Baby Names

Is Kelly a girl or boy name to you?

rider5344rider5344 member
edited August 2013 in Baby Names
I absolutely ADORE the name Kelly for a boy (he would be Kelly James InsertIrishLNhere). DS is Donald Greig. While I find it highly masculine and know that older generations do also (think 50+) A lot of our generation does not. What is your take? Too socially accepted now as a girl name for a boy or time to take it back :) I personally find nothing feminine about the name at all. So what are your thoughts, and please feel free to add comments one way or the other, Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Is Kelly a girl or boy name to you? 175 votes

Too feminine, no way
43% 76 votes
Time to take it back, go for it
26% 46 votes
Either way I don't like it
9% 16 votes
Either way I like it
20% 36 votes
SS
0% 1 vote

Re: Is Kelly a girl or boy name to you?

• I prefer it for a girl but, I don't mind it on a boy.
  • When I hear the name I assume girl, but I like it on a boy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's all boy to me, I've always thought it was too masculine for a girl.

image  image

• The only Kellys I know are my Grandpa & my Uncle. I assume boy, but am not surprised either way.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • I'm an 80's child so I knew a lot of female Kelly's growing up. But I've also known a few male Kelly's, so it works on both in my opinion.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• It is unisex to me since it trended so high for girls in my generation. But it has fallen quite a bit in use for girls since the 70s, I think the trend is over. Meanwhile it has been consistently used as a boy name, just not super popular. I think it probably won't be considered unisex for future generations, it will resume being predominately an under used boy name.

I voted time to take it back.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I am a Kellie so naturally I say girl.

BFP 8/9/2013
    EDD for our baby boy 4/14/2014
    Eli Thomas born 4/22/2014

• I'm a Kellie as well, one of my husband's female relatives is a Kelly and also growing up in the 80's/90's (kelly kapowski) feel like it's a girl name now. I was just explaining to one of my international student's last week that it used to be a boy's name but now is used for girls. I don't think it's bad on a boy, I just think people would assume it's a girl from the name. 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited August 2013
    I always think girl first. Growing up, the only Kellys I knew of were a girl in my class, Barbie's little sister, and Kelly Kapowski. FWIW, my husband actually has a brother named Kelly and he still considers Kelly to be primarily a girl name now.

ETA that while girl is always my first thought, I wouldn't side eye you for naming a boy Kelly.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's 100% unisex to me. If I had a Kelly on my class roster, I would make no assumptions. The first Kellys I knew were boys (2 of them growing up), but over all, I have known more girls than boys with this name.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Love Kelly on a boy!
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • mh89mh89 member
    Don't like it strictly because it is so unisex and could lead to confusion and annoyance for the child in question. That said, if I HAD to use it, I'd use it on a girl. 

Boys tend to be teased more over having "girly names" than the other way around (which the feminist in me really hates, but its the sad truth).
    image image

• I think it's unisex, but I don't like it because it feels too 80s to me.

• edited August 2013
    If this was 20 years ago I might assume a Kelly was a girl, but it peaked in 1977 has fallen steadily since then. In fact I think it is so dated on a girl I might guess boy first. I think it is time to take it back. If this baby is a boy Kelly Patrick is on our short list. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I think girl first. I don't know if I have ever met a male Kelly, personally. But I don't think it is an awful choice for a boy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My name is Kelly, so of course I always think of girl first. I work with a couple of female Kellys and went to school with only female Kellys. I believe I have only known 2 male Kellys in my entire life. I think that it could easily go both ways. I've never really thought too much about my name being unisex because I just haven't met too many male Kellys. I think it is refreshing that you want to bring this name back, boy or girl! I have always loved my name.

However just a warning... a lot of unpleasant words rhyme with Kelly: smelly, belly, jelly which has always irritated me, not that any of them were used in a demeaning way towards me, but it is possible.
  • I like it a lot better on a boy
  • My mind goes automatically to girl name; but I know plenty of men named Kelly, Shannon, Dana, and Linn that I don't actually say "she/her" without finding out if it is a man or a woman. 

However, it is NMS for a boy or a girl; it just seems really dated.  Girl = 80s, Boy = 50/60s

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• It can go either way. Within my age group, the majority of Kellys are female, so the only confusion I experience is based on spelling. I still have to spell it for people as they always ask, Kelly with a -Y, -EY, -IE, or -I?? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My name is Kelly, so of course I always think of girl first. I work with a couple of female Kellys and went to school with only female Kellys. I believe I have only known 2 male Kellys in my entire life. I think that it could easily go both ways. I've never really thought too much about my name being unisex because I just haven't met too many male Kellys. I think it is refreshing that you want to bring this name back, boy or girl! I have always loved my name.

However just a warning... a lot of unpleasant words rhyme with Kelly: smelly, belly, jelly which has always irritated me, not that any of them were used in a demeaning way towards me, but it is possible.
    Only one person ever teased me with these names repeatedly (actually used these specific ones all in one go---smelly kellie belly jelly roll) but it wasn't fun at the time. It really does rhyme with a lot of awful words to tease someone with. 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think it's a great name for a boy - and since Kelly is much less common for girls now than when you were growing up I think a boy with that name would have it easier now than back then (plus there are more names that are successfully being used both ways now). It may be a bit dated either way, but that's not necessarily a bad thing to me.
  • I know at least two males who have the name Kelly.  I have always thought it was a girls name until I met these two guys.  It is not a name I would ever consider for a boy, but I would no longer side eye seeing it used on a boy. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• While these days I might assume girl if I saw the name Kelly on paper, I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was the name of a boy.  I voted that I like it either way.
  • My name is Kelly, but I grew up knowing a couple of male Kellys as well. So, while I identify it more as a female name, I really like it for boys, too.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • annabelle.27annabelle.27 member
    edited September 2013
    My husband's name is Kelly so for me it is boy. I admit when I met him though it seemed like a girl's name. But I also come from the era in which Kelly was a popular girl name. I think now, as a girl's name, it is very dated (like Tiffany, Jennifer) and so probably could be reclaimed as a boy name. I doubt a male Kelly will have many female Kellys in his school today. But I could be biased :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I know both girls and boys named Kelly. I think it's still a unisex name and I actually prefer it on a boy.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• All girl to me
  • I would say girl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"