Natural Birth
Options

To Tell or Not To Tell?

Back when I was pregnant I was chatting with a friend about her birth experience.  I had already gotten the full story from her fiance, but when I went to chat with her she admitted that she didn't like telling expecting mothers her story since it was so adnormal.  Basically she had some mild contractions for a few hours one morning, went to the hospital just to see what was happening, and was crowning when they went to do the first exam in triage and she didn't even know it.  Her baby was born about 45 minutes after they got to the hospital.  At the time I didn't understand why she wouldn't want to share that, it's an awesome story!  But, now that I've had my own quick, easy, relatively painless natural birth I kind of get where she's coming from.  I am very proud of my birth experience, but at the same time it really is not the "normal labor experience".   I've only been asked by one expecting mother directly about my birth experience and I told her, but made it clear it wasn't normal.  When I was done I worried I maybe gave her a false sense of hope.

So for those of you who are pregnant- are these the sort of things you want to hear?   Do you like getting that hope or would you prefer to get your hopes up?  For me I felt like it helped me in the weeks before I went into labor to use positive thinking (which, who knows, maybe it helped!), but I can also see how hearing these stories would frustrate someone with a long, hard labor during and after the fact.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

Re: To Tell or Not To Tell?

• Options
    Personally I had a crazy delivery with my first that makes it very scary to be looking at another natural birth with this LO. I have been reading every positive birth story to remind myself that every birth is different and some are much easier than others. It has honestly relieved some of my anxiety approaching this next birth to know that not all moms have to go through what I had to go through and that there are good chances I won't have to go through the insanity of my last delivery again. So I say if someone asks you your birth story be proud of it!
  • Options
    I say share with who ever you feel comfortable sharing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only tell my birth stories to those people that ask specifically to hear it. That is *very few* people. I think your story is your story, and you should tell it happily. But I also think that birth is a very individual experience, and there really aren't a lot of people that want to hear about it no matter what kind of story it is.

Now if only I could get DH to stop telling DD's birth story to everyone we see.
  • Options
    I would say tell! Agree with Pp about picking and choosing who and if they ask but it's wonderful

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm very vocal about my general feelings towards childbirth, and, if it's relevant to the conversation, will readily say things like, "I had great experiences." "I love giving birth." etc,

I only give specific details if people ask, and then tread carefully with my words to ensure that no one thinks that I judge either their experiences or their plans.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I'm due in a week and I would only ask someone their birth story if I wanted to hear it from them.  Usually though, I don't ask, because I've found that many, many women make their story out to be horrible.  Which, it may very well be, but I only want to hear positive stories.  I don't think that's me giving myself false hope.  I think it's putting myself in a certain mindset before labor.  

I say share away if ever someone asks but otherwise, stick to the general "we had a great experience" type comments.
  • Options
    I only tell my birth stories to those people that ask specifically to hear it. That is *very few* people. I think your story is your story, and you should tell it happily. But I also think that birth is a very individual experience, and there really aren't a lot of people that want to hear about it no matter what kind of story it is.

This.  I only tell people who specifically ask.  So far that has been a Bradley class (we were asked to come back and tell our story to one of the classes) and a close friend.  I find that many people don't want to know or particularly care.  I also feel it is pushy to tell someone without being directly asked. 
    I don't think you should feel awkward telling someone your story.  Every birth is different and unique. Most woman know that so telling your story does not give them false hope for a fast, simple birth.  Instead it tells them that in birth anything can happen and it is possible to have a wonderful, uncomplicated birth.  The bold part is the most important thing for expecting mothers to hear!
  • Options
    I agree - if I want to hear someone's birth story, I want to hear it - even if it was an "easy" birth what is wrong with hearing about that?  I mean, no one hesitates to tell you about their 72 hour labor (which is also abnormal) so why not here the positive stories, too?  And also I feel like anyone who has spent any time reading about what to expect would know NOT to expect that fast of a labor, but shows you that there are fast and positive births out there, too.

• Options
    I prefer to hear the positive stories because they keep you in a positive mind-set that this CAN go smoothly. I really think that the way we think about birth has alot of weight on how our experience can go, the mind has alot of power. If we are scared and thinking it's going to be horrible... chances are it's going to be horrible. My delivery of DS1 was horrible and I had ALOT of intervention but I stayed positive about things and I really think that's why I bounced back so well, DS2 I stayed positive and hopeful and it went so incredibly smooth, even with a pushy Dr and nurse. I plan on hypnobirthing with this one in a birth center and we are going into it with open, positive minds and I feel like every positive, happy delivery story that I hear is fuel for that to help maintain my state of mind.
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • Options
    rtv3rtv3 member
    I'm thinking about doing a natural birth but slightly terrified. I want to hear those kinds of stories so that I can tell myself, "See, it doesn't have to be horrible."
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    People just have to realize there are good and bad. There is no way of knowing what your experience will be so hear those good stories and hope that is what you have but be prepared for the worst, not in some dreamland.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    I've had several people ask for my birth story- pretty much everyone I'm close with. I had a natural birth that was not at all painless, it was actually pretty excruciating and lasted 36 hours. I feel bad sharing the stories with expecting mothers because I don't want to scare them to death because most women aren't in labor that long. At the same time I want them to know that if I can go through all that without medicine then so can they!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would much rather hear positive stories than negative ones. There really isn't such thing as a "normal birth". Each is different and women should not feel ashamed of having an "easier birth". Share with whoever you feel could benefit. There's a difference between bragging and inspiring.

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Please tell.  Every birth is different, every story is unique.  Leaving moms to think the only normal story is a long, painful labor does everyone a disservice.  Your story is just as valid and worth hearing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"