Baby Names

Rue?

How do you feel about this name? I know, I know its meaning isn't spectacular but who even uses this verb anymore??

Best Answers

• msronziomsronzio member
    Answer ✓
    I've never seen or read the hunger games *ducks to avoid stones*, but nameberry.com suggested this name and I thought it was pretty cool, esp for a MN.
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Ruby is actually my great grandmother's (still living) name... In sure she would be honored! I love it!
  • I agree, I know it's in the Hunger Games but in all honesty I have not seen or read so I'm not even sure how major the character is who has that name... I'm also considering it as a mn
  • Like PP said, I think it's a great nickname, but not a full first name. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Joy2611 said:
    It screams "Oh I love love LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!"  I just can't support that.
    Yeah my first thought was Hunger Games too, but even without the association I think Rue is better suited as a nickname.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • NerdyLucy said:
    Joy2611 said:

I'm probably in the minority, but my mind goes to The Golden Girls because of the woman who played Blanche. I love my Golden Girls.
    Thought the same thing!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I love Rue, just on its own, it's lovely and simple.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD is Ruth. We call her Rue sometimes. I think it's sweet as a NN or on its own. I do think of Hunger Games and Golden Girls, though.
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • NerdyLucy said:
    Joy2611 said:

I'm probably in the minority, but my mind goes to The Golden Girls because of the woman who played Blanche. I love my Golden Girls.
    That was my first thought, too. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• NerdyLucy said:
    Joy2611 said:

Yes, me too, then Hunger Games. I think Rue in itself is very sweet, but I'd go with a full name (mentioned by pps) and then use Rue as a nn.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My first thought is and will always be Rue Mclanahan. I'm 31, so I was a young child when Golden Girls was new, but it's always been a favorite show of mine, and I've seen every episode well over 50+ times, thanks to reruns constantly being on at all times of the day for the last 25 years, so the names Rue, Bea, Estelle, and Betty will immediately make me think of the actresses. I've never seen or read the Hunger Games. I don't mind it as a nickname, I just think it seems incomplete as a full name.
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Screams HG and it means to regret, from dictionary.com:

rue1  [roo]  Show IPA verb, rued, ru·ing, noun
    verb (used with object)
    to feel sorrow over; repent of; regret bitterly: to rue the loss of opportunities.
    to wish that (something) had never been done, taken place, etc.: I rue the day he was born.
    verb (used without object)
    to feel sorrow, repentance, or regret.
    noun
    sorrow; repentance; regret.
    pity or compassion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our girl name was prudence with rue as a nn! We had a boy, but everyone here and irl loved the name. Though bc of the meaning of rue we for sure wanted a longer formal name
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Our girl name was prudence with rue as a nn! We had a boy, but everyone here and irl loved the name. Though bc of the meaning of rue we for sure wanted a longer formal name

Um I am sleep deprived lol I forgot we changed our mind last minute to Cordelia lol, but it was between the two for months
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"