Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Keratosis Pilaris - skin issue

My daughter has something called keratosis pilaris.  Basically it looks like tiny little bumps all over her cheeks on her face, legs, and arms.  They do not itch her or anything like that.  It is a genetic thing... I have it and so does my sister and father.  I only have a few spots on my middle arms but other than that as I grew up, mine on my face went away.  Anyway, just seeing if anyone else's child has this and if so, what kind of lotion do you use to help it?!  Or do you have any other suggestions that help it clear up a bit?

Re: Keratosis Pilaris - skin issue

• Options
    There's no cure for it. I have it, too, and so does my dad and my DD1. Mine has gotten better on its own, over time. 

My dermatologist said that keeping DD1's skin moisturized will help, and that seems to be the case. She just said a regular, good quality, unscented lotion is fine. She doesn't recommend anything stronger or special for children because it's solely a cosmetic issue. We use coconut oil on DD1's skin because she has really dry skin, some days are better than others but she always has a little bit of chicken skin. 

My pedi said that eventually, we may want to consider a lotion with alpha hydroxy acid. But she also emphasized that it's cosmetic, not something she recommends treating unless the child is bothered by it (more likely when they're older), and that the quality AHA lotions need to be used consistently once you start and can be rather expensive. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    There's no cure for it. I have it, too, and so does my dad and my DD1. Mine has gotten better on its own, over time. 

My dermatologist said that keeping DD1's skin moisturized will help, and that seems to be the case. She just said a regular, good quality, unscented lotion is fine. She doesn't recommend anything stronger or special for children because it's solely a cosmetic issue. We use coconut oil on DD1's skin because she has really dry skin, some days are better than others but she always has a little bit of chicken skin. 

My pedi said that eventually, we may want to consider a lotion with alpha hydroxy acid. But she also emphasized that it's cosmetic, not something she recommends treating unless the child is bothered by it (more likely when they're older), and that the quality AHA lotions need to be used consistently once you start and can be rather expensive. 

All of this exactly. I have it as does my sister and niece but only on the upper arms. Odd enough my derm told me one of the best treatments for it is sun exposure (with sunscreen of course).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    popping in to add: Coconut Oil works well on this for me and my daughter who both have this -- put it on after the shower/bath :)
    xo, Heather

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    awesome, thank you everyone!  Definitely will try coconut oil.  I understand that there is no cure for it and that it is simply a cosmetic issue but I'd like to try to combat it best I can!
  • Options
    Yup, DD has it, as do I.  Pedi said it's not uncommon and just to keep the affected areas moisturized.  My SIL, who is a PA with a background in dermatology, let me know that, for my own skin, I can use a topical alpha-hydroxy preparation if I wanted.  As the other poster mentioned, it's really just cosmetic, but I admit I do feel bad when I see those patches of skin on DD.  I just really try to be vigilant about keeping her arms and legs from getting too dry - a real challenge here in super-dry Alberta!
  • Options
    Oh thank you for the great advice.  Yes, I too feel so bad that I feel bad about her skin issues.  The bumps literally cover her entire cheeks on her face, all of her arms, and legs.  Feel so bad about it and worse that it came from my side of the family.  Her brother, her twin, has clear and smooth skin so it's hard not to compare the differences! I know it's strictly cosmetic but I'd like to help it :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"