Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Southern Cookin'

Where are all the southern gals at? I need some help!

I'm making Peach Cobbler and Fried Green Tomatoes to take to a cookout this weekend and have never made either dish.
Anyone have any good recipes or tips for one or both? I'm pretty savvy in the kitchen, so all skill sets are welcome! 

TIA

Re: Southern Cookin'

• Options
    LOTS OF BUTTER!

No, but really.  Lots of butter in the topping of the cobbler makes it so much better. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Options
    EllyD14 said:
    LOTS OF BUTTER!

No, but really.  Lots of butter in the topping of the cobbler makes it so much better. 

I am not a southern girl by birth; however, southern food is some of my favorite food to cook. EllyD14 is right - butter makes everything so much better, specially when it comes to cobblers.  
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mmb248mmb248 member
    edited August 2013
    For the fried green tomatoes, fry 3 pieces of bacon in the pan, then add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan plus a splash.  You don't want the tomatoes swimming in the oil.  Mix up an egg and some buttermilk to coat the tomato slices.  Some people say to dip in flour, then egg mixture, then cornmeal, but my granny always just mixed the flour and cornmeal together.  I like hers just fine!  Just be sure to add salt and pepper to the flour/cornmeal mixture.

ETA:  Words are hard.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • Options
    I'm not southern, and I can't help... but I'm inviting myself to your cookout :)
  • Options
    This is a pretty good fried green tomatoes recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/fried-green-tomatoes-recipe/index.html.

My favorite is to put a dollop of homemade pimento cheese on the fried green tomatoes. Bacon or prosciutto is also a nice extra.

Ditto what @EllyD14 said on the butter. It makes that crust so good. 
    Have you ever had a BLFGT?  (bacon, lettuce, and fried green tomato)  OMG.

I need to try the pimento cheese on a fried green tomato.  My mom makes toasted pimento cheese sandwiches with tomatoes and bacon.  Swoon.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • Options
    jconno said:
    Where does one get green tomatoes? Are they just unripened tomatoes?
    They sell them at my local grocery stores, and yes they are unripened tomatoes. lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"