
  • How in the world could anyone manage to do that? I can't even get down there to tidy up so how do you do manage a self check? Weird!
  • mrskeyte9 said:

@HBirdie--Those are perfect! I kinda feel like they go in order of if someone attempted to check themselves! Like a before, during, and after! ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you're so right! Completely unintentional! That's hilarious.
  • Whoa. No way I'd ever check myself. It's not pleasant when someone else does it & I'd have no freaking idea what I was doing.

• I totally remember a post on the bump with a woman checking herself, but it was a while ago and I'm not sure which board. She was totally flamed. It's so unsanitary!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • That's weird and sounds equal parts unsanitary and uncomfortable. That being said, my SIL and I were pregnant at the same time last time, and she actually had my BIL check her. Ew. My husband has no business rooting around in there either. Apparently she didn't feel the same. Not sure why she bothered considering she was always in l&d thinking it was time.
  • I don't get how they know what to check for. I think they are liars. Maybe it makes me feel better to feel people are just as uninformed and inflexible as I am.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Uuuugggghhhh...FFS. 

smh.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• no no no no... I can barely wipe myself or hold my pee cup in the right spot at the doctor's office anymore, lol...
    The Mrs.
  • I've actually read about this being suggested by some midwives. Apparently, if they train you on how, it can be less stressful than having a doctor do it (ha! I imagine I'd be super stressed trying to figure out how and what I'm even looking for), and releasing less stress hormones can help keep labor from slowing down. This was for during labor....I'm with you guys, all I could think was wait a minute, so I'm in LABOR and supposed to figure out how to finagle myself in a way where I can reach my own cervix?! No.
  • I've never heard of this, but have been able to feel my own cervix before. So I guess if you were really curious you could feel up in there and estimate the dilation...not something I will try, though!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah no. Don't know what to look for plus that's just akward if you can even reach.
  • Wouldn't it invite potential infection????  
  • @Hbirdie Best gifs. Perfect. If I could love them twice I would!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Someone on this board told me to check my own a few months ago when I first started dilating.   I did not take her advice.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• I would never even attempt it. I'm not that big so I don't have some of the size complications some of you ladies do BUT I would be to concerned about introducing infection. Plus, how would I know what I'm "looking" for?!? I don't know what my cervix feels like before being effaced or anything and I'm terrible at knowing what 2 centimeters verses 6 would feel like. 
  • If your water is still intact and your hands are clean then there is little risk of infection. You trust your OB to go up there, so what's the difference?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I wouldn't be so concerned with checking myself, I just would have no idea what to look for. And again, it doesn't really matter at this point... When it happens it will happen.

Son is 10 yrs old

Daughter is 8 yrs old

Son is Due Sept 18, 2013

• mrskeyte9 said:
    What the crap? It is absolutely gross just thinking about it. I am trying to imagine how someone can do this. I can barely put on my own undies ; this one is just MIND BLOWING!!!
    I got my foot stuck sideways in my sweat pants earlier and had to yell for DH because I couldn't reach...if I'm having that bad of problem with my pants, how in the crap do you get up into your cervix?! Lol.
    OMG!! Thank you for this!  I'm picturing you stuck in your pants and yelling.  That totally made my day.
  • This post sort of makes me giggle. If you squat over a toilet, you can get up there. Maybe not to your cervix, but you can at least get a finger or two in there. As long as your membranes are intact, infection is minimized for LO. Some women have low cervices, which means they can feel theirs. Others have higher cervices and they can't feel theirs. As for what to do when you get up there, you have to know cm with your fingers - not something most untrained women can do. I agree that even if I was able to feel my cervix, I'm not sure I could tell how dilated I was. Plus, is it going to change anything? Nope. FWIW - its easier for your OB/MW to check you because of the angle they are "going in" at - much different from the selfie angle!

• Well there's no way in hell I could even reach it even if I wanted to, but I don't really think its that gross, I mean it's your own body. It's pretty much the same thing as checking cervical position when TTC, which I did every month during our TTC journey. You wash your hands before and after, nbd. I wouldn't do it because aside from the fact that I can't reach, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing and I'd probably become obsessive about checking after every contraction.
    This.  I checked my cervix multiple times when TTC.  It's not gross, (really?  Do that many people find their bodies gross?) But I'm not the type to attempt this while pregnant.  Though my midwife did tell me what to feel for (I particularly liked the analogy of the marshmallow-like softening of the cervix!) But again, I'd probably check all the time and cause myself undue worry.
  • Why is everyone so concerned with infection?? If sex is safe, why would your hand not be? That said, there is no way I could reach.
  • A lot of people do it.  remember not everyone deals with OBs some women deal more holistically and want a 100 percent connect with thier pregnancy...and that includes cervical checks.  I on the other hand dont even let my Dr do it lol.
    After three miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy we are currently pursuing adoption. " Born not from our flesh, but born in our heart. You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start."
  • @nukke. I think it's gross, even when I did it I found it gross. I know it's my own body and I shouldn't find it gross, but I do.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • If I felt that it wouldn't cause me undue stress I would do it. I know what my cervix feels like and i would wash my hands before. I'm not grossed out by my body.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"