1st Trimester

Stay at home jobs?

So I know being in the first trimester this is a little early to be asking, but does anyone know of any legit stay at home jobs? There's so many scams out there, but need a stay at home job once the baby comes

Re: Stay at home jobs?

• Just a word of advice from a mom who works at home occasionally: you will still need childcare, especially after the first few months.  You simply can't care for an infant (or especially a toddler!) and still expect to do a full-time job simultaneously.
  • I agree with PP.  Pretty much no one is going to pay you to stay at home and take care of your kid.  Most Stay at home jobs involve telecommuting through your current job and you still have to find child care.  You might be able to do medical transcription work, but those jobs involve training and I think are hard to find. 

Could you watch another child in your home ?

• Loading the player...
  • SassyFlatsSassyFlats member
    edited August 2013
    What do you do now? What is your job experience? My current employer is going to transition my full-time position to a part-time position mostly working from home. Much of what I do can still be accomplished outside the office. Not all jobs are like that, but if you're already working they may be more willing to be flexible than you think!

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • Yeah, if you can't afford to live on just your SO's salary, staying at home isn't in the cards for you. Whether you work at home or work out of the house, you'll still need child care, because you won't get a blessed thing done while caring for your child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Well this wasn't much help. My mom, aunt, and mother in law all worked at home when they had little ones, and besides, I asked what stay at home jobs are out there, not how possible it is to stay at home with a job. I wish you all just answered my question rather than just patronizing me
  • edited August 2013
    Look. Short of watching kids or working out a remote working situation with a current employer, there aren't really any other legit, lucrative WAH ventures. The first suggestion, you don't need to make childcare arrangements for your kid, but the second suggestion, you will; it'd be just like having to get up and go to work. Trust us on this one, if you're taking care of a kid, the only thing you'll get done is take care of a kid. Well, okay, you can squeeze in eating, showering, and some housework, too, but it's in fits and spurts. You won't get any productive work done. Experience speaking. You can annoy the piss out of your friends/family by always trying to sell them stuff, like Scentsy or something, but mlm marketing schemes usually don't work out for the individual business owner. If you're skilled at something, like graphic design, then you can free-lance or set up an Etsy shop or whatever, but you'd still have to arrange for childcare, because you won't get anything done. Same with things like medical coding, typing transcripts for the courthouse, etc.

Bottom line: if you work at home, you will still need to arrange for childcare in most situations. Your better option is, as a previous poster said, to work a shift opposite your SO. WAH isn't impossible, but it's rarely worth the effort financially. That's not being patronizing. That's real world.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • pandadairpandadair member
    edited August 2013
    I don't know where you live (or what kind of income you're expecting), but "Work From Home Reservations" is its own search category on Hilton's career website. As others have said, though, I don't know how that would work without childcare. It's kind of hard to constantly be on the phone if you have a baby to deal with.

I actually work from home full-time in the hospitality industry, but it's for a company I was with for a while and was able to negotiate a remote setup when we had to move. I also fully plan to utilize childcare whenever the baby thing actually happens, since I figure it's probably frowned upon to muzzle your child and leave them in another room while you're on conference calls.

• My sister in law opened a day care in her home.  She was legally allowed to have up to 5 kids in her home.  Since she had one child, she could have 4 others.  This was a great way to make some money and raise her own child.

If you know how to play a musical instrument well, you could try finding some students to teach.

You could also tutor children in a subject, especially if you have specific training.

You could offer research help to university/college students.  Perhaps offer to do some research for their papers or offer to do spell check or grammar check.
  • pandadairpandadair member
    edited September 2013
    elmoali said:
    RebeccaY1 said:
    My sister in law opened a day care in her home.  She was legally allowed to have up to 5 kids in her home.  Since she had one child, she could have 4 others.  This was a great way to make some money and raise her own child.

If you know how to play a musical instrument well, you could try finding some students to teach.

You could also tutor children in a subject, especially if you have specific training.

You could offer research help to university/college students.  Perhaps offer to do some research for their papers or offer to do spell check or grammar check.
    @RebeccaY1 For the love of all that is holy, please don't come within a hair's breadth of implying that mothers who work outside the home do not raise their own children.  Rare is the father who stays at home and no one ever is so ballsy as to say he isn't raising his children.
    imageimageApparently my "Preach!" gif didn't want to work. So... Preach! I've already gotten so annoyed with people asking whether I plan to stay home that I now respond "I don't know, aren't you going to ask DH that same thing?" I always find it funny how people that think you "aren't raising your children" when you have them in daycare 9 times out of 10 send them off to school once they're 5.

• I just can't.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • imakeeff0rtsimakeeff0rts member
    edited September 2013
    RebeccaY1 said:
    My sister in law opened a day care in her home.  She was legally allowed to have up to 5 kids in her home.  Since she had one child, she could have 4 others.  This was a great way to make some money and raise her own child.

No to this. I was a TA and that is considered (at many universities and CCs) to be academic dishonesty. 

ETA: No one "patronized" you OP. You did get legitimate suggestions, but you just blanketed and said that everyone was unhelpful. Reading fail on your part. You also didn't include in your OP any relevant information about yourself in terms of education, work experience, etc., to help people answer your question more fully.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• EnamiEnami member
    edited September 2013
    With DS, I worked outside the home until this past June. Now I work from home. I started a business (marketing design) with a partner, dabble in direct sales (Arbonne), and teach art classes through a studio. My Mom watches DS 3days a week with another little boy in her home, and I pull a lot of late nights trying to get everything done. I took a significant pay cut, feel like I work more than ever before, but I'm doing what I love while having more time with my child, which was what it was all about. Honestly, we couldn't live on me doing what I do now, and I still need childcare to get going. The start-up phase is the hardest, and you will have it with any self-directed business. But I wouldn't be doing this if it was "just a job".
    -A well-tended garden is indicative of a well-tended soul.-
    image  image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I know women who care for other people's children in their home with their own for income.  If you like caring for children that doesn't seem like a bad gig.

• I know women who care for other people's children in their home with their own for income.  If you like caring for children that doesn't seem like a bad gig.

My sister in law loved it!  It was a personal decision, but she had a hard time once the her maternity leave was over.  She really wanted to find something that allowed her to stay home with her child.  Personally, I think it would be really hard to transform my home into a daycare and constantly have other kids running around my home all the time, but she loved it.
  • I'm sure you can make pretty decent money, too - no?
  • It's pretty difficult to find a job you can do from home. Usually it works out best if its an arrangement you can make with your current employer.

I started doing Passion Parties when my oldest was 18 months old and it's been a wonderful choice for me. I work on the weekends when DH can be home with the kids. The money is far better than I expected and I really enjoy what I do. 

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"