May 2013 Moms
Options

Over all of the spit up

My LO is 3.5 months old and constantly spits up. I mean constantly. She's happy and gaining weight, but man does she spit up. The amount of baby laundry I do on a daily basis is insane. I've stopped dressing her at home, and just let her hang out in her diaper because she's always soaking her clothes. Her dr. prescribed her some Zantac, but I don't think it seems to help any. My husband and I both have trouble with reflux and stomach issues, so before she was even born I was expecting this. We've tried Similac and Similac Sensitive, but it's so foamy, it gave her horrible gas pains along with spit up, Enfamil and Enfamil Gentlease and now we are using the Parents Choice Gentle. I want to put her on Enfamil AR, but I'm worried about the constipation side effect. She goes back to the dr in a couple of weeks for a 4 month check up, and I was just going to try to ride it out until then but I'm just so tired of everything I own covered in spit up. I forgot what it was like to not smell of baby formula. So my question is... if anybody out there is having trouble with their LO spitting up all of the time, which formulas worked best for you? I'm stuck between choosing Gerber Good Start Gentle and Enfamil AR. ( We use Dr. Browns and Avent bottles, burp frequently and keep her upright for at least 30 minutes after eating, but none of that really matters because she still unleashes some formula)

Re: Over all of the spit up

• Options
    But I'm bad and I just wipe the excess off and let it dry. I'll change him if its reeeeally bad or if its like the fifth time and the smell gets bad, or if someone comes over.

I'm the same way. As long as he's not in pain, I'm not too concerned about the spit up. This is my second time dealing with a super spitter though. DS1 finally got better with the spitting up around 7 months. I just plan on not buying any new clothes for myself for awhile :) Btw, I had the same foamy problem with similac sensitive. Putting gas drops directly into the formula seemed to help, so DS wasn't swallowing all those bubbles. DS3 is now on the purple similac (can't remember what it's called...it's newer...a step between sensitive and alimentum). The foam isn't as bad, but he still spits up as much.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    TradeMamaTradeMama member
    edited August 2013
    With DS2, it only got better when he was sitting up and eating solids. After that it was like night and day. We tried Zantac, special formula, etc. too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't help with formula but I can relate to the spit up. My left shoulder constantly stinks.

But I'm bad and I just wipe the excess off and let it dry. I'll change him if its reeeeally bad or if its like the fifth time and the smell gets bad, or if someone comes over.

He does go through a few bibs a day though.

I do the same. DH says when he comes home he can smell both of us. I know that's nasty but it is what it is. LO is also a happy spitter. So I'm not worried. I don't want to medicate him if he's not in pain. And his pedi wasn't worried either. And sorry, no advice on formula. LO is breast fed. But he spits up a ton and I wanted to commiserate. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Happy spitter here, too. Our doctor is having us try Zantac, too, just because of the frequency and volume. He said it may help, but it may not, but it was worth a shot. It's a fairly gentle med, so we're going to give it a shot. He's having us try it for a few weeks; if we don't see a difference, we don't need to keep using it. He wasn't terribly concerned, either. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Happy spitter here, too. Our doctor is having us try Zantac, too, just because of the frequency and volume. He said it may help, but it may not, but it was worth a shot. It's a fairly gentle med, so we're going to give it a shot. He's having us try it for a few weeks; if we don't see a difference, we don't need to keep using it. He wasn't terribly concerned, either. 

Same story here. c was on zantac for about a month until I deemed it pointless. He's not uncomfortable but spits up quite a bit. Sometimes hours after he's eaten. He's on similac advanced.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know if any of you have seen the same trend but my LO never spit up that first month and half, then it started like crazy. Around the same time all the saliva and drooling got out of control. I mentioned it to his PT when he spit up on her table once and she said often the excess saliva causes more spitting up from what she's seen. No idea if that's true. But seems so with my guy.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My LO is a constant happy spitter. It's all day long and at night. I don't have any advice on which formula works. We are on similac alimentum and the pedi said it would cause spit up because it's so thin. She has reflux so he told us to add cereal but I tried that and first she still spit up and second she hated it. I've been told once they eat solids it gets better, so keeping my fingers crossed. I did try all similac advanced and sensitive and enfamil and they all caused her to spit up.
  • Options
    I used to use gerber good start and it was great. I liked it much better than similac. It mixed up easier, less gas, less spit up, but every baby is different. Worth a try though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"