1st Trimester
Options

Update--In tears re: negative prognosis from NT scan

palomaLunapalomaLuna member
edited September 2013 in 1st Trimester
I went for my nuchal translucency scan last week and the ultrasound tech discovered a large pocket of fluid behind the baby's neck (he called it a cystic hygroma.) The space behind the neck, in a normal scan, can be up to 2.5 - 3mm. This was 7mm, and extended all the way to baby's trunk. We're looking at a very high risk of chromosomal abnormalities, including Trisomy 21, 18 and 13. I'm so sad about this. We scheduled an amniocentesis for when I am 16 weeks. The waiting is going to be really difficult.

Just had to share somewhere since we haven't even announced my pregnancy to our families yet, beyond the very closest members. We were waiting for our first ultrasound to make the announcement, and that was it. I'll be showing soon so I guess we'll have to say something then, but I'm not looking forward to sharing all the details. 

Any advice on how to go about sharing the news? Or not?

EDD: 03/01/13;  DD: 10/26/13

Mourning the loss of Amarine Stella, born at 21 weeks, 6 days.
We will always love you, our little angel.

Re: Update--In tears re: negative prognosis from NT scan

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Im sorry you are going through this. Tell people if you need their support through this, but if you are not ready there is nothing wrong with waiting if you can still hide it or are not showing.

Good luck. Sorry I don't have any real advice.
  • Options
    I had a high NT measurement, was told the risk of chromosomal abnormally was 1 in 4, had a CVS that was negative and my daughter is now 4 months old and perfectly fine (she is a chunky monkey and has a thicker neck than my son.). Please don't give up hope!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    palomaLunapalomaLuna member
    edited August 2013
    Thank you ALL!

Thanks especially for the helpful, hopeful words, aliandchris. That eases my anxiety so much.

• Options
    I remember crying for the 48 hours it took to get the chromosomal results back. I'm so sorry for the stress you are going through (because I know how awful it is). False positives are unfortunately common so keep that in the forefront!
  • Options
    Pp is right; definitely make sure they do the blood test! My odds of an abnormality were so high, the offered the CVS (which I risked) and once they have the genetic tissue, they can test for everything beyond these 3 trisomies. You can have the full blood test results back in 10 days versus waiting for an amnio. If you want to PM me with any questions, please do! I haven't posted on thebump before because I used to have trouble doing so with my iPad. Apparently the system upgrade has made it easier!
  • Options
    Can you do the Harmony or Maternit21 test? You'd have the answers definitively in a week instead if doing a riskier amnio in a month.
    I would love to. I asked my midwife and the genetic counselor about it and they both just referred back to the CA standard prenatal screening.

I will definitely dig deeper to see if I can find some place that would offer me either of those tests.

Thank you!

• Options
    PM'd you, aliandchris. Grazie!

• Options
    I hope everything turns out okay. I just wanted to let you know I can relate to how you are feeling. My DD had markers for Trisomy 18 at her 20 week U/S and we had an amnio done then.. waiting was awful. I could barely enjoy anything at all until we got the results. Everything was fine. Sometimes there are abnormalities on the scans that turn out to be no big deal in the end!
  • Options
    I have no good advice or experience, I just wanted to tell you that we're here for you. Sending Ts and Ps your way.
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thank you, kalette and mrsronzio. I appreciate the hope and can use all the prayers I can get!

You ladies are wonderful.

• Options
    Sorry you have gotten this unsettling report. Hopefully everything will turn out ok!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    HI there.  So sorry you are going through this.  I just wanted to let you know that my daughter has Turner Syndrome.  Many of the families I have met had their daughters diagnosed in utero due to a cystic hygroma.  My daughter did not have one, but it is very common with TS girls.  Now, don't run off and google TS because, believe me, its WAAAAYYYY better than what it sounds online.  I'm telling you this because I want you to know that I can connect you with other women who have gone through this scary part of pregnancy.  Please feel free to PM if you want to talk with some other moms who had this same thing happen.  Hang in there momma!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    erbearerbear member
    edited September 2013
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Good luck with your amnio. Tell people who you think will be supportive, especially if you'll have to make hard decisions about your pregnancy, and keep it quiet to everyone else. Please also remember that sometimes markers don't mean doom and gloom - stay positive! Hugs to you.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

Thanks again for all the support, Ts&Ps!
    Well, I was able to go in for the Harmony test, and that revealed a 99% chance of Turner Syndrome, which we will confirm with the amniocentesis on Monday.

• Options
    I'm so sorry your are going through this. You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this. T&P's that monday may bring good news.
  • Options
    I personally would not share the news unless someone one asks. wait til you have more information. Hugs and good luck.
    ^This. It's really none of anyone's business, and who knows? Like PPs, it may turn out for the best.

I don't have any other advice. I'm so sorry. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Thank you!

I am starting to show, so if people ask now, I will confirm that I'm pregnant. But they don't need to know anything beyond that.

I am planning to carry this baby as long as she'll stay, and I hope she'll make it to term.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"