Baby Names

Would you avoid Arthur...

...if your MIL had a wicked thick Boston accent?

I've been thinking a bit about names for extremely hypothetical DS2, and I love Arthur. I particularly like it in a sibset with DS1 Atticus; both are men renowned in literature for their outstanding moral fiber.

But I can already hear her: "Aahthah! Ahhtie!"

WWYD?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you avoid Arthur...

• That wouldn't deter me. My son is Everett and my IL's pronounce it like Eh-vert. It drives me crazy, but that's just how it works with their accents.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• She is just one person. I say use it. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • mh89mh89 member
    Arthur and Atticus is a perfect sibset! Use it! :)
    image image

• Love it! Don't walk away just because of that!
    Me-Caciona (30) DH- Dave (41) 9/27/08
    Mommy to Nils David since 9/21/11
    Expecting Serafina Ann  around 4/23/2014

• If you love it, use it. I've seen worse. For example - my sisters side of the family had a boy named Liam - it took me six months before I realized that was his name and not Limb. It drives me crazy (especially since my sister does not have a heavy accent, but was still pronouncing the way the rest of the family said it), but one of the aunts calls him Tree Limb as a nickname, which I found hilarious since I thought that's what his name was. But the parents pronounced it that way too, so I think if it's just one person, it's not a problem.
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Sweet-thanks guys!
  • ObLaDi said:

But I can already hear her: "Aahthah! Ahhtie!"

Haha!! I'm a native Masshole myself, and this made me laugh! And I have an Uncle Aahthah!

Use the name! It goes great with Atticus, you love it, go with it! I wouldn't let a wickid pissah Bawstin accent get in the way, LOL!

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"