Baby Names

Almost There!! Top 2 are: Sofia/Sophia and Emilia

bwralcbwralc member
edited August 2013 in Baby Names
We are deciding between Sofia/Sophia and Emilia to be DD2's name. DD1 is Olivia Grace and we really don't mind popularity so that is not a factor. Also if you pick one of the Sofia/Sophia's can you please say why you chose that spelling and if you choose Emilia, please explain how you pronounce it. Thanks!!!
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Almost There!! Top 2 are: Sofia/Sophia and Emilia 140 votes

Sofia
15% 21 votes
Sophia
40% 57 votes
Emilia
44% 62 votes

Re: Almost There!! Top 2 are: Sofia/Sophia and Emilia

• magsugar13magsugar13 member
    edited August 2013
    sofia because I prefer the Italian spelling (it is an Italian name) so I would go with the original spelling
  • I like the sound of Sophia better and this spelling looks softer to me :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I love Emilia
    Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • I'm just going by personal opinion to be honest. I've seen it spelled Sofia before but really don't think it looks right. Also, if you call her "Sophie" I think that looks a bit better than "Sofie". It almost looks as if sofia would be pronounced "saw-fa" versus "so-phe-a." Just my opinion though! Good luck! :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mj.reilly said:
    I have always preferred Sofia. I don't know why, exactly. I guess it feels more sophisticated, simple, and elegant.

I think Emilia is nice too. It is not my favorite. /eh-MEEL-ya/
    That is what is holding me up on Emilia.  Everyone tells me Emilia is pronounced differently from Amelia.  Sorry I'm not good at doing the correct pronunciation lettering but.  I say Amelia
    Uh-MEEL-ya and I say Emilia EM-eel-ya.  However I've noticed most pronounce them almost exactly the same.
  • I voted Emilia. Pronunciation: Eh-meel-ee-ah.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • LMvW85 said:
    I voted Emilia. Pronunciation: Eh-meel-ee-ah.
    This is more how I say it, i'm so bad at writing out how I pronounce things.
  • hmm it may be location and accent.  I'm in the Chicagoland area and I've noticed that everyone around here says Uh-livia-uh instead of what seems like how other people pronounce it as O-live-ia.  I guess it's similiar for Emilia
  • Annie10 said:
    I voted Sophia. For some silly reason my eyes see Sofia and my brain thinks sofa. I know, strange.
    Me too. I'm just not a fan of Emilia for no particular reason.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• ok so I know this makes me seem like a total idiot but how do I view my poll results?  It's hiding the results from me, do I have to vote on my own poll?  The bump tech support is still showing the old forum layout and answers ::sigh:::
  • bwralcbwralc member
    edited August 2013
    @mj.reilly that is such a silly process, of course I should know better it's the bump ;).  Thanks so much for answering, I'm usually mobile and can't do much of anything so this is my first poll since the conversion. :)
  • mh89mh89 member
    I voted or Emilia. Sophia and Olivia were the names of Jude Law's children in the movie The Holiday (great movie btw). I definitely prefer the ph spelling in Sophia as well.
    image image

• I confuse Sophia and Olivia a lot, they aren't all that similar so idk why, but I prefer Emilia anyhow.

• I chose the Sophia spelling, but it's most likely because that's how my grandmother's name was spelled, so it looks most correct to me.

image  image

• Emilia. I pronounce it like Emilio, but with an A. Eh Meel ee uh
    ✯             ✯              ✯          ✯               ✯     ✯             ✯         ✯     ✯          ✯                   
  • I pronounce Emilia the way Emilia Clark says her name: Eh-meel-Leah. It's similar, but more elegant than Amelia, which I have always heard pronounced Uh-meel-yuh. For Sophia, I like this spelling. It looks more complete and doesn't make me think of sofa.
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • +ASH+ said:

I pronounce Emilia the way Emilia Clark says her name: Eh-meel-Leah. It's similar, but more elegant than Amelia, which I have always heard pronounced Uh-meel-yuh.

For Sophia, I like this spelling. It looks more complete and doesn't make me think of sofa.

Funny I had to google Emilia Clark, since I didn't know who she was. :). Thanks for the feedback!
  • Emilia is my daughters name. We say it like Emily not a long e.
  • Love Sophia. The other two are nice too.
  • My DD is Sophia, so obviously that's my vote. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Emilia Rose is my daughters name and we say it with a short e like Emily with an a

• I say it Eh-MEEL-ee-yuh. I pronounce Amelia as uh-MEEL-yuh.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09 member
    edited March 2014
    Emilia, and I pronounce it EH-MEEL-YA

Eta: As opposed to Amelia UH-MEEL-YA

• Olivia and Sophia!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"